Think Eze for heavy-ish paddler?

• xavdhr
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30160 by xavdhr
Think Eze for heavy-ish paddler? was created by xavdhr
Hi,

Moving from sea kayak to surfski, I am looking for a new boat.
Is the Eze ok for a 90Kg paddler or shall I go for the Ace (info are a bit contradictory on the net)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30161 by LakeMan
The width of your hips when in a seated position is what you need to be looking at, not the weight limits. The EZE is 20" wide and the ACE is 22" however Thinks website doesn't list the inside width. I'd write or call them for more info. 198lbs isn't a bad weight if you're 6'3". Try to demo a ski if at all possible. I'm a fan of Think (since I own the Uno Max) but some of the other threads on here cover the best boats for robust paddlers. The type of water you will be paddling also makes a big difference on the type of ski you should get. I am a flat water paddler otherwise I may have purchased a more stable craft.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #30162 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Think Eze for heavy-ish paddler?
I have an EZE and it is a snug fit. Being much lighter (+20 lbs) than you and short, it fits very well. Sometimes I feel that it is designed for lighter paddlers though... I bought it for fitness paddling as an open deck alternative to a K1 trainer. It is a nice boat, but I would recommend at least trying the ACE. I think the Nelo 520 has a higher weight limit if that is an option.

I like the 520 series of boats, they are quick, light and easy to manage off the water. I also have a Genius CLK that is faster with slightly looser fit....both are nice boats and used for different purposes.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Jef58.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #30163 by Jef58
I have measurements from the EZE that I measured when looking at the CLK for comparison. Bucket width on the EZE is around 16" but gets very narrow from that point on. Inside width at the pedals is around 9" with a catch for width for me around 14-15" . The seat depth is around 7 3/4" which, I believe is lower than the ACE.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Jef58. Reason: errors in measurements

More
6 years 6 months ago #30164 by zachhandler
I think you will be too heavy for the eze unless you are using it for flatwater only. At my weight of 75kg I found the eze to have good primary but suprisingly poor secondary stability. That is ok on flat water but not a great combination for gaining confidence in waves. I think it would be even worse at your weight. Get the ace if possible.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• xavdhr
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30166 by xavdhr
Replied by xavdhr on topic Think Eze for heavy-ish paddler?
Thanks for all your answers.
My first post was indeed a bit short.

I am 5'11", I guess, more accurately 1m80.

I paddle on flat waters, big lakes, and sea (North Sea).
For flat waters, and canals, the sea kayak is also perfect. Fast kayak, keep my dry, shouldn't roll over so re-entry is not a problem. I will not use it on open sea, I know sound a bit weird, very little chance I will be able to climb back into it (skills and waves/wind).

Ski will be for a bit of everything, flat waters for fitness and technique, lakes and sea for fun.

I paddled the epic V7 on lake, very stable and nice boat, the carbonology cruze and boost both on lake and sea, cruze is like a super-tanker (very very stable) while the boost was less stable (secondary stability was great). I fitted nicely in all of them.

I will definitely try the boat before buying it. I was curious about the Eze, a demo boat is available not far away and the price is ok.

for the moment I am looking at the V8 and Ace; not a big fan of Nelo, they lack side handles and I kinda like them.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30167 by Jef58
I think you would be happier in the Boost or something similar. I wasn't sure what the use or criteria for your choice. My interest in the EZE was different than using it for a true surfski . The length was good for use on the various types of water we have in Florida. Mine is a river layup so it came with over stern rudder as well.

The CLK and boats similar (XT) have a better feel in choppy water IMO...

• xavdhr
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #30169 by xavdhr
Thanks

More
6 years 5 months ago #30221 by Stew

xavdhr wrote: Hi,

Moving from sea kayak to surfski, I am looking for a new boat.
Is the Eze ok for a 90Kg paddler or shall I go for the Ace (info are a bit contradictory on the net)?

To be honest, the Eze shouldn't feel too bad with 90kgs powering it along, but you may find the seat too tight. It is aimed to accommodate smaller paddlers in that regard. It might be worth trying the Ace, or even the new Zen if you're after something stable, comfortable, with a heap of secondary stability, and a lot of fun to paddle.

Cheers.

• xavdhr
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #30226 by xavdhr
Thanks.
Inside storage might be an issue for the Zen.
I would like to give it a go though.

Cheers

More
6 years 5 months ago #30237 by Henning DK
Nelo 510 and 520 have side handles, recessed inside the bucket

• xavdhr
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #30328 by xavdhr
Thanks for all your answers.
At the end I bought a nelo 520.
The cockpit of the think Ace was too tight for me, the Zen too long for my garage.
I had to hit myself on the head twice so I won't take the nelo 550, I managed to stay on the boat but the water was quite flat and I was a bit afraid about the learning curve.

The 520 cockpit fits my big bottom very nicely, I feel at home.

Cheers

More
6 years 5 months ago #30331 by LakeMan
Congrats on your 520. Hope you have many years of enjoyment out of it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Latest Forum Topics