× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Problem replacing the rudder cables on my ski.

• rydogk
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #23873 by rydogk
  • Okay, the cable snapped a while ago, I replaced it with what I thought was a stain steel cable, unfortunately it wasn't and is now rusted inside the ski and I cannot get it out. I broke the one cable off inside by trying to force it out. What a mess! :( :( :( Any suggestions? I am an ocean lifeguard just trying to get some old club equipment going so I can do some ironman races. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Flunder
    • Visitor
    8 years 10 months ago #23875 by Flunder
    Hi,
    The only way is to replace the complete tube!
    Wim

More
    8 years 10 months ago #23881 by richardh
    Hi rydogk.

If the rust as predominantly at one end, you may be able to raise the ski and try and flush with water or soak with anti-rust or light oil; although the latter two may damage the tubes.

Good Luck
    The following user(s) said Thank You: rydogk

• rydogk
    • Visitor
    8 years 9 months ago #24183 by rydogk
    Okay, I figured out how to go around the inside tubing by installing plastic tubing on the deck of the ski and running it into the rudder hatch. Any tips of calibrating the rudder cables with the foot pedals to the T bar? Thanks guys!

More
    8 years 9 months ago #24187 by Cut n shut
    Hi RYDOGK
    If you are using stainless cable, crimp the cables to the T bar, and use duplex cable clamps at the foot pedals. These allow adjustment so you can set the foot pedals level with the rudder straight. When happy with set up trim excess cable.

Latest Forum Topics