Aftermarket elliptical rudder (Stellar) - Where to buy ?

More
7 years 2 months ago #27977 by Kiwi Dave
Have a Stellar SES 2G and want to get a descent (read: aftermarket) elliptical rudder. Most likely 8" for general paddling and small downwinds.

Who makes a nice / quality elliptical for Stellar's ? I've started designing my own but time is not on my side with this project unfortunately. Ideally after something with a 12% thickness to chord profile.

Not interested in the 8/9" Stellar items as I think the shape and more importantly profile is generally cack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #27978 by Dicko
Contact Orka in south Africa. Good rudders. Cheap as well.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #27979 by Atlas
Hi Kiwi Dave. Don Kiesling; surfski(at)gmail(dot)com makes very good after market rudders. I've just got home from testing a new DK downwind rudder on my XT. To say I am pleased with the performance would be an understatement. He can make them to fit most brands of ski and can do pretty much any length, chord, leading / trailing edge angle etc that you want. He posts them world wide. I have an 8" low angle DK rudder on my Bluefin which has plenty of bite and has never caught a weed despite me deliberately paddling straight over all sorts of seaweed. I paid in $Aus so they were not cheap (and even dearer for you I suppose). However, the new rudder has transformed the handling of my XT which means that I am happy to keep the old XT instead of upgrading to a new boat which will save me thousands of dollars.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Atlas.

Latest Forum Topics