Custom Kayaks Mark 2

More
9 years 4 months ago #22210 by Orman
Custom Kayaks Mark 2 was created by Orman
Hi all,

Can anyone who has experience with the Custom Kayaks Mark 2 double ski comment on its performance, in particular stability? I a novice-to-intermediate paddler (feeling very comfortable in a Red 7 Surf 70 - NOT the Valheru model!) and am keen to introduce my wife and kids to surf ski paddling. I am interested in getting a double ski, and have an opportunity to buy a good condition second hand Custom Kayaks Mark 2.

Is this ski reasonably stable, or would we spend most of our time swimming? I have not been able to find much info about this model.

Most paddling would be done in pretty flat water.

Many thanks!
Scott

Takapuna Boating Club
Current: Think Ion, Think Evo II, Custom Kayaks Mark 2
Previous: Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf 70

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22211 by [email protected]
From what I remember, the ski is reasonably stable, but the one that I paddled (many years ago) had seats that were ridiculously wide, to the extent that I was sliding around in the bottom of the front seat.

That might be very off-putting, especially for small people!

I'd strongly recommend having a go in it before you put your money down!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orman

More
9 years 4 months ago #22216 by zamalek
Replied by zamalek on topic Custom Kayaks Mark 2
The Mark 2 has a very similar hull shape to a Fenn Millenium double, not the most stable boat but not too bad either.The biggest issue I had with mine was the low volume especially for the rear paddler who kept on getting "washed" around on the runs.This will not affect you on mainly flat water and is quick enough to run with anything.

Hope this helps.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22234 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Custom Kayaks Mark 2
Hi we loved ours

We paddled ours off the east coast of South Africa for 2 years and found it great. It is NOTHING like the fenn mil which we found to be an impossible ski with no manners on the downwinds

A mate still uses ours and cannot work out why anyone would change skis. Having said that it is not the most stable ski - the XT is but if your family have time to play in it they will soon get the hang of it.
Iike the seperate foot wells at the back and its general stability BUT do try it first different bums have different experiences

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
9 years 4 months ago #22376 by Orman
Replied by Orman on topic Custom Kayaks Mark 2
Thank you to you all for your help!

On the strength of your positive comments I bought the ski, and and am absolutely delighted. Paddling with one of my friends (novice) we had a few swims but were making good progress within an hour. Our swims were due to poor technique, mainly getting wobbly and out of sync after a bracing stroke. Overall it feels fairly stable. Paddling it by myself it felt VERY stable, so should be perfect for putting my kids in the back seat and getting them om the water.

The front cockpit feels fantastic - high seat and low feet means great ergonomics (and less hip flexor strain, which has been the biggest obstacle in my Red7 Surf 70.

There seem to be a few well-used Mark 2s for sale now; i would thoroughy recommend the ski to anyone who is interested in a double but doesn't want to pay full price for a new one. I got mine for less than a third of the price of a new ski - stoked!

Thanks again guys!

Takapuna Boating Club
Current: Think Ion, Think Evo II, Custom Kayaks Mark 2
Previous: Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf 70

Latest Forum Topics