Cape Town downwind

More
9 years 5 months ago #22164 by Lance
Cape Town downwind was created by Lance
Hi, I have recently moved to the Cape from Durban. I have been paddling for about 18 months on a Carbonology Cruze and have never done a downwind. I am really keen to start.
I just don't know where to start in terms of who would "teach" me the ropes, who to paddle with etc.
I would really appreciate any input.
Thanks
Lance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22174 by [email protected]
Where in Cape Town are you based? If you're anywhere near fish Hoek I'd strongly recommend contacting the Mockes' surfski school.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 5 months ago #22178 by [email protected]
Hi Lance,

In the northern suburbs, you could get hold of the Wednesday evening Downwind Dash guys.

Downwind Dash on Facebook

Near Hout Bay you could come down to the Tuesday Series (season just started). Many of us started racing in the short course (great vibe, meet people and drink beer at the club afterwards).

Tuesday Series Website

Anywhere near Fish Hoek, contact surfski school. There's a big social paddling group who do Millers Runs in a safe and relaxed way...

Surfski School website

And finally, if you're out Strand way, you could get hold of the guys at the Strand Surf Lifesaving Club - there's a big group of paddlers there too.

Strand Surf Lifesaving on Facebook

So there you go - see you on the water!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lance

More
9 years 5 months ago #22179 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic Cape Town downwind
Hi Rob
Thanks so much for this info. I am in Obs so will give the guys in Milnerton a shout and then contact the surfski school for Millers.
Appreciate your reply.
Cheers

More
9 years 4 months ago #22209 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Cape Town downwind
Lance,

I'd say go straight to Surfski School in Fish Hoek. The Fish Hoek scene is very welcoming of new members and the water is much warmer.

Come join us at the Seadog Paddle this Friday @6. Details on FB search for Seadog

More
9 years 4 months ago #22212 by Lance
Hi Ric
Thanks a lot for this info. I will go and see them.
Just another question: The water temp here is so much colder than Durbs, what would be the appropriate clothing to wear. I have a 5mm wetsuit that I'll try but am wondering if a 3mm is better. I suppose I will get used to the cold, but us guys from Durban feel it quite badly :}
Thanks a lot.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22213 by Ric
Haha you'll have to chat with Rookie about that one...

Here I'd suggest getting a pair of paddling shorts from one of the shops, or go to Coral Wetsuits to have one made for you.

It keeps the cold off the important parts - on top, one or two rashies. I don't recommend a full wetsuit - hard to paddle in and you'll get way too hot.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22214 by Lance
Thanks a lot for this, always appreciated.
cheers

More
9 years 4 months ago #22239 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Cape Town downwind
Hi welcome to Cape Town,

I moved here at the end of 2010 and for the next year wondered if i should take up mountain biking or trail running rather than paddle in these freezing waters. Not to mention the WIND
The good news is that you do get "used" to it. I still freeze and head for the hot showers whereas my paddling partner heads for a swim after training :unsure: but i am getting tougher.....

BUT do not get a full length wetsuit they are too hot and cumbersome. My 2c is rather buy a pair of neoprene shorts, booties, a top with neoprene front and back and rash material for the arms so that you can paddle unhindered.Coral near you is best!

Fish Hoek is a great place you will laugh at first when you see their "backline" but still it is fun and the people are great AND the water is warmer B)

Hope this helps, good luck

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
9 years 4 months ago #22256 by Lance
Hi,
Thanks so much for the info, really appreciate it so much. I will definitely be going to Coral and I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting some of those Vaikobi pants.
Went up to the West Coast this weekend and froze my b*lls off - so I realise the immediate need :)
Thanks again
Lance

More
9 years 4 months ago #22257 by Ric
Vaikobis are nice, but you might still want to consider Coral - they can make long pants for you too. Probably a lot cheaper, and the nice thing about neoprene is the way it keeps the water out.

But in summer, I'd say short neoprene in False Bay - and you'll be sorted.

Come join us in Fish Hoek...

More
9 years 4 months ago #22260 by Lance
Awesome, thanks. I'll go see them tomorrow.
I'll be there on Saturday.
cheers

Latest Forum Topics