Shoulder work balanced?

• blitzemall
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #22163 by blitzemall
Shoulder work balanced? was created by blitzemall
Pretty new to paddling and have noticed that my shoulder muscles have grown a bit since I started. Seems like several years ago I read that if your should develops too much in one location (especially in the front deltoid) that there is a greater risk of injury.
My question is: does paddling work all angles of the shoulder muscles in balance or does it use more of one specific area?

If so, I may start adding some weightlifting for the area that is not as stressed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22167 by Kayaker Greg
Personally I think that some press ups or planks are needed to offset the pulling that our shoulders do. Important to hold good form keep the shoulders down from the ears and pull the shoulder blades together when performing press ups, in fact pulling the blades down and together is probably more important than doing a full press up, can even do the motion against a wall or doorway. So just a small movement of a few inches is needed and good for shoulder health and balance.

Also we were shown a series of shoulder exercises at a camp which should be performed every day in warm up, the muscles that are targeted are very small and done without weights, basically
1: lifting from your groin to a V 20-30x
2: holding your arms in a W and forward and back 20-30x
3: lifting from your groin imagine holding a coke can in each hand to straight out in front and tipping the can empty 20-30x
4: crucifix forward and back 20-30x
5: from the sides to over the head 20-30x
6: against the wall starting from the W lifting to an apex, keeping the butt, shoulders, head inline against the wall, 20-30x

Again the muscles are small and these really help the shoulder mobility and integrity.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22168 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic Shoulder work balanced?
I got problems with my hands getting numb in the evenings some years ago. According to a physiotherapist, the cause was unbalanced and inflexible shoulder muscles from all the paddling and (during winter) skiing. Excercises recommended to me were wall extensions, behind the neck shoulder press, and snatch squat. You don't necessarily need much weigths for the latter; 20 - 30 kg does wonders to my shoulders.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by ErikE. Reason: Corrected terminology

Latest Forum Topics