Perfect Paddle Selection

More
7 years 5 months ago #27292 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Perfect Paddle Selection
Sweetwater Kayak: Stellar

Bill Jackson Outdoors Epic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27293 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Perfect Paddle Selection
When you test a paddle I suggest you do do it with some resistance balls (1-2 tennis balls on a string round the hull) over 30-45 minutes. and possibly also with the waves from the side. The purpose is to simulate how the paddle behaves when you are tired and in a more unstable conditions.

After testing lots of paddles I believe the following:

- no shapes and models are better than others, just different. this is a great tread to update yourself www.surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/1...er.html?limitstart=0

- a light paddle is preferred :-) Carbon blades

- soft or stiff - whatever you and your body like.

- bracsa, jantex, meek gut all make very beautiful paddles

- gamma shape gives you a solid catch but a lot less stability in latter part of the power phase. this is OK if you are stable and dont need the extra stability. parallel paddles gives you a mellow catch but stability throughout the power phase. For me in rough conditions, this extra support provides the extra power when the boat is balancing on top of a wave. THe same goes for size. A small size gives you less support and less stability. larger size more stability but it is harder work/ slower cadence

- You will probably try and buy different paddles over the years. just do it if you can afford it. the resale value is pretty good if no marks. Buy used paddles if available and cut the paddle to your lenght. Use hot glue. Bracsa and Jantex use hot glue and that works for worlds champs and olympians - and you. THat way you can change the paddle later and resale it at less loss. bracsa has a youtube video that shows you how to do it.

go for it :-) all paddles are differet so have fun
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert, Uffilation

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #27294 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Perfect Paddle Selection
"- gamma shape gives you a solid catch but a lot less stability in latter part of the power phase."

I feel that when getting tired and in currents, however, setting the angle to 45 degree from 60 has changed already a lot in this regard (for me that is) ...
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27302 by Fuyang Guy
Replied by Fuyang Guy on topic Perfect Paddle Selection
Hi Aurelius,
I see you have bought a ski already, but thought I might share the good news.
Epic does now have a surfski dealer in Daytona. Sandy Point Progressive Sports.
And what is more, Epic will be doing a surfski demo day and ski remount clinic with Sandy Point Progressive Sports Daytona on October 22. They will have V14, V10, V10L, V8 pro and V8, V7, V5 there with paddles for testing. Contact Brian Houston, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more info.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27303 by Aurelius
Replied by Aurelius on topic Perfect Paddle Selection
Thanks for the heads up. As it happens I spoke with Brian Houston on Saturday, and he invited me to attend the the demo day in Daytona. Even though I already have a ski, I'm planning to go just to see what the competition offers. I plan to try out the V12.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27309 by mckengmsurfski
Kwolfe, you should check with the Jantex importer in the eastern US (me) regarding options. Depending on where you are, I may have a client in the area who you aren't aware of who may be willing to let you try a paddle (or Think or Nelo surfski). If you are able to make it to the Philly region I have several paddling friends and associates there who I can get you in touch with to test Jantex paddles and a variety of Think and Nelo skis. If you are interested, email me via the Eliteoceansports website or message me via FB and I can try and get something put together for you.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27310 by mckengmsurfski
Aurelius, you should check with Mike Canfield at Ocean Paddle Company (www.oceanpaddlecompany.com) in Jupiter, FL as well. He travels all over FL, and is up and down I-95 regularly, and would be happy to arrange for demos of Think surfskis, Think paddles, as well as Jantex paddles for you. He is also a premier rep for Vaikobi and Mocke products. I believe he is traveling to and from Chattajack this coming weekend, so get in touch with him to try and arrange something.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27313 by Aurelius
Replied by Aurelius on topic Perfect Paddle Selection

mckengmsurfski wrote: Aurelius, you should check with Mike Canfield at Ocean Paddle Company (www.oceanpaddlecompany.com) in Jupiter, FL as well. He travels all over FL, and is up and down I-95 regularly, and would be happy to arrange for demos of Think surfskis, Think paddles, as well as Jantex paddles for you. He is also a premier rep for Vaikobi and Mocke products. I believe he is traveling to and from Chattajack this coming weekend, so get in touch with him to try and arrange something.

Thanks Mark, I'll definitely contact him at some point to see if I can try out a Jantex paddle. I've heard too many good things about them not to consider one. I see he also sells just the kind of paddling trunks I've been looking for! I wish I'd known about this dealer before.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 2 months ago #27783 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Perfect Paddle Selection
Here's something NEW... a VIRTUAL TOUR for Braca.
Note: I do not work for Braca - but I have nearly the entire range of Braca available for testing on the water's edge in Brittany, France. I was, however, hired to create a virtual tour for the French Representative.

For those who cannot make it to France to check them out in person, this is for YOU!

VIRUTAL TOUR
www.tourfr.com/56110
(Based on my favorite Braca XI)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics