Help - v8/v8pro or spec ski?

More
6 years 5 months ago #30086 by Marko
Hi,

I live in Adelaide and wish to buy a ski that I could learn in reasonably quickly. I would like to compete in SLS comps which would mean a spec ski. I know these are as tippy as so I am cautious about getting one - tried one years ago, if only briefly. I have read that the v8 is a great ski to learn in but I don't think that is a spec ski? However, I do want a ski that I can practise getting in an out through surf as we do get some where I live as well as some long paddles. I can get free coaching from a high level coach but his knowledge is all spec ski based. Also, I will have a fair bit of time to train.

One issue is that there does not seem much access to all skis that are available elsewhere. Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,
Marko

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30087 by Scode
Replied by Scode on topic Help - v8/v8pro or spec ski?
Try a Fenn Tarpon, much more stable than the Fenn LS and other top end spec skis. Other brands do have more stable spec skis also which are worth a look.
The V8 is not a spec ski and neither is the V8 pro even though its the same length as a spec ski.
If you're going to be racing SLS events you must use a spec ski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marko

More
6 years 5 months ago #30088 by Marko
Replied by Marko on topic Help - v8/v8pro or spec ski?
Thanks,
I had not considered a Tarpon. Thanks also for the info about the V8 pro, I suspected that but was unsure.
Cheers,
Marko

• rhainan
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #30089 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Help - v8/v8pro or spec ski?
Epic be rolling out their first spec ski, the SLS10, any moment now. Epic Australia will probably have the first ones made.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30093 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Help - v8/v8pro or spec ski?
If all else fails in the stability stakes you could always have the seat of any spec ski lowered to make it as stable as. I do it all the time. You can pick up a good second hand spec ski cheap that has the wrong leg length, that is also no problem it can be altered to suit as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marko

More
6 years 5 months ago #30094 by fredrik
Ranga, just curious - how do you lower the seat.
Do you have pictures to share. Would be interesting to see how you solve it

More
6 years 5 months ago #30113 by Marko
Thanks everyone.

I have been advised by someone to try a Finn Endorphinn. However, I dont really want to lug around the extra weight and I really want a composite spec ski. I think I will try and look at a Tarpon or maybe the Fatboy (not manny around). Currently, secondhand is most likely and preferable - being for a learner.

Appreciate all your comments and anymore welcome. I can't wait to get paddling as although I do board paddle, kayaking has always been fun when I have done it.

Cheers,
Marko

More
6 years 5 months ago #30157 by Marko
Update: I am arranging to try out a deep seat Fenn LS. I will let you know how I get one.

Thanks for all the info.

Marko

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #33662 by Marko
Hi all,
I eventually went for a Fenn LS, which is great.  I have not had that much time for it, but I have really enjoyed it so far.  The ski is very well made and other people at our club have now purchased the same.  Being adjustable, means the whole family will get a use.

I appreciate all the advice and articles on this site, interesting and helpful.

Thanks,
Mark'o

More
4 years 2 months ago #35903 by Marko
Further to my last reply, I thought I would do an update with more details.

When I purchase my ski, I had foot operation with a joint cut, plated and screwed.  The recovery was far longer than I had envisaged, so I had a long delay before I got paddling.  I managed to get out a little, but it was in the surf and always windy.  Needles to say, remounts became a frequent occurrence.  As the kids went into winter sports, I did not get into the ski until I had an offer of training on a local river.  I managed 6 sessions and although my balance was not very good, I did make progress.

Then, surf life saving re started and I tried in the ocean.  I had improved, but the ocean does like to keep moving!  However, I manage about three times a week and now don't like it when there is no swell.  I have a very long way to go, but it is so much fun on  a ski, I am hooked.  My aim is to keep improving and I suspect I will get an ocean ski in a couple of years to add to my spec ski.

Keep paddling,
Mark'o

Latest Forum Topics