Just got my first ski, need paddle

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #27521 by MCImes
Just got my first ski, need paddle was created by MCImes
Hi Guys,
I've been lurking around these forums almost daily for the last couple years after my friend @Zachhandler took me out on his V10 double. It immediately got me hooked and I've been scheming to get a ski ever since. Life threw me a couple curve balls that delayed my acquisition but it finally happened!

I got a 2008 V10 for a steal and now need a paddle. I think im going to get an epic small wing because they're generally considered 'vanilla' in the sense that they're a relatively forgiving paddle and widely available.

My immediate question is, without demo-ing multiple paddles, is there a way to determine how long of a paddle I need? Im 6'1" (185cm) and usually paddle an OC1 or North American racing canoe with a 51" (130cm) paddle. When seated sitting up straight, there is about 22.5" (57cm) from the seat to the bottom of my armpit.

I know trying multiple lengths with an advisor would be the best, but at this time of year in Massachusetts that isn't practical so I will likely be buying a paddle sight unseen. Anyone have advice for a paddle length? I was thinking 210-220, but am just guessing.

Also, are there any recommended balance trainers? I have decent balance, but the V10 will challenge that for the first little while. I'll be paddling on lakes and rivers near shore in a dry suit over the winter, so practicing balance to minimize swims will be to my advantage.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts,
Marcus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #27525 by Uffilation
Things one could try for a guestimation:

1. www.epickayaks.com/wizard

2. "Bootshaus"-formula
(252+185) / 2 - (6 to 9 cm for surfski) = 218cm - (6 to 9 cm) = 212cm to 209cm ... as an idea

3. Google "torso height" paddle length, e.g. skipaddling.com/calculate-paddle-length/

A two-part angle+length adjustable paddle 208-218cm may be? Anyone?

You'd still then have to find your personal favorites length in the range as there is no "the right length".

Note:
Bracas only come in 5cm length adjustment, imo. Jantex and Epic and others in 10 cm. Imo Braca XI = Jantex Gamma (while a Jantex Gamma Rio has more incredible grip in the water, which imo is more tiresome though dep. on distance/strength).
Yep, the epic small is vanilla as I have tried it too and easy to paddle, one can't do wrong here for a first paddle imo, BUT it paddles wetter than others which I tried (even with anti-drip ring), something I do not like for winterpaddling.

Balance trainer:
1. swiss ball, see youtube for kayak training
2. see below:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Uffilation. Reason: torso link added

More
7 years 5 months ago #27548 by mckengmsurfski
Marcus,
My company, Eliteoceansports, is the Eastern US agent for Jantex. At your size for surfski paddling you should be good with anything that will adjust out to 215cm. If you were going to be doing any K1 paddling, then you might need something that adjusts out to 218-220cm or so. For reference I'm 6'1" and typically use 212-213cm for my paddle length for surfski paddling. The paddles we keep in stock are either 205-215cm or 208-218cm depending on the blade size, so any should suit you for surfski paddling in regards to length. The real question will be which blade shape and size to get. Feel free to email me directly and I can help you figure out which paddle shape and size would work best for you and get you set up with a Jantex that will last you for some time.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #27555 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Just got my first ski, need paddle
Thanks to both of you. Very helpful info to have.

1 more question that came to mind; I know Bullets on the venturi drain increase draining efficiency significantly. My boat has a recess that extends beyond the drain, making mounting a Bullet different than usual or impossible.

Is it possible to mount a bullet on this style of venturi drain? If so, can you please provide instructions or a picture of where to place it?

If it isn't possible, would I benefit from filling the recess and adding the bullet? or would that hurt more than it helps?

(my computer wont upload the pics of my venturi - please see them here:
i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/mcimes...ized_zps2zpsfvsq.jpg

i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/mcimes...ized_zpsbxzuvzpg.jpg

Last question: I can get a Bracsa 4 or epic small-mid for a good deal. Think I would be better off with one or the other? Or is it just down to personal preference?

Thanks again,
Marcus
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by MCImes. Reason: Added Bracsa 4 vs Epic small mid question

More
7 years 5 months ago #27560 by Uffilation
- what feels better so it w.b. personal preference
- for winter paddling, I'd prefer the one that runs drier (if both would have the same length and feel "similar" ...)

if you can them for "a good deal", but not paddle either one before the purchase, buy both and then sell one of them later on via the internet?

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #27563 by Uffilation
ok B)
on the weekend, I'll be in the basement for some DIY stuff,
will be a mixture of

and this, but on rolls then and with lowered centre of gravity:

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27572 by legrandice
I am somewhat of the same situation in my paddle search. My wife and I both got our first ski this summer and we only have one paddle with no branding. It's 200-210CM long, so I am looking for a 210-220 as I am 6'1. I live in South Hadley if you want to try it out.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27575 by AR_convert
My only advice would be to get something cheap initially while you are still getting into the sport.

Before everyone jumps on me with comments such as you get what you pay for, most paddlers will tell you they have tried and owned several paddle shapes and brands before settling on the 2 or 3 they use regularly.

Brands such as Jantex and Brasca make awesome quality paddles but also charge quite a lot.
You really need to be sure about that sort of purchase, but once you are you will appreciate them.

The Jantex Gamma shape has been copied and varied to come up with a lot of easy to use/forgiving paddles. Learn to search this forum for paddles and you will see dozens of posts about this and that paddle.

I would always point someone towards the gamma shape to start with then try different blades from there.

I use two paddles each week, a more parallel type blade for flat water and a Gamma (teardrop) blade for white water marathon and ocean.

You will also find that paddle length is not set and forget, it can change with fitness and the blade type and size you are using, but generally, men will get most use from a 210-220 or maybe slightly shorter 207-217.

Two extremes examples for me are
208cm for teardrop blade paddling heavy K2 in marathon white water race.
216cm for parallel blade paddling a 8kg marathon K1 on flat water.

Always looking for the next boat :)

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #27577 by MCImes
Thanks for the thoughts guys.
I just picked up a full carbon knock off mid-wing for $137 shipped (US $) on aliexpress.com. The 11/11 sale is only for another 17 hours, so if you want a cheap loaner or backup paddle, act quick. Even if its not the greatest, its something I can afford and it gets me going. And its still a 26oz paddle. Pretty sweet.

I think I'll do as you say AR; I got the cheapo paddle to start and will invest in a nice one after I properly try them out over next summer.

Anyone have advice on the Bullet placement? if that is possible or not?

Thanks again

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #27613 by MCImes
So I went for my first paddle yesterday. It wasnt a real paddle session as I am still waiting for my carbon wing paddle to arrive.

I went out on a small pond in my dry suit with my ZRE power surge canoe paddle (carbon single blade paddle) in hand. I have to say, paddling a ski with a single blade paddle is actually quite fun and excellent balance training.

I sat near the beach for fifteen minutes just getting used to the feel, centering myself, and learning where the final stability point is. After that, I started paddling around a little and took my first intentional swim, as I wanted to practice remounting as much as paddling. I was successful with both side saddle and cowboy remounts, but the water was glass smooth so that helped.

I did a few more laps around the pond and a few more intentional remounts plus a couple unintentional swims as well. Overall I think once I get my double blade paddle I'll be more or less fine stability wise on flat water. I was stable enough to be paddling on 1 side, loose balance to the off side, and have time to switch sides and brace without falling in.

I have 1-2 more weeks before my wing paddle arrives, but think Ill go a couple more times just to get deat time and have fun with the single blade, as I really do love single blade paddling and the V10 has no top end speed wall like anorth american racing canoe (J200).

Cheers,
Marcus

Latest Forum Topics