Advice on GPS and safety gear?

More
9 years 4 months ago #22615 by sammclean
Hi everyone. New to the sport and this is my first post.

I've been training a bit but planning on doing my first serious ocean event - the 20 Beaches Classic - next month. I go paddling off the eastern beaches alone sometimes, so I figure I better get kitted for safety.

In general I figure it'd be good to have:
- a GPS for tracking speed, waypoints and preferably maps;
- a flare; and
- a PBL even?

Does this make sense? Any advice about my best GPS option and where to buy in Sydney? I'm not sure about whether a watch or mount is better.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22630 by [email protected]
Howzit!

Welcome to the best sport on the planet.... not that I'm biased in any way.

I live in Cape Town and in summer we do downwind runs whenever the wind blows (which is more or less every day). The water can be cold and at the most we get to about 2km offshore.

I use the following safety gear:

- PFD (non-negotiable)
- leash to boat (non-negotiable - if you lose you're boat, it becomes much harder for a rescuer to find you)
- leash from paddle to boat - means that I can help someone else with both hands and let go of the paddle without losing it.
- pencil flares
- cellphone in waterproof pouch
- VHF radio in the front pocket of my PFD
- whistle.

There are a couple of key things - don't sink (ie drown), don't lose your boat, have a way of communicating.

Most guys here use Garmin forerunner GPS units to monitor HR and distance and speed. I currently use a 310XT.

But ask around and see what the guys over there use.

Very few people use a PLB over here - for us I suspect the combination of phone and VHF would probably be more immediate and effective, given that I can read my position off my GPS... But that's me, you need to work out what suits you best.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 4 months ago #22637 by sAsLEX
One thing Garmin have now introduced to the 920XT GPS watch is the ability to pair it with a cell phone and offer live tracking, you can then leave a link with someone so if you are overdue they can look online and get your current position.

Another good link - www.nsri.org.za/2014/11/paddling-safety-precautions/

More
9 years 4 months ago #22668 by sammclean
Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll take your advice and get the GPS watch plus VHF radio and a flare.

The 920xt feature sounds very handy.

Sam

More
9 years 4 months ago #22685 by fb_510890105
These suggestions come from Bruce in Gauteng to promote sfety..
Opinion any one?>
1. The use of tracking system devices (signal transmitters) on the sea

2. All Surfski's to be manufactured in bright luminous yellow/orange colours with a strip of reflective vinyl on front and back cockpit.

3. For existing boats, large Vinyl stickers to be placed on front and back decks (same colours)

4. Look into some innovative way of making the surfski paddleable in the event of a snapped cable. (at least a practical way to jam rudder straight etc)

5. Life Jackets - same colours as above. Mark's Life Jacket was blue and his boat was white - meaning that on that big day the sea was full of white horses. This combination of colours literally camouflaged him - according to the distraught helicopter pilot that spent 8 hours in the air searching for Mark in conditions beyond the capabilities of his helicopter.

6. Debatable point: Consider Life Jackets that are inflatable - but NOT necessarily inflated when setting out. This would make entry and exit through surf zone far safer (allows one to get under the waves). These could be activated by the paddler in distress. The only disadvantage to the uninflated life jacket may be in the unlikely event that you were knocked unconscious. However - the counter point to this is that the standard PDF we use would not necessarily keep your face out of water in any event

Latest Forum Topics