WHAT DOES A LIFEGUARD SPEC SKI MEAN ??

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 1 month ago #28120 by photofr
It is my understanding that spec skis (surf life saving skis) were the first skis, and then long distance skis came about.

One way to look at it is:
Spec skis are more like BMX bicycles
Surfskis are more like cross country mountain bikes.
They are both kayaks, but just like the two bikes above, they are still two different sports.

Spec skis use strick restrictions. They have to be somewhat short, somewhat wide, and somewhat heavy. Best uses: surf lifesaving competition (not lifeguard), entering and exiting surf zones, surfing. By design, they can be quite fun for downwind paddling, but they are heavy. They are shaped more like a banana than an ironing board (they have quite a bit of rocker) so they are ver fun in the surf.

Long distance surfskis are ver different:
They have zero restrictions; they can be any length, as narrow or as wide as you want, and they can weigh very little. Best uses: long distance ocean paddling, downwind... but insidently are very fun and fun on flatter bodies of water.

Spec skis are so wide that paddlers simply raise their sitting position to try to obtain additional power. In turn, this makes the surfski sitting position quite comfortable.

If you are not going to be racing in surf lifesaving competition, you would do a whole better getting a standard surfski. Today's ski models are nearly endless. Almost standard surfskis are going to be faster on flat water (than a spec ski). Many of today's standard surfskis are going to provide as much or more stability than a spec ski: Nelo 510, Nelo 520, Epic v7, Epic v8, etc.

Interestingly enough, new plastic skis are cheaper, more durable, and nearly the same weight as a spec ski. Plastic skis like the Nelo 510 will most likely really surprise you in terms of speed.

You can probably get a bmx bike for your next long distance bike race, but you would do better with a better suited bike / equipment.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 6 days ago #28121 by Uffilation
Last edit: 7 years 6 days ago by Uffilation. Reason: Removed the links to fishing skis used as snorkeling platforms

More
7 years 1 month ago #28124 by Oskar
"Spec" stands for specification.
There are different specifications but as far as I know they are all based on the Australian SLSA specification.
You can have a look at the latest New Zealand specification here.
www.fennkayaks.co.nz/SLSNZspecNov16.pdf

More
7 years 1 month ago #28131 by Oskar
yogavnture,
The Fenn LS conforms with the SLSA specifications, has an adjustable footrest system which will fit a 6'6 paddler, and is available in either deep or shallow seat version. Sound like it's exactly what you're looking for.

More
7 years 1 month ago #28135 by Ranga
Custom seat, kidding right?
How are you going to rotate with a perfectly fitting seat?
If you really want one, just find yourself a friendly Formula 1 racing team workshop, they do this for their drivers, the one downside however is it will cost you many more thousand euros than the ski, maybe at a guess 10-20 000 euro, it will be very light and strong, but then another downside you will have to send the said seat to your preferred ski manufacturer for them to fit it! That will be another expense.
Alternatively, just buy the ski of your choice and paddle it like all the other thousands of paddlers out there. I doubt the Fenn LS costs 4000 euros either should be less than 3000.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 6 days ago #28139 by Uffilation
Last edit: 7 years 6 days ago by Uffilation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #28142 by photofr
Yoga:
It really seems to me like you haven't given the Epic V8 a try. It has a remarkably shallow seat, almost as shallow as the 520 from Nelo.

Facts that may interest you:
-- Most surf lifesaving skis will be slower than even the "slowest" ocean surfski - at least to "tool around".
-- If you want to go really fast, you'll need an Elite ocean ski, and it will be tippy, but you don't have to go Elite Fast. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised to see how fast and stable newer Ocean Surfskis are, even entry-level skis!!!

Seemingly, you are looking for the "wrong" ski. You want to a shallow seat, so you are looking at surf lifesaving skis. However, your program isn't the surf. You should be looking for a ski in the states (because there is plenty to choose from), and aiming at an Ocean Ski that will be stable enough for you. Should the seat not be shallow enough, place a 3-pad combo and immediately fix the problem. Should the ski the become too tippy, simply choose another ski that is stable enough for you.

