double footwells vs. single footwell?

More
11 years 6 months ago #13195 by 1xsculler
What are the advantages and disadvantages of double or single footwells?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13216 by Nige
A single footwell allows your feet to be close to the centre of the ski which helps stability and allows the ski to be made with a narrower catch. The disadvantage of a single footwell is that it has a larger volume to fill up with water in the surf or extreme conditions.

More
7 years 1 month ago #27957 by LakeMan
It's been over four years since this post has received comments but I'm curious to why there seems to be no double footwell skis made any more. Now there may be but I haven't come across any. It would seem to me that the more spread out the feet are (double footwell) the better the balance would be. It also would seem that it would get more in the way of the paddle and make the boat a little heavier. Has the single footwell become the gold standard? Are skis with double footwells still being manufactured for those who prefer it? Thanks

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
7 years 1 month ago #27961 by Ranga
Aussie spec skis are mostly double footwell. Mainly for water loading and not having the extra weight till the footwell drains. To have a good paddling position as in the seat bing higher than your feet your seat has to be much higher than it would be if a single footwell making the skis relatively unstable.
And of course a mission to sell on as the leg lengths are fixed.

Latest Forum Topics