2015 ICF Ocean Racing World Champs - in Tahiti

More
9 years 11 months ago #20356 by portmanm
Doing the Mauritius trip this year, flying out of Sydney, about $3500 AUD for 9 nights in 4 star resort, all food/some alcohol, flights/transfers, ski hire and race entry.

If the Tahiti race can do something similar, I'd be open to it.

Dean Gardiner's Trip of a Lifetime (TOAL) in Western Australia for 6 nights with flights is around the $3500 AUD

Looked at 5 Capes in SA with the Mockes, just the doing the 5 Capes is about $3700 AUD without flights.

I reckon doing Portugal or San Fran with flights and good accommodation would be $3500 - 4000 AUD.

I'd be interested to know how much doing 'The Doctor' would cost all up for 1 week of paddling, decent hotel, flights and food - would add up to decent money I reckon.

So what am I saying, if you want to experience a world type event /experience you're up for decent money where ever you live. Those complainers about long trips doesn't cut it with Aussies.

I like the idea about linking events close together, get around world ticket :-)

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20367 by Seasurvival
Agreed portmanm!

No trip is cheap, but it makes sense to put events in the same part of the world close together. For a little extra cash two awesome events can be combined... it would certainly make travelling to a specific race more enticing!

More
9 years 11 months ago #20401 by @NachoSoler94
Hi, I'm a paddler from Gran Canaria ( Spain ) and I have been thinking to get there for the 2015 ICF event, I think that as much people say, the Europeans we are pretty much lucky because most of the races happen around here, so let's give the Tahitian people a chance. I'm sure they will put on a great show so a big applause to them and good luck to everyone who'll be there. :cheer:

What I basically wanted to say is that, as the whole travel will be expensive for most of the people, I would like to know if someone from Europe will go down to Tahiti for organize the journey with them and in that way trying to expend the less possible, for example, sharing a hotel room, rent a car together, things like that. And if possible, try to travel together from Europe.
I've been looking for possible combinations, and from Madrid Barajas, London Heathrow and Paris Charles de Gaulle aiports we could meet and make the journey more entertaining considering that its almost a two day travel. :blink:

So lets save money and try to have the chance to paddle in Paradise ! :)

More
9 years 11 months ago #20407 by Seasurvival
It would be great if someone would arrange a land package for international athletes... that way we could have all the stuff there, including entry, surfski rental, accom, transport etc arranged and all we need to take care of is flights. This should also make the package cost in Tahiti a lot more reasonable.

Any idea what time of the year it will be? Again, it would make sense to time it so that it is close to another race date in the greater area to make it a really worthwhile trip (Ideally Molokai, or even NZ)

More
9 years 11 months ago #20408 by sundance
I agree. Have it the Saturday after Molokai. 7 working days out the office, two big races, a holiday in between for the family. Happy days.

Paddling, good coffee, Sydney and Cape Town.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seasurvival

More
9 years 11 months ago #20409 by Seasurvival

More
9 years 10 months ago #20413 by @NachoSoler94
I sent a mail to the tahitian canoeing federation and they told me that it may be the first weekend of October because of the trade winds.

Latest Forum Topics