Stellar SEI stability question..

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22297 by TrickyRik
Hi,
I'm hoping you guys can help me work through a dilemma regarding my next ski choice..

Currently paddle a Fenn Bluefin (very stable equivalent to a v8). Taking advantage of an end of season sale I can get an SEI (sport layup) at a good price.. My only concern is that it might be a little too tippy. Unfortunately I can't demo the boat as it's too far away.

I can paddle my bluefin in pretty much anything and reckon I am ready to move up a level.

I've tried a v10 (new shape)) and found it ok on totally flat water (not a ripple) but as soon as any chop appears I'm in the drink.. and in 2 to 3 foot chop (my usual conditions) I really struggled to remount. I've also tried out a v10sport (new) and found it about right for my ability level, but no stock until next year and kinda pricey.

Checking Wesley's chart

www.surfskiracing.org/surfski-reviews-updated-march-2012/

The SEI looks almost too good to be true.. Very stable and quick.. But at 46 cm wide I can't see how it can be as stable as a v10sport..

I read a number of other threads where the SEI is compared to the v10 as being fairly similar stability wise which has me a little confused and thinking maybe it's tippier than I'm thinking.

Before I drop the cash down it would be very reassuring to hear feed back from anyone who may have tried these skis out.. Ideally I demo the SEI first but unfortunately that's not possible..

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help straighten my thoughts out on this !
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by TrickyRik. Reason: Errors..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22307 by topswimmer
Hi TrickyRik
Stop messing about & go for the SEI!
Its about time you had a swim instead of spending half your time admiring my remount skills.
On a serious note i know its tricky but i reckon you have the time/availability to get comfy with it!!
Just means that soon i'll have to upgrade again just to keep up
The following user(s) said Thank You: TrickyRik

More
9 years 5 months ago #22309 by TrickyRik
I am definitely over thinking this and making it trickier than it needs to be..
And now kinda tempted to go for the SR as a more modest step up from the bluefin..

Many thanks for the vote of confidence but I will remind you of this conversation If I get the SEI and we both end up drifting out to sea being unable to remount ;)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22310 by Simon Haywood
Good choice on the SR TrickyRik - They're a great ski you'll really enjoy it.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22311 by TrickyRik
Hi Simon, you are certainly the man to ask regarding stellars looking at your boat line up !!

It was actually one of your previous posts that makes me think the SEI might be the best choice.. As you compared it to the new V10 Sport in the stability factor.. But if the SEI is more akin to a v10 then it might be a step too far at the moment..

The European distributer appears to have some pretty good end of season deals on the 2014 boats...
However, I need to cover shipping to the uk.. which bumps the price.. But the more boats I get the more I save (wife doesn't see this logic) as shipping is the same for 6 boats.

Financially quite tight at the moment but one option could be to get both the SR and SEI in sport layup ... Is this worth doing ? Or am I better spending more for the advantage layup and sticking with one boat... Either SR or SEI. I am keeping the bluefin for mega rough conditions and for wife / kids..

As an aside ... Anyone reading this in the uk and wants a Stellar let me know and we can get benefit from sharing the shipping cost..
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by TrickyRik. Reason: Error

More
9 years 5 months ago #22315 by Simon Haywood
TrickyRik, Yes - I do have a quiver - one for every occassion!

For the last eight months I've been trying to overcome a vestibular disorder which effects my balance. So based on last season(ours is just starting downunder) when I had reasonable balance. I found that all the skis that i've paddled compare very favourably with Wesley Echols chart - despite I don't have his skill/abilty and I'm significantly bigger (okay fatter) - I've owned and paddled quite a few of them too!

I had a V10sport Red nose - My SEI (Excel) is more stable and easier to remount and was lighter too. It is definitely in the V10 sport category for stability but quicker - the SEL is more like the V10.

I think the SEI will challenge you - that is a good thing and you will work it out.
The SR might bore you - but you will be able to throw all your power down - and that is a good feeling.
Alas, you have a choice - or extend your budget and get both!

I've never owned the sport lay up - But one of the guys I paddle with does - he likes it...Too heavy for me - I need to lift it on top of my car (it's a fair lift). If you're on a budget - stretch it and go the advantage or sell your soul and get an excel - there great! I'm going to hell I feel - I like the all carbon - ooh la la

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 5 months ago #22317 by TrickyRik
Hi Simon, many thanks for taking time to reply, very much appreciated !

You've confirmed my thinking that the SEI is the one to go for... It's impressive that stellar have managed to design a ski with such characteristics.. the single drain is an oversight though and from speaking with the agent the double Venturi is only available if requested prior to manufacture.. No big deal as I've seen a great thread on retro fitting an Anderson bailer :)

I know what you mean about being able to throw all the power down, in the bluefin this is easy even in messed up hectic 3 foot + chop which is great fun.. The thing is a barge but does also have a good turn of speed..

Very envious your season is just starting... In another week or so it will be freezing up here !!
Hope you have a good one !

More
9 years 5 months ago #22321 by M.v.E.
Hi TrickyRik,

I own a Stellar SR Sport for more than 3 years and I am very happy with it however I just bought an SEI Advantage. It is a little bit tippier than the SR but more stable than the new V 10 Sport. At least that was my impression. It is also faster and the bucket is more comfortable for me. So far I haven´t tested it in rough conditions but I am confident that I can handle it. Otherwise I still have the SR as a rough water boat. What I really like ist the quality and the weight of the Stellars.

Greetings

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22323 by Marieski
Hi TR

The notable thing to me is you are keeping the Bluefin. This means you will still have a boat to take out when the conditions are big/you are tired/want a strength workout. In this case I would take the boat that is further from rather than closer to the one you still have. This means you can gradually increase the difficulty of the conditions you take the new boat out in, while still having the other one for when you need a mental rest or the conditions are more challenging.

If you were selling the Bluefin, buy the SR. As you still have the Bluefin definitely the SEI.

As you can see, I have boats for three different situations. I paddle them all, but if I only had one, it wouldn't be the tippiest one.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
9 years 5 months ago #22330 by TrickyRik
Many thanks for the responses.. Decision made it's the SEI !
Thanks again

More
9 years 5 months ago #22331 by Spudnut72
Good decision. About 12 months ago I upgraded from a Spirit PRS to the SEI - Advantage. A big change in stability and speed but not a difficult leap for anybody with a bit of patience.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22332 by Watto
Yeah great choice TrickyRik . Agree wholeheartedly with Marieski about having one ski for big conditions - in your case your Bluefin - plus a speedier model. Have an SES and latest two venturi SEI both in Excel, outstanding boats oversized buckets aside. Enjoy.

Latest Forum Topics