First Ski recommendations?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22125 by MCImes
First Ski recommendations? was created by MCImes
Hey all,
I've been lurking on the boards for a few months now after I had one of the funnest paddles of my life in a V10 double. It looks likely that Ill be moving from the Midwest (US) to the east coast, which really lit a fire under my butt to get a ski!

I race canoes up here and would like to race skis once Im out in Connecticut. I have very little double blade experience, so my form isnt awesome and I dont know what I dont know, but I pick up on things very quickly, so I'm fine with a boat that is beyond my current abilities, just not too far beyond (no v14's in my near future). My palette of skis is relatively limited, but Ill pass along my thoughts from the few that I have paddled and maybe you wise folks can set me straight.

So far, I've been able to briefly demo most of the Epic line in flat conditions. Here are my thoughts on them:
V8: super stable. I feel like this isnt 'enough boat' for me. I want something faster.

V10: (old style) Tippy, but I can stay upright. I feel there wouldnt be much of a learning curve to master this boat's stability. Since the new style is supposed to have more secondary stability, I have even greater faith in my ability to quickly become comfortable in this boat.

V12:Very tippy. I dumped 3 times in a short paddle, but was able to get back on and make it back ok. I feel like this would take me a full year of very wet paddling, but I could do it. I think part of it was due to me thinking about how to control the rudder and not having my attention 100% on paddling and staying upright. Also, Im not the greatest with the rudder and when I hit it I wasnt ready to compensate for the side force that it creates.

V10 double: I paddled this with an experienced skier. We were surfing 2'-4' waves and only dumped 1 time in a 2 hour paddle. Stability was fine.

I really want to get a new style V10 because it seems like its a good combo of good speed and good stability. The only reason I dont have one right now is I cant find a new style for sale used (no surprises here as they're only a year old. Everyone who has one must really like it because I've seen almost none for sale on the used market). So, I have my sights set on a new v10, but does anyone else want to suggest another similar ski that may suit me better or you just personally love?

Also, feel free to suggest things I should know, groups I should know about, or whatever you think might be useful to a newbie.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22127 by Type A
Replied by Type A on topic First Ski recommendations?
Hello MClmes,
Had very similar considerations to yourself. Paddling background, ICF racing K1s as a teenager then nothing until sea kayaks after a lifestyle change in my 50s. Tired of the sea kayak and decided on a ski. Researched my needs, brand decision made and organised a demo paddle. Paddled their " intermediate" boat and my first thought was that I would grow out of it very quickly. Purchased an elite layup Think Ion. I paddle two to three times a week, I'm rock solid when it's flat but very tenuous when the side side chop builds up. I paddle for fun and fitness and its a real pleasure to be back in a thoroughbred boat. I remember it took me a year to stop falling out of the K1, so I figure time is what's required in the ski, I have not fallen out as yet but do pick my conditions. With the cost of skis I didn't see the sense in getting a boat that I would have to trade up within a short period. Best advise, dangerous to be in a boat you can't handle, but others will have a vested interest in selling you boats as your skills progress. Good luck with your decisions.
Cheers,
Type A.

Type A

More
9 years 5 months ago #22128 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic First Ski recommendations?
Very addictive this Ocean Ski paddling :-)

If you're ok in the Epic V10 double, then try the following skis

Epic V10 Sport (new model) - little more stable that old in my opinion
Think Evo II
Stellar SEI
FENN Swordfish
Vajda Hawx 46 (at a stretch)

Paddle one of these for 12 months, then buy the next model up but try and keep the old ski for wild days whilst you make the transition or coax someone else into the sport using the more stable ski.

Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
9 years 5 months ago #22129 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic First Ski recommendations?
Yeah, what Portman said. Good advice.

• Grumpytex
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22130 by Grumpytex
Replied by Grumpytex on topic First Ski recommendations?
MCl - Having been in your position a few years ago, I can feel your pain! SMAO
I wrote a very long post about my first experiences "Skinny Skis...its an illness"
Without re-hashing it all again here is my advice;
Purchase a ski first up that you can paddle comfortably in ALL conditions, forget about flat water speed. (Unless that’s your thing) Take it out in the rough stuff and make sure you can stay in it.
If I had my time over again I should have purchased the Epic V10S from the gun, the new model is super stable and quick enough.
I now own a V10 - the Epic quality, comfort and venturi is worth the money.
My 5 cents worth
GT

More
9 years 5 months ago #22131 by [email protected]

