Thoughts on Point 65 - XP18 Spyder

• MCImes
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23862 by MCImes
Thoughts on Point 65 - XP18 Spyder was created by MCImes
Hey all,
I'm eyeing up a Point 65 brand XP18 Spyder surf ski. I have found some reviews of the XP18 (The boat is made as a Sit In and a Sit On. The Non-spyder=Sit In Kayak, Spyder=Sit On Top/Surf ski). Im wondering what surfskiers think of this boat. It looks close to an Epic V8 with hatches; its 18' long, 21.2" wide.

Im trying to get my first ski and although I'd like a 2nd gen Epic V10S, everyone selling one wants $2500+ even for used ones, so I'm exploring whatever boat is cheap (Im on a $1000 budget for now), and the guy is only asking $800 usd which is the cheapest ski ive seen in the Northeast US.

If its even half decent and gets me on the ocean, I wouldnt argue...I even like the hatches as I wouldnt mind camping occasionally and who can argue with a fast tripper, but do they pose an open ocean liability?

www.point65.com/kategori/5306/facts.html

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this boat?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23863 by Fuyang Guy
Sorry, nothing real to add, but checked out the link,. and the following made me smile.
"Weights on composite boats is stated without
accessories such as rudder, hatches "
Interesting that parts of the boat that you cannot paddle without are considered accessories

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23866 by AR_convert

Fuyang Guy wrote: Sorry, nothing real to add, but checked out the link,. and the following made me smile.
"Weights on composite boats is stated without
accessories such as rudder, hatches "
Interesting that parts of the boat that you cannot paddle without are considered accessories

and at a stated weight of 25kg :ohmy: it's no (as described) "lean machine" ;)

It may well be a good tourer, but make sure your back and shoulders are up to lifting it on and off a car roof.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by AR_convert.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23867 by Joseph
G' Day,

As we age or new to the Surf Ski we all should look to a more stable Ski so as to keep at it to learn the water we use,or as we say stay in the Game and be real about our condition to even paddle a Ski.
N. East coast is a popular spot for Ski's the past 5 years good buys are not easy to find. you either want to get into the ski seen with a stable any make 28/32 lb. boat. or buy a Kayak or some one 50 lb. sit on top none of them will be any help in you seeing if you want a Surf Ski. I am not downing either, you jump into a Ski in 6 months you will be hooked or the sport will Suck for yourself, You can not fake Surf Ski use it is a real world sport. look south last week 2- 07 Epic v10 and v10-l sold for $500.00 each both in good condition both have spent most of there life in some ones home or shed. try to find some people with ski's to try one before even thinking about buying a ski and 1-k should find you one.

Most today unless in or on warm water and air do not use a ski enough to beat it to death and very little going out or in surf break each day on main land U.S. any longer, skis on the flat can last a life time if under cover.

Have Fun Cheers Joseph

Joseph

• rhainan
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23868 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Thoughts on Point 65 - XP18 Spyder
The Epic V7 should be hitting the east coast of the US in 1-2 months if you can wait that long. It will be lighter than the Spyder yet probably more durable due to the rotomold construction. The list price on the V7 is $1500. The problem might be actually finding one for sale. Most Epic dealers have already pre-sold a lot of their shipments.

If you have patience and keep checking the classifieds you can find something close to your budget. You can usually get a first generation V10S or V10 for around $1000. I got my first V10S for that a couple of years ago.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23869 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Thoughts on Point 65 - XP18 Spyder
I know good deals eventually come along, I picked up my canoes for cheap after watching online for months. I'm just anxious to get a ski, as one of the reasons I moved to the cost was to ski.

Im not interested in a v7 for a couple reasons. #1, cost. I'd rather spend $1500 for a used V10 or V10S. #2, I want s semi fast boat. I know 18'x21" isn't exactly elite level, but I'd like something similar to a V10S, ~20' and 19".

Weight isn't an issue. I can schlep my tandem canoe on my car by myself just fine and that's ~48lbs (or ~23 kilo for the rest of the world) so <50lbs is manageable by me

As for trying a ski, I've already done that and KNOW I'm hooked. Skis are the funnest boat style I've ever paddled. I just need to find a v10s or other decent boat. I'll continue the hunt.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by MCImes.

Latest Forum Topics