Can I carry my ski like this?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago #28493 by MCImes
Can I carry my ski like this? was created by MCImes
Hi Gang,
I made my own surfski rack to save money. Also, my roof rack bars are only about .92m (32") apart, so I have a ton of ski hanging over either end which made me uncomfortable.

Now, I built myself a nice 7' long (~2.1m long) roof rack bar similar to a Good Boy rack, but with flat cradles instead of the V cradles. I typically carried my ski upside down and backwards because it seems to me the ski is much less prone to a cross wind when carried upside down and backwards. It would seem to me, in this configuration, the nose of the ski acts like a weather vane and wants to naturally keep the boat straight at highway speeds. (see the attached pictures for a better view of my setup). I have tested this setup twice now and its rock solid. I can shake my entire car from either end of the ski. It feels like its connected securely to the car.

Now, my only concern is: I have around 6 or 7 feet hanging off the back of my car and the rack ( as i have a 21' Epic V10). Do you think there is a risk of cracking or stressing the boat where the cockpit meets the nose, as this is the lever point at the back of the ski, and there is a decent amount of weight hanging 7' off the back? I know this is one of the stronger points of the boat, but want to make sure this isnt a big no-no that I am unaware of.

Anyone else carry their boat like this?

Cheers,
Marcus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #28496 by LaPerouseBay
Smart move on the custom rack, distance between front and rear is the key. That is a great place to strap the front of the boat. I did it for years on an ultra layup v1 10. Very strong part of the boat and best of all, it's flat. Mine was facing forward, so you will have no trouble tail first.

Get some micro cell foam from these guys and your boat will be very happy. Its the best foam for boats because it's grippy, not to stiff, not too soft and UV proof.

www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=11

Strap the boat just tight enough to prevent sliding. Any tighter risks damage. Straps will get tighter due to the sun heating and expanding the boat. Some roll there eyes when I say that but it happens here on Maui. Particularly on big fragile standup boards. I've seen stuff crushed with straps. I moved on to rope myself to save time. Better too loose than too tight is my motto. If you see something moving around, just stop and tighten things up.

downwind dilettante

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28636 by zachhandler
Looks great marcus. Lots of people carry skis like that upside down with the front bar in that spot. It will be fine. Dont forget a red flag on the back of the boat.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28640 by photofr
You can also go for 2" webbing for your straps, instead of the common 1' webbing. Litterally cuts strap mark possibilities in half.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 3 weeks ago #28661 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Can I carry my ski like this?
Perouse, Zach and Ludvic, thanks for the reassurement.

I cut foam to the profile of the back deck so that is well supported.

I like the idea of extra tick webbing Ludvic. I'll have to look for some just for this application

And good reminder Zach. I most commonly paddle on the Connecticut river in longmeadow MA because it's only 5 minutes from my house, but I should get something for extended trips this summer so the cops don't harass me.

On a somewhat related note, is there a good ring I can epoxy to the bow and behind the footplate? Bow for the flag and footplate for a cable lock when I'm traveling.

Thanks for the input

Latest Forum Topics