Type A wrote: Hello MClmes,
Had very similar considerations to yourself. Paddling background, ICF racing K1s as a teenager then nothing until sea kayaks after a lifestyle change in my 50s. Tired of the sea kayak and decided on a ski. Researched my needs, brand decision made and organised a demo paddle. Paddled their " intermediate" boat and my first thought was that I would grow out of it very quickly. Purchased an elite layup Think Ion. I paddle two to three times a week, I'm rock solid when it's flat but very tenuous when the side side chop builds up. I paddle for fun and fitness and its a real pleasure to be back in a thoroughbred boat. I remember it took me a year to stop falling out of the K1, so I figure time is what's required in the ski, I have not fallen out as yet but do pick my conditions. With the cost of skis I didn't see the sense in getting a boat that I would have to trade up within a short period. Best advise, dangerous to be in a boat you can't handle, but others will have a vested interest in selling you boats as your skills progress. Good luck with your decisions.
Cheers,
Type A.

Check out the resale values in your area - often, especially with skis that are aimed more towards beginner/intermediate, you can resell a ski very quickly for very little discount off what you paid for it. And that makes it even more worthwhile to go for a more stable ski upfront.

The last thing you want to do is find yourself falling out constantly - then paddling less than fun.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 5 months ago #22135 by AR_convert
Welcome!

Agree with much of what has been said earlier.

There is a BIG difference between flat water and the ocean.

I know of a paddler recently who bought a Fenn Glide because he wanted to go quick in flat water races. He had no problem in the flat water but took it out into the ocean and struggled, so much so that when he eventually came out, he couldn't get back in and another paddler had to swap boats with him (he was paddling a more stable ski) to allow this fella to be able to get in and paddle ashore.

You dont want to end up in this predicament. It's funny when you fall in on a river or lake where you can swim ashore with your craft if need be, not so fun when you are out in the ocean.

Find which boat you can manage in the ocean, flat water wont tell you that.

Always looking for the next boat :)

• MCImes
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22136 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic First Ski recommendations?
Thanks for the thoughts so far. It will probably be late spring before I can get out and demo a couple boats but Ill try taking out a V10 sport in moderate chop and see how I do with that. Also, thanks for the other suggestions. Almost everyone in Minnesota has an Epic ski for some reason, so I havent had much exposure to other brands but Ill have to check out the others mentioned as well.

I definitely want something that I can take out in some chop, as downwind surfing is one of the funnest things I've ever done. I read that the NE US isnt very good for downwind paddling, but Ill take what little I can get, and maybe the wife can drop me off for a downwind run when the wind is right.

Keep any more thoughts coming

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22137 by Fath2o
Also check out the Huki S1-R, an excellent intermediate ski and made in US. If you haven't found it already, surfskiracing.org is a great resource based in eastern US. There are several intermediate used skis listed in their classified ads section for sale near you.
Good luck!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Fath2o.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22148 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic First Ski recommendations?
I just paddled in the ocean for the first time yesterday after five years of riding various Epic kayaks around the lakes and rivers of Pennsylvania. "Wow". Flat water and ocean paddling are two almost completely different sports that happen to share some equipment.

I can handle my V10L in just about any conditions on my lake but I had a hard time wrestling a V8 around some pretty mild ocean conditions in South Carolina, despite having Oscar Chalupsky standing on the beach telling me what to do. I was getting the hang of it by the end of the day, but I would have gone nowhere aboard a V10.

Start with a V8 and develop your skills. Then, trade up when the time is right. Or, keep the V8 around for worse conditions.

"Stability before ability"....the gospel according to Oscar.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by rhainan.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22153 by Fath2o
I think the difference in density between fresh and salt water is often overlooked. Salt (ocean) water, being more dense, is going to provide more floatation and cause any craft to sit a little higher in the water. Of course this translates into less stability. Water temperature would also have an influence.
I paddled a Fenn elite in both salt and fresh and the difference in stability was amazing. Never did get comfortable with it in the ocean.
Didn't even think about stability on a lake with 20 knot winds.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22156 by surfskiforfun
AAA I did not think much about it,and thought it was in my head. BUT my V10S feel unstable at zero speed in the Ocean, but comfortable in freshwater...
But when I get the speed up, I do not feel any difference..
:)

More
9 years 4 months ago #22208 by goofish
Replied by goofish on topic First Ski recommendations?
If you buy an elite ski (like the Ion) it could be YEARS before you can paddle it in the surf and have fun with it. Why in the world would you want to wait that long to have the best fun you can have in a surf ski (surf). You should start with a 19 inch ski (v10 sport, Huki R, Think EVO, Fenn XT). You may end up buying a skinner boat later, but you'll probably keep the fatter boat for when you want to have fun.

Latest Forum Topics