Knysna G20,

More
9 years 8 months ago #21233 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Knysna G20, was created by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi guys,could any of you help me with some comparison information about the Kynsna G20 and G40 boats? I have found them for sale in the UK at around half the cost of something like an Epic,the seller is too far away for a test paddle to be possible, and to be honest he has no experience of skis, they seem to be a sideline to his paddle and K1 sales. I fit the height and weight limits of the G20,just,by a couple of cm and a couple of kg.I have a Stealth Performance Products Envy at the moment and it is just too unstable for me too be comfortable, I have been told that my current boat is around the same stability as an Epic V12, so I'm looking for something a little closer to the V10 level.Could any of you give me an idea of the stability of the Kynsna boats in relation to the Epic range as they are the only skis I or any of my clubmates has any experience of, there are very few skis around in Scotland at the moment,it's growing but there just isn't the experience that is found on this forum, to be honest there isn't a paddle goes by that I don't get asked questions about the boat,ie haw mister wit's that?

Thanks.

Stuart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21234 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic Knysna G20,
The G20 and G40 are full blown race boats. So they are on the tippy side .
If you want something closer to a V10 in terms of stability, I would reckon a Genius BLU would be more what you are looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baldy-Old-Troll

More
9 years 8 months ago #21235 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Knysna G20,
At 6'2"/1.87m/85kg I couldn't fit in the G20 and found it very tippy. As you've noted, it's designed for smaller people.

The G40 was a lot easier to paddle, but I'd agree with jagter that it's possibly a little more tippy than the V10 (especially the new one) in terms of stability. The seat is very different though, a lot narrower, more like a Fenn bucket, and a lot deeper; the G40 has quite high rails.

It doesn't have much rocker as I recall. In the kind of short, steep wind generated downwind conditions that we get here in Cape Town, I found that with the standard rudder at the time (2+ years ago) I found myself broaching if I wasn't concentrating... A bigger elliptical surf rudder would probably go some way to sort this out.

There aren't that many of them around here, but at least one elite level paddler was doing well on one.

I spent a lot of time on the Genius BLU and liked it - particularly in big downwind conditions. I found it very responsive, easy to get going on the runs. I had a big elliptical surf rudder on it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baldy-Old-Troll

More
9 years 8 months ago #21238 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Replied by Baldy-Old-Troll on topic Knysna G20,
Thanks guys,I don't think the importer brings the Blu over here but I'll check, as for deep rails, that sounds like my Stealth, it's a real pain to remount,and I do mean pain I've got the bruises to prove it.

Stuart.

Latest Forum Topics