Protecting the hull from paddle strikes

More
7 years 4 months ago #27561 by Aurelius
What's the consensus here about the best way to prevent gouges and scratches resulting from paddle strikes? I've heard of something called "helicopter tape", but I've been unable to find any store selling it. I've also seen some type of rubber sheeting with an adhesive backing used, but I have no idea what that is or where to obtain it. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27562 by crallan
I use a clear 'paint protection tape' to save your car from stone chips, from an auto store. Same as 3M Helicopter tape but at a fraction of the cost. Bike shops often sell 'Bike frame protection' same same.

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
7 years 4 months ago #27565 by AR_convert
If you want a cheap option go to a sign writer and get some off cuts from the vinyl signs they do, stays on for years.

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
7 years 4 months ago #27574 by WingSuit
PVC tape from the hardware store. It's thick, plastic (PVC) tape, not so sticky that it won't come off easily, but sticky enough not to fail. Super cheap. It's about 2 inches wide. A warning about rail tape for boards: I had some on one of my boats and it pulled off some gel coat when I was removing it. A little too permanent. If you're hitting the side of the boat you know your catch is close enough!

More
7 years 4 months ago #27578 by Aurelius
Following someone's suggestion, I ordered a product called "Trimbrite". It's a tough plastic film with an adhesive backing, commonly used to protect automobile bodywork from stone chips. It should arrive on Tuesday, so I'll report back once I've applied it.

• Grumpytex
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #27583 by Grumpytex
Replied by Grumpytex on topic Protecting the hull from paddle strikes
solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-...es?N=3293812589&rt=d

3M scotchgard film. Scratch free, super protection and will never fade. Probably outlast most skis, worth a few extra dollars to not have to keep replacing the cheaper stuff. This stuff is unreal.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27584 by WingSuit
I have found that any tape, be it rail tape or 3M tape, eventually gets beat up, requiring replacement. Some of the clear high end tapes are very hard to remove and can damage the ski when doing so.

Latest Forum Topics