first long ride 23.5 miles (37.8km) in 5.3 hours

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #24033 by Teddy_the_grownup
I attempted to take my first solo ride around the little island I live on. Of course, I failed, but I had fun. During my ride, I had tail winds for about 15 miles and a high tide. On the funny side, I got hooked by pier fishermen one who tried to pull me in at about 15 miles into my journey. I flipped over about 3 times one during the fisherman incident. After swimming a few times, I only lost one banana and one bottle of water during the journey. I also had my rudder rigging come loose, which I fixed at about 18 miles in. I took three breaks with the rudder fix. Today, the day after only my Trapezius muscles and obliques feel a little sore. The trapezius are between the neck and the are the most tender. There were 15 mph winds.

PS. I only had a max speed of 10.9MPH, so I think the tracker application had a little hic up.
Avg moving speed: about 5.5MPH according to garmin
Distance: 23.5 miles

S18S stellar ski since 12/14
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Teddy_the_grownup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24035 by Kayaker Greg
Good on you for giving it a go Teddy, looks like the total would have been about 50km's or so if successful? I like to do long distance paddles too and always build up gradually before attempting the distance you have tried.

I paddled around Waiheke Island this time last year, 56kms, but I wouldn't attempt it right now as I have not been doing the same amount of long paddles to prepare. I could do it but it would not be enjoyable. With the right preparation the long distance paddles are enjoyable.

Good luck in your next attempt.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24036 by Teddy_the_grownup
here is a link to the fun parts:

connecting waves

snagged on fishing line

S18S stellar ski since 12/14

More
8 years 10 months ago #24045 by TaffyMick
Haha Teddy, can so relate to the fishing line experience. Most of us have suffered the same fate on more than one occasion!

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
8 years 10 months ago #24046 by Sandy
ha ha , as the line slides over the deck and you see the fisherman reeling frantically , you know the hook is coming your way....I carry my little line cutter from my whitewater pfd and swipe....byebye fishing lure (actually only had to do that one time BUT , with high test monofilament or spectra line that fisherman use at the ends of jetties and in the surf the consequences could be ugly , AND of course avoidance is the BEST policy (not like that is to hard to do , so sez the line cutting paddles to close to the fisherman surfski paddler :) ). Have also had the experience of nimrods trolling their lines inside the harbor and crossing right in front of me (that was when I started to carry the little line cutter ) Nothing like adventure...

Latest Forum Topics