surfski vs. OC1?

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19033 by 1xsculler
surfski vs. OC1? was created by 1xsculler
My main reason for getting into a surfski was to increase my core strength to protect my lower back from the stress rowing put on it. That seems to have worked very well and I'm now rowing better than ever. After I realized how difficult it was to balance an elite surfski I became totally hooked by that challenge. I don't have the balance conquered by any means but I can paddle my tippy skis on my pretty mild home conditions with very little problem and I can even handle my rental new V10 on Maui in pretty choppy stuff. Other big ocean conditions and actually catching the runners you guys talk about is still something I have yet to try and would undoubtedly prove very challenging.
One of my biggest problems is maintaining straight up, or slightly forward, posture while in my ski. After a few miles I tend to slouch, big time, trying my hardest to sit up. I'm thinking I might not have that problem in an OC1 but have not paddled one. Guys certainly take their OC1s out in the same conditions as surfskiers and they surf down waves as well, right? I expect I would get the same, or similar, core workout in an OC1. How do the two compare?
What do you guys think?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by 1xsculler. Reason: error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19035 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic surfski vs. OC1?
You should be able to get a similar workout - and even cross-train a bit if you're using a canoe paddle. We have a tandem outrigger set up to allow the use of either kayak or canoe paddles (and we're working on selling some boats to pick up an OC1). My wife and I bought it so we could paddle together in something that was fast for me and stable for her. We both really enjoy the boat. As one who lives in a flat-water area with only rare opportunities to paddle on big-water, I really like using the outrigger as a stable but fast K-2 when I get the chance to race in bigger water conditions. A good outrigger is very similar to a surf ski in speed, surfing, etc.

How you sit (and for how long) in either boat depends on a combination of how the boat fits you and possibly how fit you are at the moment. The outrigger may be easier on your back from the standpoint that you typically sit a bit more upright, and the extra stability means you probably won't wear down as fast (less effort expended staying vertical). As a side note, if you paddle the outrigger with a canoe paddle, you'll use some different muscle combinations than you use with a kayak stroke, but you'll still build your core and the cross-training may actually improve your kayaking performance (I've seen it happen).

More
10 years 5 months ago #19038 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic surfski vs. OC1?

1xsculler wrote: ?..
One of my biggest problems is maintaining straight up, or slightly forward, posture while in my ski. After a few miles I tend to slouch, big time, trying my hardest to sit up.

Having never paddled an outrigger canoe or a non-outrigger racing canoe I can't speak about these. But I can tell you that I feel the new V10 to me seems to promote a slightly laid back posture, not an aggressive upright position. I feel I need the rear of the seat needs to be raised by a cm or so to achieve that (and if the hump and foot well depth are lowered, it won't hurt either).

So, while you research C1/outriggers you might try experimenting with seat padding on the V10. I've been meaning to try that with mine and will do it pretty soon, hopefully.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19039 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic surfski vs. OC1?
Single blade paddling needs pretty much the same core muscle strength and endurance as kayak/surfski. If you slouch backwards in a surfski, you will do the same in a canoe. Tinkering with the seat may or may not solve the problem. Other causes may be late stroke recovery, inadequate core strengthening, less than optimum conditioning, aging affects :evil: ....and enough conjecture.
Comfortable paddling (rowing too!) starts with good and efficient technique. The best way to get that is from a competent coach. Initially one on one sessions are best because of the instant feedback.
There are excellent coaches in the Seattle to Vancouver area.
Here is a starting point. www.rightangleperformance.com/index.php

More
10 years 5 months ago #19042 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic surfski vs. OC1?
HI Sculler,
The OC1 paddling position is much stronger as your feet are much lower than your backside and therefore you lean forward much more. Check out the videos and you will see this. I also have this problem and agree with Kocho that the seat is a little too low. I have moved the pedals in and out but have not found my fit. I am also looking at putting a seat pad in to get my body up and forward as it feels much more powerful but adds instabiility of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: latman

More
10 years 5 months ago #19044 by boss
Replied by boss on topic surfski vs. OC1?
I paddled outriggers for 20 years before getting into a skis about 5 years ago, currently doing both. while you do use your core more in a ski for stability I found OC's required more physical strength were I have found skis a lot more aerobic due to the higher stroke rate and battled with tight forms initially .Also the hips took a while to adjust to the different seating position.

There very successful paddlers that have done well at both, Lats(stealth surf craft) represented AUS at the Olympics in kayaks and went on to be a Top OC paddler amongst others who still compete in Surf skis. My suggestion is if there is a local OC club contact them and most paddlers will assist you in getting a paddle.
Happy paddling

regards

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
10 years 3 months ago #19584 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic surfski vs. OC1?
As mentioned, padding the seat will help… but try this (if all else fells)
When padding, place only 3 or 4 inches of your pad area parallel to the water, and the remaining of the pad area on the back. WIth a little bit of luck, you are not only raising your seat area, but actually leveling it out.
I hope this makes sense, and here's how you can try to accomplish this:
First paddle for about 30 minutes on super calm water.
Come back to shore.
Use duct tape to experiment with positioning your pad.
Go back out for a short paddle - 10 minutes.
Come back, re-adjust, etc…

Hope this helps - because if you get it right, your entire mid-section will feel PROJECTED forward. Your core will be more rested, and far more upright. If transformation is correct, you will have soar legs for a while (new muscles building up) - but don't be too excessive.

Best of luck

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 2 months ago #28031 by AusPaddler
Replied by AusPaddler on topic surfski vs. OC1?
Hi Red Pepper,

Did you say you have a tandem outrigger setup. Do you mean a ski or OC1 with an outrigger on both sides. I'm considering building either a ski or OC1 with twin outriggers and paddling it with a 2 blade ski paddle. Just trying to find anyone who might have done this before because I don't know if it's possible.

Much appreciated, Damien (Australia)

More
7 years 2 months ago #28057 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic surfski vs. OC1?
I think he meant 2 person outrigger. I do know of a paraplegic friend that has outriggers on both sides of his (rudderless) V-1, however the auxiliary outrigger on the right side is smaller and offset from his main ama, so I'd guess it would be in the way of a double blade.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #28058 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic surfski vs. OC1?
My wife and I have a 2-person outrigger which can be paddled with either canoe paddles or kayak paddles. I also have an extra iako set for my OC1 to allow paddling it with a kayak paddle. No need for a second outrigger on either boat. But if you want one, Huki makes a Dragon boat with outriggers on both sides:

www.huki.com/index.php?page=D1-X

I've also seen a number of pedal-powered boats consisting of a main hull and a small outrigger on either side.

I've attached a photo of our tandem outrigger from a Lake Michigan race I did with a friend using kayak paddles.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by red_pepper.

Latest Forum Topics