Personally, I'd show up to a testing center with my pad in hand.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogavnture

More
7 years 1 month ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28143 by Uffilation
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28175 by Uffilation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #28180 by photofr
I am upset with American laws and regulations. I would like to take some time off and go on my 5-week annual paid vacation in the US, but I have mixed feelings. My planned destination is Hawaii.

How could you let this happen?
How can you, AMERICANS, let your lawmakers insist on a 55 MPH law in the entire state, and how in the World did you let an American President blackmail your state in the late 80's regarding such a ridiculous law that would save 1000's of lives?

I will do my best to be in Hawaii in June. This law is so ridiculous (sorry if I am repeating myself) but could someone just take 5 minutes to change it for me?

Disclaimer: Sometimes, it's best to just let our inner self just laugh out loud. I personally feel better. :)

Disclaimer No. 2: Laugh a little... disregard this message - it was highly sarcastic.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
7 years 1 month ago #28207 by Uffilation
Take your meds man, yoga is not working for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro, zachhandler, crallan

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #28209 by Uffilation
Ok, spoke to your nurse: much more meds and no Breitbart for you tonight.

You are mixing up goverments with people. I also was ashamed those days, that some European governments took so long for decissions to intervene there.
Why I can say this? Because some Europeans are able to conduct self-reflection and self-criticism. You Sir, on the other hand, give a good impression of a stereotype that many folks are sick of worldwide. But statistics allow for you to be that way, just like in any other country, there is a number of folks fulfilling stereotypes merely for statistical reasons. So with 324,420,000 people in the US, there will allways be some folks like you, keeping the stereotypes alive. So I am not going around and shout out that all Americans are like this or that and responsible for all their governement's decissions, just because I can't figure out how to transport an item in the US.

Talking about mixing up governemts with people. You did not decide to send soldiers overthere, it was your goverment. If you did though, was it because of saving people or strategic geopolitics (no oil there though)? You also did not decide on Irak and Afghanistan or any other war or influence on local politics (like hindering democracies form evolving to make oil deals with dictators) , it was your governemt.

So "you" also saved Croatia?

"You" surely did not do the logistics.

PS: Normal people just want to get along and have a good time together, worldwide. It's either one or a combination of polticians motives, media and religion that heats up people against each other and fertilizes ingnorance, prejudices and then hate. Human nature makes many fall for this and others exploit this. S.cks, but that's how things go since that black monolith hit earth, lol. So I will rest that issue with you now and not spoil this site any further with offtopic talk.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Uffilation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro, zachhandler

More
7 years 1 month ago #28210 by Hiro
Please stop making a fool of yourself. This is getting ridiculous. You asked a few questions (not so nicely IMO). You found two nice guys willing to help you sort your problems, and somehow you managed to piss them off... both of them.
I don't hang on this forum to read this kind of BS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uffilation

More
7 years 1 month ago - 6 years 11 months ago #28218 by Uffilation

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #28222 by Uffilation
"listen we are Europeans in usa we just moved over from Europe. no hard feelings...."

With all what you have written so far:

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Uffilation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28291 by photofr
One option, that I would recommend:
-- Reduce your vacation to 60 days (10 days of savings for lodging, food, incidentals, and car rentals).
-- Rent a bigger car (so that you can sleep better).
-- Plan on paddling more than if you had a 70-day vacation.
-- Go with a V8, or with a Nelo 520 or similar... unless you have truly tried a V10 Sport and feel perfectly okay with it. The advantage of a ski like the Nelo 520 is that you would be able to paddle any day, any time, during any weather.

A longer car will make traveling in windy conditions easier.
A shorter ski will make traveling in windy conditions safer.
Speed differences between the V10 Sport and Nelo 520 or V8 are so negligible that I am not even sure it would be worth taking a chance on stability.

Again, good luck, and happy hunting.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogavnture

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28297 by photofr
I am mentioning the Nelo 520 because because several people have tested it, and find it faster than a V8. On average with Nelo, you save $1000 for the same weight - so plenty of pros.

The Nelo 520 doesn't look funny - on the other hand: I am funny looking. :)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #28301 by Uffilation
Yoga, reg. #28296

watch until the song, everything is awesome ;)

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Uffilation.

Latest Forum Topics