Kayak Ergometer

More
7 years 5 months ago #27373 by kwolfe
Kayak Ergometer was created by kwolfe
So I have been seriously consider getting a kayak erg for this winter. When the weather gets really cold or the water freezes I would like to continue training to make sure that everything is tip top for the spring.

I do lift and run at work during lunch. I have a Concept II model C in my basement that I enjoy a lot but would like be able to mimic the kayak stroke. This leads me to many different options, some of which are pretty darn expensive.

Vasa Trainer:
- can be used for kayak, SUP and outrigger training
- $2200 - $2500 (more if you get the monitor) plus $100 delivery
- side note, they should really get someone in the video who actually paddles :laugh:

Kayakpro Speedstroke:
- $2500 plus $110 delivery
- can only do kayak stroke

K1 trainer:
- found on ebay new for $1750 delivered
- looks to be the same design as the speedstroke

Stroke2max:
- looks like $1950 delivered
- looks the same as the K1 and Speedstroke

Paddleone:
- uses friction for resistance
- may be able to be converted for OC1 and SUP
- $1200 not delivered

So what are everyone's thoughts? I really would prefer not to break the bank, however I don't want to buy something that would ultimately been disappointing and really hard to resell. BTW, if there is anyone out there that is looking to sell their erg, let me know!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27375 by jfudo
Replied by jfudo on topic Kayak Ergometer
I had to check to make sure I didn't write this post. Your story matches mine. I have an old concept II as well. I don't want to pay for those machines either. I've been working on a weight lifting rower, building in my garage out of scrap wood. I got the inspiration from the kayakpro catchforce. I figured if one side at a time workout works well enough to develop this machine then I could easily make one on my own. I'm about $25 into it for a couple pulleys, some rope and a big wood dowel for the paddle. I had an old seat for the concept II laying around. I just need to figure out how to attach the weight better and it will be fully functional. It is a little loud due to the cheap pulleys that I'm going to try to upgrade, but it seems like it might work. I'll post some pictures when I figure it all out.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27400 by Perfect Paddle Trainer Guy

I had the same problem a few years ago. So I made my own. Send me an email for details. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27422 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Kayak Ergometer
Definitely a cool looking erg. has anyone used the K1 Trainer? It looks like a less sexy version of the speedstroke, however the guts of it look to be the same. And at roughly $800 cheaper looks like a better option.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #27425 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Kayak Ergometer
seems paddelite is missing in that list? it's nicely short, have a look at it

ok, I'm not an ergo guy but can unterstand that some chose this option, I like the cradle diy types, if you are gonna watch TV in winter anyway when family is asleep, why not on a cradle ...

from 2:56

low budget solution
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27465 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Kayak Ergometer
I have been toying around with the thought of building one. Might still do it however wanted to give this a bump to see if anyone else has any erg experience. Especially with the K1. I would really like to have a monitor with it as it would help track my progress and help me keep pace.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #27564 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Kayak Ergometer
nice ... if one would need a monitor for HR and stroke rate etc., there are smartphone apps ...

www.kayakbalancetrainer.com/

another DIY one:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27589 by jfudo
Replied by jfudo on topic Kayak Ergometer
Took me about 3 weeks from purchase to finish (not that it is really finished) but it works great. Lots of extra holes and such from changing things around to get it to work. Each side is separate rope using bungees for tension. Obviously re-used a lot of the old ski machine, in fact made it a priority to use only and all the parts from the machine. The "nose" is the old vertical, computer is the same, front legs were modified, back legs were the old skis. Couldn't figure out how to use the big pad or the arm rope thing. Pretty much only purchased rope, bungee, pulleys, threaded rod. The seat I had laying around from when I replaced it on my rowing erg.

The machine isn't set up to help with balance at all of course but this does allow for proper form. Before and after pictures (the before isn't my exact unit, I never actually took a picture before I started)

Ok, I can't get picture to upload for some reason, they fail. Here is a link:

www.dropbox.com/sh/wdyjzmdus1xalxq/AAAIo...5-s_HXgBAUL8-la?dl=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uffilation

More
11 months 1 week ago #40456 by Brenno64
Replied by Brenno64 on topic Kayak Ergometer
Stay away from K1, rubbish service, never answer calls. The "computer" costs $500 to replace, just ridiculous for the same tech they've been using for 30 years.
These guys are just an engineering company, they're not paddlers.

Latest Forum Topics