× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Breathing life back into a stretched calf leash

More
9 years 3 months ago #22997 by Fath2o
(From a previous posting)
OK, so all that being said, if you still insist on wearing a leash in the surf, IMO, it needs to be attached to the nose of your ski either directly with a breakaway device at the front of the cockpit or by a jackline that the leash can slide to the nose on.
This will (obviously) present the least amount of resistance to the waves. A hole can be drilled through the nose, then filled with thickened epoxy. When the epoxy has hardened, a smaller hole can be drilled to accommodate a 3 mm line to attach your leash or jackline.
I suggest 3 mm spectra or dyneema. Same cord I use for my steering cables. I would not recommend attaching a leash to the tail of your ski because the impact of the wave will most likely damage your rudder or rudder hardware.
I personally haven't tried this arrangement and only use a calf leash offshore. But to me, it is the only system that makes any sense in the surf zone. I wouldn't recommend this system for offshore use though.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #23000 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic NSI Pad Fail
error
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Fath2o.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #23001 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic NSI Pad Fail
Cool ideas Fath2o. I agree that the nose mount is going to pull less than the tail mount. Personally, I'm going to stick with the rear mount.

David - Yes, the leash I use does not stretch much. That's what broke the pad stitching. The epic rep in Hood River mounts his pad out back like mine. But he uses a surfboard leash, from the rear of the boat up to him, connected to his waist.

That's probably what I'll do next time. I'll get the 40mm stick it pads and epoxy them out back. Too much pull may rip big holes in my ski. I'll just have to integrate my quick release.

The NSI pad ripped at the threads. The spectra was stitched on to the neoprene-like pad. Sticky stuff was fine. That 3M sticky stuff is very strong. I think it would rip the boat skin right off. Easy to remove too, it peels off cleanly. I think the gopro mounts use it.

downwind dilettante
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by LaPerouseBay.

Latest Forum Topics