Surfski Emergencies

More
9 years 4 months ago #22900 by uk_exile
Replied by uk_exile on topic Surfski Emergencies
If the researchers were seeking ways to decrease accidental surf board attacks (I'm sure sharks don't intentionally try to east fibreglass!) it makes sense to tow boards, but doing it right next to popular surf area isn't clever. Most animals learn or can be trained if something repeats & there's a reward. Sounds stupid but perhaps they were hoping local sharks learnt biting boards wasn't rewarded by a meal & hence made it safer for surfers ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22901 by wrybread
Replied by wrybread on topic Surfski Emergencies

Sounds stupid but perhaps they were hoping local sharks learnt biting boards wasn't rewarded by a meal & hence made it safer for surfers ?

You'd think, but I'm pretty sure they just found a reliable way to attract sharks that didn't involve breaking anti-chumming laws.

Thankfully there's not much reason to go to much trouble to train sharks against eating people, around here at least, since there really aren't very many attacks, especially when you take into account their numbers and the number of people in the water. But still, using a surfboard to attract sharks really strikes me as stupid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics