What are people using for paddle grips?

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29494 by davgdavg
I'd like to increase the diameter of my paddle a little by putting some sort of grip on there.

What are people using? (I thought about bicycle handlebar tape, which would be a nice feel, but I think it would lose adhesive quickly from the salt water.)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by davgdavg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29495 by JohnK
Tegs grip tape, tennis racquet overgrip, standard electrical tape or hockey stick tape and of course surf board wax for grip
Each comes with its pros and cons.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29497 by fredrik
I have tried it all but I suggest just sanding down the grip area on the shaft. try 600 grit first. and adjust up or down as you prefer. Holds a long time and easy to "update" as needed with a consistent result.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29516 by agooding2
I use the Burnwater Fusion grip tape, holds up better than tennis racket tape and waterproof and easier on the hands than wax.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
6 years 7 months ago #29520 by M.v.E.
I am using bicycle handlebar tape made out of cork. It works great. I am using it for many years now and never had to replace it . I tried tennis racket tape before but that was totally useless.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29522 by LakeMan
I wear a pair of paddling gloves and they have worked great. Helps when I carry the ski too.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 7 months ago #29535 by feeny
Ive been using paddle gloves too. Also helps prevent blisters. I form callouses OK, but with gym work etc, they tend to blister up from time to time, especially if I change from paddling in cold to warm water.

So, on with the gloves, blisters and grip solved!

More
6 years 7 months ago #29599 by davgdavg
Thanks for the replies.

Gloves in 85-90F (maybe 34-37c more or less?) weather with 80 degree water is a very unappetizing prospect. I thought about sanding or wax, but I also want a larger diameter.

If bike tape has worked for some people I'll probably give that a try since I have a lot of experience with that and like the grip.

Thanks again
--David

More
6 years 7 months ago #29646 by zachhandler
I have had good luck with self fusing silicone tape. for example:
www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-Self-Fusing-S...ngular/dp/B00AZOK55G

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29647 by feeny
The gloves I use are fingerless and a very, very light (on the back of the hand, padded on the palm of course) and actually specifically designed for hot conditions.

www.seatosummit.com.au/products/paddle-a...f50/?ref=watersports
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by feeny. Reason: links

More
6 years 6 months ago #29776 by PeteCress
I always used the stuff they put on windsurfer booms: attached with contact cement.

Recently got a new paddle, and had run out of the stuff, so I used bicycle handlebar tape on the new paddle.

Not bad at all. A little noisy as the hands squeek when slipping, but overall satisfactory.

OTOH, if I come across some of the windsurfer boom covering, I will go back to that.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29786 by Mjwashington
I just use electrical heat shrink. It gives good grip and still allows me to "feel" the paddle.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29789 by WingSuit
That rescue tape works extremely well for me. It feels tacky but not too much friction like jockey tape. I line up a small length of small diameter cord under it, down the length of the shaft, to mark the rotational position of the paddle in my hands, an old whitewater trick. That little cord bump needs to be under my index finger knuckle joint. I also use thin nrs gloves since I get these nodules on my tendons from a medical condition called Dupuytrens Syndrome. Used to get blisters under my callouses from that. Good for sun protection too.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29790 by WingSuit
thats hockey tape, not jockey.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by WingSuit. Reason: Double post

More
6 years 6 months ago #30001 by red_pepper
I've been using bicycle handlebar tape - cork or gel - for a few years now. I secure the ends with electrical tape. I have a few arthritic finger joints that make it painful to paddle a "bare" shaft, but I do well with the padding of the handlebar tape.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30103 by owenw
I have always just used a lightly sanded shaft and my callouses (Epic Mid Wing paddle). My wife (a very handy flatwater marathoner) used to use tennis racquet tape, but for the last couple of years has done away with the tape and just uses a lightly sanded shaft (Jantex Gamma S paddle) and wears sailing gloves for both her ski and K1; she has small hands.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

Latest Forum Topics