dead leg remedies

More
6 years 8 months ago #29146 by sandysan
dead leg remedies was created by sandysan
I will preface this by saying that I have what I consider to be wide feet. On the foot plate for my boat, it's a pretty tight squeeze. After about 3d minutes the pins and needles start in my left foot. By 45 minutes it's totally asleep.

I read the forums and some people have suggested using a seat pad. I got the Mocke one and it does make the seat more comfortable, but it seems to impair my rotation and it doesn't help with my foot. My right foot seems fine. Any suggestions? I might move the footboard but I like the geometry of the foot drive as it is. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29147 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic dead leg remedies
I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV but I am no stranger to foot and leg numbness. For me it's almost always a nerve pinch in my lower back that causes sciatica down one or both legs. It may not be your feet that's causing the problem. I get sciatica even when my back feels fine. If you have access to an inversion table try using it daily to see if it helps. Could also be the back of your ski bucket (not the bottom where most people put the pad) that is causing a pinch. Have you tried paddling with the straps completely disconnected so your feet are free? That would narrow down some options.

I guess the best thing to do is experiment with different options. And of course there's the dreaded foot transplant but that's a bit extreme.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 8 months ago #29148 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic dead leg remedies
So when you wear shoes you have the same problem? Surly shoes restrict your feet much more than any footplate so I doubt that would be the cause.
Also if you are unable or not willing to change your leg length how can you see if it works or not.
There are however skis out there prone to this problem, usually the fix is to get rid of that ski and try another, simple as that. Yes as simple as that and from my experience it has been the only solution after trying for a very long time to modify and change everything on the ski but to no avail.
You seem pretty set in your ways with how you want to sit, changing does not seem to work well so a change in ski would be the easiest option for you.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29149 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic dead leg remedies
I think that dead leg is usually caused by stretch or compression of the sciatic nerve. A low seat increases stretch and a narrow seat increases pressure on the sciaric nerve as it passes around the side of "sit" bones. What ski are you in? Fenn buckets are low and narrow, which is good for stability and control, but tend to cause dead leg in some people.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 8 months ago #29156 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic dead leg remedies
For exotic ultra comfort - the $2 kmart sports cushion is exquisite:

I get a dead leg on paddles > 2h, particularly more flat water.

In the rougher stuff I think I move around a bit more. Plus, for longer flatter water paddles, that cushion is really remarkable!

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #29163 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic dead leg remedies
What he said, (Ranga) after years of trying various padding etc etc I came to the conclusion I just cant have anything touching the sides of my glutes/legs. So a flat wide seat in skis and K1's for me.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by AR_convert.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #29166 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic dead leg remedies
Same as Ranga and AR_Convert. Only skis I had dead leg troubles were Fenns and Epics. Great skis by the way, but unfortunately just about crippled me after 30 minutes. Went to Stellar... S18S, SR, SEI and a mate's SEL and have never experienced pin and needles since. Same with my Vajda K1 and Sea Kayak. Regularly do 50 km plus paddles, no longer an issue.

Now this is not a "sell" for Stellar, just that their seats and bucket work for me, irrespective if they are high or low volume.

Footplate length and pedal adjustment are also critical. You have to experiment. One question... regarding using your footplate adjustment and pedals...how is your leg drive?

Get that going, even minimal drive and you will be surprised at the results...not only speed wise, but more importantly assist circulation and muscle movement in your thighs, legs and feet.

Cheers,
Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by TaffyMick.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29167 by sandysan
Replied by sandysan on topic dead leg remedies
Leg drive is hard/fine. My background is sprint kayaks and my ski is a nelo.

It is seemingly getting better. I'm gonna keep working on leg press at the gym and try to ride this one out.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29168 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic dead leg remedies
Like others have said, if the boat is the wrong shape, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Which ski is it?

More
6 years 8 months ago #29169 by sandysan
Nelo occean ski L.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29170 by sandysan
Shoes, no problem ( if you got dead leg in shoes this would be problematic). My feet are fine I hockey skates which are essentially vices on your feet. Just the left leg after about 35 minutes flat water non stop.

Since I have been doing more leg work I notice it is not as bad. The pad that I had hoped would help did not and severely restricted my roatation. My ski is narrow ( 17.25 I think) and I tried the "just put your feet behind the strap" and liked it even less than the seat pad.

I'm hoping the leg work continues to make it better, if not a 60 second soak of my left leg every 45 minutes does the trick.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #29179 by cunningt
Replied by cunningt on topic dead leg remedies
I had really bad dead legs when I first started paddling K1 - was advised to stretch my hamstrings (can get short if your a runner). With tight hamstrings they restrict the blood flow when sat in a surfski / kayak.
I would highly recommend this technique in the following video:

You can read a book at the same time and do this before bed. I also recommend the downward facing dog pose before you surfski and every morning if your keen.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by cunningt.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29182 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic dead leg remedies
My wife would kill me if I put my feet on the wall. :-)

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Latest Forum Topics