Frustration with IOP / Fenn Downwind

More
9 years 4 months ago #22649 by Metro
The Indian Ocean Paddlers Fenn Downwind race this weekend for months has been billed as IOP's premiere race, "with a two day weather window to ensure that the big money singles race goes on the best day." Who doesn't like the sound of downwind racing in WA with a weather window?! So, many of us decided to travel interstate for it. Looking at the wind predictions, it is not even a judgment call. Saturday has no wind on a terrible lumpy sea, Sunday is downwind goodness. Obviously we are racing on Sunday. Then IOP puts out a statement saying that after much consideration, for logistical reasons the singles race is on Saturday. ??? Hey where did our weather window go?! Many of us are now traveling a very long way for forecasted very ordinary conditions. That is frustrating.

There are certain to be replies here talking about how hard it is to put on a race, etc. We have all put on races and I get that. That is not what this is about. What is wrong here is the false promise of the weather window. It seems very disingenuous and is bad for the sport. Just be honest about whether you have a weather window or not and let us make an informed decision about travel, etc. In this case I think a lot of us thought, "What are the chances of two bad days in a row in WA?", and committed to the race. That now seems very foolish and many are not amused.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22656 by Dicko
13 knot SW with a 2 metre swell on Saturday V 16 knot Southerly and a dropping swell on Sunday. Pretty much the same. The SW is a more typical seabreeze than the Southerly. Lots of cutting and running and the swell is a bonus. Overly picky. Trust the guys that paddle it every day.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22662 by AR_convert
Sorry that the wind isn't playing ball. Some indicators now showing 9-15 knots WSW as well as SW, so no not ideal on our North South aligned coastline.

Hoping those that travelled for this weekend will be rewarded by great conditions for the doctor next week. Actually a WSW/SW next weekend would be great ;)

As a very occasional downwind paddler these days I stay away from the Perth beaches unless its more of a SSW. The Mandurah Cut Run spoils us southerners for having an easier downwind with a NNE course making the SW wind and swells easier to ride.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #22666 by Stew
I reckon the IOP guys made a fair call running the race yesterday. The more westerly conditions did make the course a little trickier, but rewarded those with excellent surfing skills. I don't think results would have been much different if the wind was straight up our backsides. The first half of the course was actually a lot of fun, the second half a little harder and bouncy.

All in all I'd say it was a very well run race and the guys involved should be commended for a job well done.

As for the Cut run, it's howling the next two days, cannot wait to see what this course is all about after hearing about it for years!!

Latest Forum Topics