Low Volume Kayaks - What is gained?

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21492 by rhainan
Low Volume Kayaks - What is gained? was created by rhainan
Theoretically I am the perfect specimen for a low volume kayak. So, I am making the switch from a V10S to a V10L. I have really just started paddling the L so it is not appropriate to make a speed comparison until I am more stable.

However, as a strictly flat water paddler, am I really gaining anything? The cockpit is more snug, but that could be accomplished with padding out a regular V10. I suppose a better fit would make me more stable and therefore faster in open water, but on the flats that is not much of a consideration.

I think the seat position is more forward on the L but I don't know if that equates to speed.

Any thoughts amongst you veteran paddlers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #21493 by Kocho
The theory is that each hull performs best for a specific design displacement (e.g., how heavy the paddler plus any load is). So, theoretically, a person in a boat designed for their weight will paddle faster than in a boat designed for someone else. They may be also more stable compared to a lighter or heavier person in the same boat. Fit and comfort are another factor, which is difficult to achieve by just padding. And ergonomics have to scale with the paddler too - you can't make the catch area of a big wide boat designed for a heavy person as narrow and low as you can for a smaller boat...

Will you be faster on flat water in a L compared to a regular V10? Probably. The V10 is made for bigger folks (not huge and overweight, but above average, I'd say). Too much boat for a smaller/weaker person in many ways. The V10 seems to require a good strong engine on the flats - the V10L should be a bit easier to move through the water for a smaller/weaker person, I would think.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhainan

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21497 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic Low Volume Kayaks - What is gained?
this should clarify the topic...quiet interesting!
www.surfski.info/images/stories/2012/05/...rf%20ski%20kayak.pdf
(I hope the link works)

More
9 years 8 months ago #21518 by red_pepper
If nothing else you'll gain by having noticeably less cross-wind "weather-vaning". I'm primarily a flat-water paddler, and at one time I paddled a V10L for that reason, even though I'm larger than the target weight of the ski. Later I paddled a Stellar SE; it was a beautiful carbon ski, but the larger side area of the ski would really pick up the wind and push me around on the flats - particularly with smaller rudders. Now I'm paddling a V12, which seems to be reasonably resistant to weather-vaning, even though it probably has a little more side area than the V10L (but less than the SE).
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhainan

Latest Forum Topics