× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Seating position

More
9 years 6 months ago #21974 by Laz
Seating position was created by Laz
How is the seating position or rather the height difference footwell-lowest point bucket (butt height to foot height) in a average surf ski?

Sorry guys my Google translator sucks every time...again & again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21975 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Seating position
Average ski? Its like asking whats the average size engine in a car? Question is a bit vague!

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21976 by Laz
Replied by Laz on topic Seating position
Yep, average...
...beginners/intermediate/elite, size and brand doesn't matter
It's all about the seat position.

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Laz.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21981 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Seating position
Hi Laz. I saw you asked the same question over on the standup forum.

I had asked Mike about the footwell to seat height ratio when we discussed the composite seat pad for my old V-10. He's quite experienced in the area, having designed and built his own boats, level 1 K-1 experience etc.

I originally wanted my bucket insert to match the V-14. I wanted to measure the footwell to bucket difference and match that as well as the shape.

But Mike said don't bother measuring the footwell to bucket difference. At least for our project. The shape of the hulls is so different, that matching the height relative to the footwells is not worth the effort.

That measurement is rather complex if you think about it. I was planning on using the waterline as a reference. That meant glassy water and photos and tracing into auto cad for me - Epic's data cloud on the hull designs is probably a well guarded secret, rightfully so. If I had a big scanner I'd do it for myself but I'd never share the data - that's just morally wrong IMO.

Boat design is black magic and voodoo to me. I don't know how those guys can afford to go through the prototype stage. It must be very time consuming.

downwind dilettante

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21983 by Laz
Replied by Laz on topic Seating position
Thnks LPB,
I see the bottom of the hull as reference, (It is not need necessarily parallel with the waterline) and a simple measurement setup gives me the values.
Measured on a Fenn Mako 6 is its height difference ~ 2cm.

"But Mike said don't bother measuring the footwell to bucket difference. At least for our project. The shape of the hulls is so different, that matching the height relative to the footwells is not worth the effort."

I am not agree what Mike said, it is a important design characteristic,
you have to see it in the totality, every body has his proper forward angled ergonomic paddling position, what is also affected by total seat height, despite what shape hull you're riding. If you are happy with that new insert and you have your ideal seat height now, is that insert thickness + the height diff. of the V10.
How much is that again?:-)

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Laz.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21985 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Seating position
for what it's worth, a spec ski typically has a "drop" (from seat bottom to heel bottom) of 5cm. my spec ski indeed has this. my XT (stable ocean ski) has only ~1cm drop, hence "stable". my stellar SE (ocean ski) has a drop of about 4cm. the more drop, the less stable, but more comfortable and better power drive. K1's (and Nelo ski's) are known for large drop (high seat); not sure what they are, but i suspect they are in the 7-10cm range (tippy).

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwhatmough

More
9 years 6 months ago #21991 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Seating position

Laz wrote:
If you are happy with that new insert and you have your ideal seat height now, is that insert thickness + the height diff. of the V10.
How much is that again?:-)

Ok, the pictures help. I may do the same on my boat someday to get that number.

If you have access to a V-10, you can use the same method and get the number. My pad is 2.1 cm. The insert moves me forward 1.6 cm, very important for my fore-aft balance when surfing. I hope to experiment more, particularly moving forward again. I'm 85 kg.

downwind dilettante

Latest Forum Topics