The optimal GPS for surf ski

More
6 years 7 months ago #29963 by AR_convert

SurfskiEstonia wrote:
.....I went out and bought a Garmin Epix, a discontinued model: ..... But the current GPS speed accuracy is horrible. Paddling on flat water it updates constantly like this (in KM/h): 8,6; 7,8; 8,8; 9,2; 8,5; 9,1; 8,6; 7,3 etc. From this I deduct that my speed has been around 8,5 km/h. And it doesn't matter what's frequency of data (1 sec or longer), it stays the same.

The best watch I had for smooth speed display was the 310XT. (actually I went through 3 of them over the years). I then got a Garmin Vivoactive (smartwatch) and had this issue. It didnt have 1 second sampling, it did have reference more satellites but no improvement.

To make the speed reading more useful I set lap distance to 200m and set the speed displayed as avg lap speed, this gave me a much more accurate speed as its was averaging over the 200m.

As much as I liked all the features of the Vivoactive the inability to setup intervals sessions was enough to make me get a 920XT, the cheapest watch I could find that did all the 320XT did and had bluetooth pairing with phone so no mucking around with uploading (an issue with the 910XT according to many online forums).

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #29965 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Garmin Connect Usability
Garmin Connect only show speed in minutes per 500 meter. I have not found any way to change it. Have to use a calculator to figure out mph. That to me is a huge problem. Anyone else have the same issue?

More
6 years 7 months ago #29966 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic The optimal GPS for surf ski
SamTaylor cheers for info on Speedcoach GPS. Certainly has the bells and whistles for a GPS specific unit for paddling though at AU$500 not cheap. Mind you if chasing just that, reckon I would invest in one.
Thanks.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia, davgdavg

More
6 years 6 months ago #30029 by peteski
Replied by peteski on topic Garmin Connect Usability
Garmin shows speed in minutes per 500m for Rowing only. I have a Garmin Fenix 5 and usually select the SUP App which gives great paddling stats and metrics. I then edit the workout in Connect to Paddling once uploaded. I also use the Running App when doing downwind and edit to Paddling when uploaded.

Fennix Swordfish S - Carbon Hybrid

More
6 years 6 months ago #30031 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Garmin Connect Usability
I second the recommendation for the NK Speedcoach. Been using it routinely for 2 yrs now and not even a hiccup. If I lost it, I'd buy another. Current speed updates almost instantaneously and much faster than on my older 310XT - which sits in a drawer now. Stroke rate is the default screen in the upper left box (mine was made for SUP's) and I don't find that useful. The other three boxes are changeable. Battery life is about 10 hrs or so until it needs a recharge. I've only downloaded data to a laptop once, and it was easy. I don't use the programmable workout function.
EBorgnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
6 years 6 months ago #30033 by davgdavg
I found the Velocitek Prostart, which looks nice, but at $599 and less features than the Speed Coach I think the Speed Coach looks a little more appealing.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30114 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic The optimal GPS for surf ski
Stay away from the Ambit 2S. I have been using it for 3 years with disappointing results. The track only showed a data point every 4-10 secs even though the recording interval was set to 1 sec and GPS accuracy to Best. So I contacted Suunto support and after making sure I had understood how to use it they told me to delete my settings and re-set the device. When that didn't work they asked the head office and this was the reply.
"We have been in contact with our Tech expert regarding your concern. After investigation your case, we have found that the GPS accuracy is indeed using 1 second intervals to track the GPS position (making it the most accurate) but it takes longer than that for the device to write the data to the memory. We have seen GPS data is saved mostly every 3 to 5 secs. Meaning that even if you have Recording interval 1 second and GPS Accuracy Best, the device will still only have GPS data written to the memory every 3 - 5 seconds. The recording interval of 1 sec makes it so that samples are written every second, but that does not mean that every sample contains GPS information. With the highest accuracy you will still have more accurate data than GPS Good, even if the fix for that one is 5 seconds, because the device still tracks your position every second, but the data is as previously mentioned only written to memory every 3 - 5 seconds. The Ambit2 is limited by its older technology, it is just not powerful enough to write the data faster to the memory. However, the Ambit3 and Spartans have more powerful CPUs and better GPS chips - these can save GPS data every second though.The GPX export only contains samples which also have GPS data, so this one will not be every second even if the recording interval is 1 second...."
So the Ambit 2S can't record 1 GPS data point/ sec even though the instructions and specs say you can. I think this is pretty mendacious.
Has anybody found if Garmins have same problem? Also (I know this is getting off topic) how accurate is the GPS recording of the Virb and GoPro cameras?

Latest Forum Topics