× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

manus tenaci - plasty (adding hand grips)

More
7 years 7 months ago #26908 by Simon Haywood
manus tenaci - plasty

In response to a request (SkiTutukaka – for JP),

This is how I’ve fitted hand grips to three of my skis...A Huki S1R and 2 x SR (series2)

Maybe it might help or inspire someone else…

NB: This will probably affect my warranty on my ski – but I’d rather have better & easier handling of my ski.

Disclosure: I’m a ‘C’ grade paddler (and not a good one at that!), I have no formal qualifications in boat building – But, I do have close access to one for advice & help...and nearly 40 years experience mucking around with boats.

Like any operation there are several ways of performing it - this is just one...

Start with a piece of timber – I used 140mm x 30mm x 90mm
Shape with a slight taper so it will release.
Round edges (uniform Radius)

Coat timber with flow coat (also known as gelcoat with styrene)

Once dried - sand and polish and then coat with release wax

I use a gelcoat then tissue chop strand 2-3 x layers 2oz carbon matt and a layer of ½ oz chop strand for grip (exterior) – I use west system 105 epoxy.

I make two of these per ski

Find the balance point of the ski – mark out from your hand grip the shape

Fit and adjust hand grip to suit hole – I use a piece of divinycell to space out (adjust depth). Mix up some glue and set hand piece into position – use something to keep open the hand grip’s shape.
Using a dremel tool (very small grinder) reduce edges around the carbon pocket to form a tapered channel. I use several strands of carbon weave and spread it around and around the hand grip.

Once dried cut excess material and round off the edges of the hand grip and round off the edges.

Fair, Prime & Paint (2 pack) colour matched to ski (hint – it’s better to paint the inside of the hand grip prior to fitting to the ski – too hard to get the spray gun in! Yes, I learnt the hard way)

Finished product

Need better drainage on your ski: www.surfski.info/forum/15-tips/18192-ven...y-bailer-plasty.html

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat, Atlas, Uffilation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26948 by Uffilation

More
7 years 7 months ago #27060 by Cryder
Very nice. Have you seen what the SUP crowd has been using?

supthinktank.com/liftsup/

Having a handle of this sort would make securing a ski overnight a little less nerve racking.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27062 by Simon Haywood
Thanks Cryder,

Yes, I looked at some SUP boards - I took inspiration from several areas and then went with what I could do using my skill set...As I said: 'Like any operation there are several ways of performing it - this is just one...'

Whilst I like the concept put forward I think retro fitting to a ski that is not built (reinforced) in that area would be problematic.

Also where this sits - it must remain completely unobtrusive to leg drive and contact with the body or it will be very uncomfortable over a period of time.

Perhaps someone will try it out and post it.

All too often people just accept what is dished out by the manufacturers...They are building to the masses a great starting point for customising - maybe it's just me, but I like a little customising.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 5 months ago #27336 by Uffilation
when I saw the hand grip recesses here
scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...944182fb&oe=58A20AA3

I thought of your pics ...

Latest Forum Topics