Ski brands and recommendations for dummies

More
8 years 8 months ago #24307 by MalanZA
I recently moved to Cape Town and want to buy my very first surf ski with the intent of competing later. I'm an experienced river paddler but have no idea about the manufacturers and quality on the market. Google searches mostly yield results on Fenn and Epic, but what about the others. What brands should I look at and what (if at all) should I avoid?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24308 by [email protected]
Howzit...

We're spoilt for choice these days.

Aside from Fenn and Epic, there are great boats built in SA by Carbonology Sport and by Knysna Racing Kayaks. Mark Lewin's boats are also being sold under the Point brand in Durban.

But I'd strongly recommend that you go see Pete Cole at Orka on Main Road, Tokai. He'll give you his informed opinion on the various models available in our market - and he has a number of demos that you can try before you buy.

My own experience has been with excellent quality boats from Fenn, Epic and Carbonology (and a Think Evo II built under license by Carbonology). I can't speak with recent experience of Knysna Kayaks or Point, but I believe their build quality is also good.

Fenn, Epic and Carbonology would probably have higher resale value than the other two, just because those brands are better known and are more common in Cape Town.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MalanZA

More
8 years 8 months ago #24310 by red_pepper
I'm a long ways from South Africa, but I believe Stellar and Think skis are also available in your area. These, along with those Rob mentioned, would be good options to check out.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24312 by [email protected]

Stellar and Think skis

Yep, good point, Stellar skis are imported, I've not had the opportunity to paddle them.
Think Evo II, Uno Max are built by Carbonology under license as noted above.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
8 years 8 months ago #24313 by Flowmaster
I have Epic and Stellar, only would say, try Stellar before you decide. other top brands are fine, but Stellar is Stellar. :evil:

Not sponsered in any way.

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 8 months ago #24316 by TaffyMick

Flowmaster wrote: I have Epic and Stellar, only would say, try Stellar before you decide. other top brands are fine, but Stellar is Stellar. :evil:

Not sponsered in any way.

Hahaha... love it. Spoken like a True Stellarite! :laugh:

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
8 years 8 months ago #24317 by Ranga
Sorry I think Stellar has pulled out of RSA!

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24318 by Ric

robin.mousley wrote: I can't speak with recent experience of Knysna Kayaks or Point, but I believe their build quality is also good.

I have owned Point skis and I would absolutely steer clear of them as in my experience their build quality is not good at all. That said, the old Custom Kayaks Horizon boats used to be built very well.

I still own my Knysna Racing "Genius" CLK and it is a fantastic boat.

go see Pete Cole at Orka on Main Road, Tokai.

Best advice! Try before you buy. Even if you end up going 2nd hand.

Of course it all depends on what level paddler you are - that's a more important factor. Oh, and your budget.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Ric.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago #24324 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Ski brands and recommendations for dummies

Ric wrote: I have owned Point skis and I would absolutely steer clear of them as in my experience their build quality is not good at all. That said, the old Custom Kayaks Horizon boats used to be built very well.

My Horizon's seams opened up after less than a year's paddling. So weight does not equal strength necessarily.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24325 by MalanZA
All the responses have been really helpful! Thanks a lot okes, hope to see you in the water soon.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24327 by Ric
Malan which area are you in, and what proficiency level? We have quite a strong social paddling scene in Fish Hoek for beginner to intermediates, as well as lots of training options for the more hardcore.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24348 by MalanZA
Ric I'm in Table View. I have a lot of flatwater experience and also a bit in rivers, but I haven't been on the sea long enough to give you a straight answer.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24349 by Ric

MalanZA wrote: I have a lot of flatwater experience and also a bit in rivers, but I haven't been on the sea long enough to give you a straight answer.

Can you get any type of boat for Sunday's Seadog race at Fish Hoek?
Then you will get to see lots of different skis and assess your surfski skill level.

Otherwise join us on Saturday (any Saturday) at 9am Fish Hoek Sailing Club for the social group. Organise a demo boat (Bluefin perhaps for starters) from Pete and come try it out.

Latest Forum Topics