GPS recommendations?

More
9 years 3 months ago #22850 by epic5253
Replied by epic5253 on topic GPS recommendations?
if you are using 1 source to export to different platforms, you will get that. Each platform calculates speed differently. If you use endomondo an a smartphone and compare than to the garmin data, if should pretty much be the same. the 1 platform records data per second and the other per direction change if I recall correctly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22851 by TonyB
Replied by TonyB on topic GPS recommendations?

Sifor wrote: I much prefer the Endomondo interface compared to Garmin. However, I've noticed Endomondo seems to be generally reporting my speed as slower, compared to Garmin. I imported some of my Garmin workouts into Endomondo and after comparing the speeds on the charts, the Garmin website reports my speed as a bit faster. I used tcx file to import into Endomondo.

Any ideas how/why this is happening? Is it a different smoothing or something of the raw data? I thought they would just display the data exactly the same butobviously not...

Interesting the Endomondo reads slower than Garmin as my Suunto Ambit also reads slower than the Garmins. When mates are paddling next to me at the same speed their Garmin 310xts will be reading about 0.3 to 0.5kph faster than my Suunto

More
9 years 3 months ago #22852 by wrybread
Replied by wrybread on topic GPS recommendations?

if you are using 1 source to export to different platforms, you will get that. Each platform calculates speed differently.

Are you sure about that? I've been poking around GPS data for the last week or so and the speed is encoded right into the data, so the platform shouldn't make much difference. Unless, I guess, they're doing some estimating between the recorded points?

Have a look at my downwind from last week.

www.strava.com/activities/223115269

That's handy, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't differentiate between when you're riding a wave and when you're not. That's what I'm working on, with this for example:

www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zoZ5GGoPJ78A.k5jdOzJoJ4yA

I'm mostly a surf zone surfskier, at this time of year at least, but this method should work fine for downwinders too.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22853 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic GPS recommendations?
Not sure if my 310xt is accurate or not, but if I put in my time and length of paddle as stated on the GPS into this Site, i go the same speed an my 310xt says.

www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/spee...tance_time_calc.html

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 3 months ago #22940 by wrybread
Replied by wrybread on topic GPS recommendations?
Well hallelujia, the Garmin Forerunner can export its data to a format that my script can understand. Here's Sunday's paddle:

www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zoZ5GGoPJ78A.kgQzBlkV4uuY

The colored lines are the rides.

Not too crazy about the Garmin Connect interface, but with a little effort it can export a TCX file, which my script then converts to the above map.

If anyone wants to convert a file, email it over (wrybread at gmail dot you know what). From Garmin Connect, click the Settings icon at top right, then click "export to TCX".

I'm curious what a downwinder will look like... A few more months until the winds start where I am.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23045 by fb_100006087582958
As hard as it is the first few times, I take my smart phone with me on the water, no pouch, it's ip67 rated as alot of them now are, and use the endomondo fitness app. Three years later the phone is still alive and I've got a history of previous sessions including average speed, distance, times at my fingertips.

Latest Forum Topics