Hank McGregor

More
7 years 6 months ago #27063 by craigDBN
Hank McGregor was created by craigDBN
Hank McGregor is beyond doubt the greatest paddler the world has ever seen....nobody will ever surpass his long and varied list of prestigious achievements.

There are some brilliant paddlers that may outboast Hank in a specific discipline, but nobody has won as many titles across the spectrum :

Surfski : 3 x Molokai winner / 2 x Dragon Run / 3 x Mauritius Ocean Classic / Surfski World Champion 2014 / millions of smaller titles
River : 11 x Berg River Marathon K1 champ / 2 x Dusi champ (K1 & K2) / 5 x Fish River Marathon K1 champ / 3 x Drak Challenge K1 champ / 4 x Avon River Marthon champ (K1 & K2) / millions of smaller local SA titles
Marathon : 6 x ICF K1 champion / 2 x ICF K2 champion

Paddling is a bit of a fringe sport, so Hank will never get the full credit he deserves - fame nor remuneration. After his double-gold in Brandenberg this last weekend, an unprecedented 8th ICF gold medal, hardly even a mention in the local press....

But we are inner circle, and recognise the immensity of his title role : so let's use this forum to honour the LEGEND.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto, Bodsy, SurfskiEstonia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27065 by 964826343606957@facebook
Indeed. An absolute legend.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #27066 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Hank McGregor
Agreed. It makes it even more impressive when you see some of the best marathon kayakers who can stay with him in marathon get in an ocean ski and get left behind.

Even the best ocean paddlers (jasper excluded) wont venture near a marathon kayak as they know just how different the sport is, so to excel in both flat water and ocean distance racing is a rare quality.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27073 by AndyS
Replied by AndyS on topic Hank McGregor

AR_convert wrote: Agreed. It makes it even more impressive when you see some of the best marathon kayakers who can stay with him in marathon get in an ocean ski and get left behind.

Even the best ocean paddlers (jasper excluded) wont venture near a marathon kayak as they know just how different the sport is, so to excel in both flat water and ocean distance racing is a rare quality.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27074 by AndyS
Replied by AndyS on topic Hank McGregor
There's a great video-biography on youtube:

Can you imagine crossing the Atlantic from SA to USA with your dad in a sailboat and paddling next to it for hundreds to thousands of miles as a teenager? This early life experience paired with unbelievable will power was bound to create such an outstanding athlete.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27112 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Hank McGregor

AR_convert wrote: Agreed. It makes it even more impressive when you see some of the best marathon kayakers who can stay with him in marathon get in an ocean ski and get left behind.

I agree Hank is amazing. But he and Dawid are far from the only ski paddlers with world class K1 credentials. Probably none are as dominant in both disciplines as hank though.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #27113 by AR_convert

zachhandler wrote:
I agree Hank is amazing. But he and Dawid are far from the only ski paddlers with world class K1 credentials. Probably none are as dominant in both disciplines as hank though.

Hmmmm, I've no doubt that IF some of the worlds top ocean ski racers did race in other marathon related disciplines they would do, but please tell me who amongst the top say 10-15 Ocean paddlers in the world do we see representing their country at Marathon Worlds or featuring in World Class White Water Marathon racing?

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27114 by RedBack
Replied by RedBack on topic Hank McGregor
I have no doubt that Hank is in a class of his own for marathon events, but there are other paddling disciplines that are worth considering as well.

Clint Robinson's resume looks pretty impressive...

5 time Olympian
3 x Olympic Kayak medals at three different games (Gold, Silver, Bronze)
4 x ICF World Championship medals including 2 x Gold
15 x Australian SLSA Surf Ski titles
11 x 1000m Australian K1 titles
3 x Molokai Surf Ski World Champion

Though if we're really going to go with "the greatest paddler the world has ever seen" hyperbole, Birgit Fischer should probably be considered.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #27115 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Hank McGregor
@redback,
yep, if one looks up the medal listings in wikipedia for Birgit Fischer and Katalin Kovács ... these are impressive,
imagine they'd designe kayaks, how the stickers in the boats could read :woohoo: ...
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27191 by craigDBN
Replied by craigDBN on topic Hank McGregor
No hyperbole intended.....by "paddler", I mean in the broad sense, further qualified by the 2nd sentence, where I stress "spectrum".

Fischer & Kovacs are clearly well-decorated Olympic medalists, and obviously surpass Hank's results in this field of paddling. But not sure how they fare beyond this narrow focus area.

On topic of Olympics, anyone know why a marathon paddling event in not included in the schedule - seems well suited to the Games ? The required facility is common to the sprint & rowing disciplines ?

Anyway, the main point of the original post, was to encourage some acknowledgement of Hank's superhuman achievements....not going too well !!!

More
7 years 6 months ago #27192 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Hank McGregor
at craig,

"Anyway, the main point of the original post, was to encourage some acknowledgement of Hank's superhuman achievements....not going too well !!!"

You are right, but I guess that is because many think of him as a legend anyway and take that as a given. Manys have seen "The making of a legend" a dozen of times with full admiration for son and dad. At least me.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27201 by RedBack
Replied by RedBack on topic Hank McGregor
Hi Craig,

As far as Marathon kayak events in the Olympics are concerned, I believe time allocation is the issue.

The regatta facility has to be shared with the "Backward Boys" and organisers need to build lay-days into the schedule to allow for weather issues.

Even the K1 5,000m event is not part of the Olympics because they deem it to take too long.

Pity.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27217 by AR_convert

craigDBN wrote: On topic of Olympics, anyone know why a marathon paddling event in not included in the schedule - seems well suited to the Games ? The required facility is common to the sprint & rowing disciplines ?

Farbeit for me to speak on behalf of the discipline, but from what I understand the sport has been gradually changing over the past 10-15 years to move towards gaining acceptance at Olympic level. This has been done by moving to using sprint courses, reducing lap sizes and increasing the number of portages (for the spectacle). The effort put into broadcasting the World Champs live and the modes of broadcasting ( wire, drone and boom cameras etc) has shown (from my perspective) that it is worthy of inclusion from a spectator point of view.

Latest Forum Topics