Advice on new crossover

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21923 by Laz
Advice on new crossover was created by Laz
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice regarding a crossover downwinder ski for begginners with a good glide, easy remount, planned to use in small - heavy chops, short steep waves max 1,5 m , 10 -30+ knots wind range.
Top speed isn’t a issue , the ski have to pick up also small runners easy, so is my first selection the Epic V8, Stellar S18S and the Vajda Hawx 52.
Can anyone compare the 3 candidates ??

I am 59y, 5’7” 170cm , short legged and my dry weight is 83kg.
Wingpaddle, legdrive, average fitness, moderate pace.
For ergonomic paddling position and torso rotation I prefer a higher seating position, let say at least 3-5 cm higher as footwell.

Many thanks in advance

Ahhh and sorry for my poor english, my google translator sucks again...and again

Sorry guys my Google translator sucks every time...again & again
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Laz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21941 by [email protected]
Hi laz,
When you say crossover, that means you're coming from a sea kayak background?
The V8 is based on the 18x hull and is super stable. Don't know the other two boats.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21942 by Laz
Replied by Laz on topic Advice on new crossover
Yes Rob ,
with crossover I mean the boat class to switch over from other type of kayaks to the skisport.
I personally like to paddle almost everything, was on OC1 and now on SUP boards.
Got some troubles with my back and left shoulder, probably caused by the asymmetric load on the body.
So I digged out my old Kajner Wing Nbr. 4 from 2006 , and hope in the surfski for Salvation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21945 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Advice on new crossover
Don't know about where you are at, but around here there are several used fenn XT's for sale on craigslist most of the time. They are a great little boat. Loads of fun with the right rudder.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21946 by epic5253
Replied by epic5253 on topic Advice on new crossover
Hi Laz, from a statistical point of view:

V8 18' 22"
S18S 18' 21"
H52 18' 20"

they are all 18 footers, but the diffidence is in the width. My advise, go test paddle them. I currently have a 18x Sea Kayak and looking at the V10S surfski as crossover.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21948 by Laz
Fath2o
I live in Germany, but paddle in The Netherlands,
the second hand market is very poor here, there are a lot of older elite skis offered now, but notting what inspires me.
My future foolproof downwinder ski have must a width of at least 50+cm,
I don't like wet hair ( yezzz I still have one !!!) at lower temperatures :-))

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21949 by Laz

epic5253 wrote: Hi Laz, from a statistical point of view:

V8 18' 22"
S18S 18' 21"
H52 18' 20"

they are all 18 footers, but the diffidence is in the width. My advise, go test paddle them. I currently have a 18x Sea Kayak and looking at the V10S surfski as crossover.

Yes I know, try before buy.......
The only available 18' demo ski at the moment is a Epic V8 V1 from 2012.
The difference to V2 is not to neglect what I read in this forum.

How is your Stellar 18? It is the same hull as the S18S ?with a sit on top deck?
How is the glide and acceleration ? how fast picks up the runners?

More
9 years 6 months ago #21950 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Advice on new crossover
I owned a Stellar S18S for awhile, but I haven't paddled the other two boats you mentioned (although I have paddled an Epix 18X, the sea kayak variant of the V8). The S18S is an impressive boat - well made, stable, and fast for that class of ski. The hatches and such are a nice touch on the boat. The key is really how well the boat fits you; all the boats mentioned will fit you a little differently (which is why it would be nice if you could try it first, but that isn't always possible). I'm not familiar with the H53, but I think you would be quite happy with either the S18S or the V8, depending on which is easier to obtain.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21952 by Laz

red_pepper wrote: I owned a Stellar S18S for awhile, but I haven't paddled the other two boats you mentioned (although I have paddled an Epix 18X, the sea kayak variant of the V8). The S18S is an impressive boat - well made, stable, and fast for that class of ski. The hatches and such are a nice touch on the boat. The key is really how well the boat fits you; all the boats mentioned will fit you a little differently (which is why it would be nice if you could try it first, but that isn't always possible). I'm not familiar with the H53, but I think you would be quite happy with either the S18S or the V8, depending on which is easier to obtain.

red_pepper,
do you know the seat height of the S18S or rather the height difference footwell and the lowest point bucket?

More
9 years 6 months ago #21953 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Advice on new crossover
The seat hight and foot hight are about the same on the S18s and I think could use some padding. It's a big bucket and will fit a less than totaly slim bum. If you want to do any touring then the S18s is the only beginner "ski" at moment with real hatches. It's a very versatile boat and comes over the stern rudder ready as well as under. If touring is not importent then give them all a try... V8, Eze/Big Eze, Bluefin...etc. If I had any ishues flooding on downwinds I would give a V8 a look, the bailer is excellent (super fast!) and it has cockpit handles on the new model as well. I do like my S18s though. Catches small and medium waves super easy and is very quick to maneuver with endless secondary stability. It's a champ on short steep stuff.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Latest Forum Topics