Fenn3 Paddles

More
9 years 9 months ago #21184 by A-Dub
Fenn3 Paddles was created by A-Dub
I'm looking at buying a Fenn3 paddle.

Has anyone here had one that can comment on the build quality / durability? The only person I know snapped his paddling in choppy water. All other reviews I've found on the net are good but if anyone else can share their experiences it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21185 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Fenn3 Paddles
I've seen paddles from several manufacturers break, so I don't think a single incident should freak you out.

The explanation might be anything - a flawed build, through to a dropped paddled that caused a tiny crack through to hitting a rock.

99.9% of the time paddles (and skis for that matter) won't break, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Both paddles and skis are built to be light and that inevitably means that they can and will break given the right circumstances.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rookie, A-Dub

More
9 years 9 months ago #21186 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Fenn3 Paddles
Hi i share Rob's experience. I have seen friends paddles and had a number of my own paddles break. Not once could we go back and blame the manufacturer. We all had to be honest and admit that it has been stood on / jumped on / been used to push off rocks in river races and we should have replaced it months ago and not in the middle of the Fish River Marathon :whistle:

I would be very surprised if it was a FENN 'problem'

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin
The following user(s) said Thank You: A-Dub

More
9 years 9 months ago #21188 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Fenn3 Paddles
I've been using a Fenn 4 for a few years, and the build quality is fantastic - its a great paddle.

I doubt you would see people going out in 40knot downwinders with Fenn paddles, if there was some general quality issue.

So yeah, I'd recommend a Fenn. The 4 is too big for me, but I think the 3 is a good all-rounder size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: A-Dub

More
9 years 9 months ago #21203 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Fenn3 Paddles
I started on a fenn 3 about two years ago. I wouldn't say the build finish was very good. There was plenty of bubbles and areas without carbon. However it held up well although it did chip easily.
Recently I moved to a braca 4 set up by Greg bennett. Flawless finish and seems less prone to chipping. Big difference in feel. The fenn was more solid in the water but also seemed to be harder to exit. I found that I was actually leaning on the paddle on the exit for stability which was not a good thing. The braca zings out on the exit.

Latest Forum Topics