Comfortable PFD?

More
9 years 2 months ago #23040 by Fath2o
Comfortable PFD? was created by Fath2o
This may be a dumb question after all the controversy concerning The Doctor Race. But, has anybody found a truly comfortable PFD?

I am 5'9"/176 cm, 220 lbs/100kgs, 47.5"/120.5 cm chest, so I wear an
XL. I find anything extra large is usually made for a taller person. The surf wetsuit manufacturers have solved this by offering an extra large short.
I have an old MOCKE that rides up and the shoulder straps rub my chin.(Hardly used and for sale). The large doesn't fit my chest. I have a neoprene flotation vest made for wake boarding that is fairly comfortable but only when the temperature drops.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23041 by PaddleFaster
Replied by PaddleFaster on topic Comfortable PFD?
Fath2o, The other vest I use besides the Mocke is a Kokatat Sea O2 hybrid vest. For me personally, it's very comfortable.

In it's uninflated state, it has a minimal 7.5 pounds of inflation built in, which gives you enough flotation to assist you during occasional spills.

It then has secondary air inflation that can be activated in case of a genuine emergency that brings it's flotation level up to a very high 22 pounds total.

It sort of gives you the best of both worlds... Minimal bulk and comfort with enough inflation for day to day dunks, combined with a level of emergency inflation that is about 5 to 6 pounds more than traditional touring kayak paddling vests.

It also has soft neoprene padding that goes underneath the shoulder straps, a mesh back and multiple side adjustment straps to tailor it's fit.

It's only real shortcomings are it's price is kind of high and the fact that it does not have the ability to carry hydration.

Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by PaddleFaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics