epic rudder inspection port cover

More
9 years 6 months ago #21641 by partymarty
Anyone know any alternatives?

I'm building a camera mast and want to use the cover as the mounting point, but can't find anything that has the same thread.

I plan to underengineer a few until I get to the minimum strength required, so want to avoid using originals if at all possible, also I'd prefer a flatter design than the epic one that has handles indented.

both whitworths and BCF were a fail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21657 by [email protected]
I dropped a note to Greg Barton at Epic. Here's his reply:

Hi Rob,

The covers are not a standard off the shelf item (made specifically for our boats), so unlikely to find anything with a matching thread. Further they are lightweight, so may not have the required strength depending on the height of camera mast and associated stresses. The only thing I could recommend is to get a spare hatch cover or two and see if they work.

Sorry we can't be of further help.

Best regards,

Greg Barton

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: partymarty

More
9 years 6 months ago #21658 by [email protected]
Of course you could make yourself a round flat fibreglass disk that you could glue onto a spare cover to reinforce it and attach your mast to that.

I'd be worried though that given the lightness of the structure, that if you come off the ski, it might rip the entire hatch cover off.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 6 months ago #21659 by J3ZZA
Maybe have a look at this range of inspection hatches / ports made by Ronstan. Details on their website include diameters for hatches and surrounds. Maybe you could fashion a new female to fit within the Epic female and modify the new hatch cover to suit the camera mast. Ronstan are a really helpful marine hardware company operating out of Melbourne. You could probably find out what threads they all are with an email to the contact details on their website.
Have a look at: www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/range.asp?RnID=127

Current: Carbonology Vault, Carbonology Boost LV, Vajda Spirit K1
Previously: Fenn Swordfish, Sladecraft Sonic, Older K1, Elliott Vindicator, Elliott Marauder,

More
9 years 6 months ago #21662 by Ranga
I would not use the hatch as your attachment point. It is a light weight cover and housing that is only bonded onto the ski with glue, designed to cover the rudder parts only.

If it were a screwed and bonded heavy duty hatch you could be almost 100% sure of its security. However it is still only designed for its application ie watertight hatch, not mounting point.

These cameras are very expensive and I would not go that route.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert

More
9 years 6 months ago #21692 by Simon Haywood
Partymarty, I've been going down the same path - haven't had a chance to road test my rig yet...just finishing it now.

Couldn't find the fittings I liked - so I made them!
The mast is aluminium (TV aerial) with a plate(to hold the camera) tig welded on.
The base is aluminium rightangle section with a bit of tube tig welded to it...Base is screwed into the ski with sikaflex 241 - mast is currently held with a 'R' clip I'll upgrade to a tag screw before the test run.
The rudder inspection cover is holed out to slide up the mast (for fitting) the threads have been ground off and will be held with a bit of velcro.

NB: I've mucked around with boats all my life...I like tinkering

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 6 months ago #21714 by Jmuzz
Is yours a newer model with the tether point built into the deck?
I would use that, better than messing with the hatch.

If not then I don't really see a nice tether point added to the deck hurting resale, its an added bonus having that added and by the time you sell it (which doesn't sound like you plan to soon) it will be an old model boat with honeycomb patters and stuff showing through anyway.
No point saving a boat for the next owner when simple age is going to depreciate its value anyway.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21747 by bannyb
Hi Marty,

I've been trying to work the same concept myself. Have tried two different hatches from online but both threads don't match! Should have checked here first. I've got one that seems to thread in about 3/4 of the way before it binds up (actually both do the same) and am going to use it as a test as I think It will be secure and waterproof as is but will add a bit of Vaseline? as a back up. I'm going to test it on the front hatch as it shouldn't cop as much water with a mount to take my garmin GPS and go pro.

Just a question for the Ed or Greg from Think if possible. Can we source new inspection port covers from Think drectly?? I've been on website etc and haven't had any luck. If not could you let us know the thread specification ie metric imperial?? Might just be able to source them of US if that's all it is. I have taken on board your comments on stress on this area but don't really paddle in too extreme of environments and need the footage of my stroke to try and improve as I'm still a back of the pack struggler at present.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ill let you know how it goes Marty.

Thanks.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21751 by [email protected]
Hey bannyb,

Confirm which ski you're on?

(Greg Barton is Epic Kayaks' CEO!) We'd need to ask Daryl Remmler for Think...

All the best
Rob

Rob

More
9 years 6 months ago #21753 by [email protected]
Stew O'Regan (Think Australia), has done what you're after - see photo attached.

He says that to the best of his knowledge the hatch covers are standard parts. I've dropped Daryl Remmler a note and I'll let you know what he says.

Rob

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bannyb

More
9 years 6 months ago #21754 by partymarty
I've had a bit of a change of plan and am now not going to use the rudder cover.

I had a brainwave while shopping today when I saw a toilet plunger.
I'm not going to use one of them. I'm probably going to use either a glass carrying one or a panel beating one, whichever works best. It'll then be strengthened with a 3 way stay system. Two stays will attatch (with quick release shackles) to the back two attachment points for the bungy, and the single backstay will clip onto a bit of line looped through the rudder port cover. This will allow me to position it pretty much in the middle of the back deck

I've got the gopro surfboard plug mounted onto a 80cm piece of 19mm balsa dowell. So if it fails on the boat I'll be out about $50 but have a nice light camera pole to show for it.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #21755 by [email protected]

I've had a bit of a change of plan and am now not going to use the rudder cover.

I had a brainwave while shopping today when I saw a toilet plunger.

Be sure to let us know how it goes - and post some pics of your setup!

Rob

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Finger trouble

More
9 years 6 months ago #21756 by bannyb
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the speedy reply and action.
Your right, my mistake, I guess it would be Daryl i need my question posed to as I purchased a second hand glass Think evo II a while back and am still learning to tame the beast. She's still getting the best of me in the ocean but I'm loving the journey!
Would be happy to buy a new cover or two off think direct to support them because I've tried a few off the shelf with no luck and just want some spares to experiment with.
Thanks again for the help.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21758 by epic5253
hi, why not use a fishing rod holder suction cup as base and fit a fibreglass pole to that?
Attachments:

More
9 years 6 months ago #21776 by Kocho
This might work too. Not sure if the "toilet plunger" looking part will be narrow enough to fit over the ski handle. But it will certainly fit a bit away from the tail of the ski if you just mount a simple eyebolt to the deck of your ski.

jacksonkayak.com/blog/2012/12/13/jackson...ailable-for-purchase

Of course, if you are looking to build your own, good luck as well! You can still add a new mounting point to the deck rather than the cap on the rudder box.

Latest Forum Topics