Numb legs: Old Fenns vs. New "S" models?

More
6 years 10 months ago #28847 by davgdavg
So I'm one of the unlucky ones who´s butt fits the older Fenn seats like they are a medieval torture device. 10-15 minutes and I'm totally numb. (FWIW, I am pretty flexible).

Has anyone who had problems on the older style seats compare them to the new "S" ones? (Especially helpful to know about the newer Elite S model).

Thanks and Aloha!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #28850 by LakeMan
For what it's worth I ride a cycle called a Catrike Speed. My feet are horizontally level with my heart when I peddle. After 15 minutes or so my feet start going numb. And as you know numbness can be painful. Is it possible it's not the seat but the height of your feet? Just thinking out loud.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 9 months ago #28859 by davgdavg
Sure, definitely possible, but in this case I'm pretty sure its the Fenn seat shape. A lot of people seem to have the same problem with the seat. I live where there aren't any available to demo, so I'm trying to find out if others have experienced some relief with the newer seat design (s).

More
6 years 9 months ago #28860 by LakeMan
Well of anyone can help you it's the guys here. They know their skis.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
6 years 9 months ago #28864 by photofr
Almost always, you can totally prevent legs going numb by:
- drinking way more water
- rotating more (your torse)

However, the easiest fix is usually to simply use padding to raise your seating position. Many brands will try to increase the stability of their skis by lowering the sitting position. That's great for a 20 year old, not so good for older folks.

Raise your seat to most likely make your problems disappear.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
6 years 9 months ago #28880 by Scode
I have an Elite SL and had the original Swordy, both boats gave me the dreaded dead leg after 10 -15 minutes also. Got the new Swordfish S and can sit in it all day no problems what so ever. I just wish they could put the Swordy seat in the Elite S.

For what its worth and after lots of trying different things, Ive found the best thing to stop dead leg in my SL is to actually put padding directly behind my bum which moves me forward about 4 or 5 cm then just move the footplate that far forward also and no problems - weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
6 years 9 months ago #28889 by Dicko
I have a mate who simply can't paddle the older Fenns. Ten minutes in the bucket and his legs go numb. He has a new elite s and a swordie s and has no trouble at all.
I am fairly certain that the hump catches you at the back of your legs ( a bit like sitting on the edge of a chair or lying on your arm) and the pressure compresses the nerves and vessels at the base of your bum. Shortening the foot pedals, butt pads etc change the pressure from the hump. Drinking water will make you less thirsty, you'll weigh more and you'll probably need to urinate during your paddle, but it won't change the numbness.
Mostly some bums just don't fit Fenn buckets. The new buckets are more like the epic bucket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
6 years 9 months ago #28890 by davgdavg
Scode, Dicko,

Thanks for your replies. Was exactly what I was trying to find out. Much appreciated!

Latest Forum Topics