Heavy vs light construction?

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20566 by Fath2o
Looking for advice, opinions, experience with using lightly (carbon/kevlar) vs heavier (fiberglass) built skis in extreme conditions.
I'm considering replacing a perfectly good kevlar ski with a very good condition used fiberglass version, strictly for safety concerns.
The fiberglass ski would require a lot of modifications (increased
drainage, beefier steering cables, foot plate/pedal rebuild etc. plus unkowns) that I've already done on my kevlar ski. I want to paddle my skis not work on them. Have too many projects already!
Just can't justify the cost of a new custom built Huki S1-XL (awesome ski).
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Fath2o.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20567 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Heavy vs light construction!
Justify it ! (buying the Huki that is :whistle: ) , Seems like every time I have started in fixing/modifying etc. is the begining of the end.....While the price is perhaps daunting , the quality of construction and strength of laminate is awesome with Jude's skis . You can also spec. the materials , My hybrid XL with carbon cockpit weighs 25 pounds , is stiff and solid and in the year and a half I have been paddling it 3-4 days a week in varied ocean conditions has not taken on a single drop of water or demonstrated any weakness.(NOT true for my previous two other Mfg. skis). As to FG vs Carbon , the coring and laminate profile is perhaps the key to strength . Carbon is certainly stiff in layup , BUT so is FG . Cloth thickness ,Epoxy type , and build process(i.e. pre-peg vs. vacuum infusion , vs. hand layup)are perhaps more important
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
9 years 11 months ago #20568 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Heavy vs light construction!
Yeah, Jude can make me a fiberglass re-enforced tank around 30 lbs.
at around twice price of a used ski. I tend to be penny wise pound foolish. Fortunately, I,m pretty good at fixing and modifying and my skis end up better than new. I've bought new and used and all required repairs and/or modification. Haven't owned Huki, but yeah, I think they are best made ski and his new designs are real good! $2000 - $3000 usd is still a good chunk of change for me.
Sandy, How do you like performance and comfort of XL?

Latest Forum Topics