v8 vs bluefin for stability

More
9 years 3 months ago #22910 by paulrj
Gday ive been kayaking for about 4 years and want to get into a surf ski for river and ocean,, been thinking about a v8 or bluefin,, which of these would be more stable but also fast..
thanx for reading
pj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22915 by topswimmer
Hi paulrj
had a V8 for about 8 months as a 1st surfski. I had virtually no kayak/ski experience & found it to be very stable even in the surf zone. On the flat i could get it upto 10km/h at a push.It's a great boat to build your technique but not so good for your balance as it's just so stable. i only say this because i really struggled with balance when i moved up to an intermediate ski.
A paddling buddy of mine has a bluefinn its slightly narrower by 2cm,slightly lighter & a tad faster.On the downside it has no deck bungees or the carry handles & bailer of the V8.
Which ever you go for i'm sure you'll have a blast!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulrj

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #22916 by Simon Haywood
Whilst you're are looking - Try either Stellar S18S or SR - I've had two V8 ultra (both models) the S18S is a better all rounder and has some bonus features too - check the video thread you'll see it in action - In Australia...the Stellar will give you a better bang for your buck too

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Simon Haywood.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22919 by CoastPop
Bluefin - if your criteria is stability AND speed.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22921 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic v8 vs bluefin for stability
I wouldn't forget the Eze in such a search for a new craft. Enjoy the search, and try as many models as you can.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #22922 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic v8 vs bluefin for stability
No matter which kayak you choose, you can always add seat padding to increase your instability. Epic came up with a padding kit that lets you add layers as you gain ability Stability Pads

According to Oscar Chalupsky, when you reach the last layer and can paddle comfortably, you are ready to step up in boat class. It seems like a pretty economical tool for training and beats paying $$$$$$$ for a boat you are not ready for and will struggle with for months.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #22927 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic v8 vs bluefin for stability
These are two good boats paulrj. The Epic V8 is a nice comfortable boat that is easy to handle on and off the water because of some good design features. I tried one in my recent search for a beginner ski. It is very, very stable. Maybe too stable and not very fast. Topswimmer made a good point in that the V8 will do little if anything to prepare you for faster intermediate boats. Of course you still need a stable platform to develop good paddling technique and the boat must give you the confidence to go out in various conditions. I chose a Bluefin and I'm extremely happy with it. It seems to me to stand out in the beginner ski market as one of few with great stability and real speed potential (in the context of beginner skis). You wont win any races on one but you wont be humiliated on it either, particularly in rough conditions. Like many other paddlers who have chosen their boat carefully; I've paddled straight past V10s, V12s, Swordfishes, Elites etc on rough days on my Bluefin because it is supremely stable but is still reasonably fast. At 5.9 metres long it can catch runners that the shorter beginner boats will miss. This is what ski paddling is about so the sooner you are catching runs the better. I don't know where you are paulrj but if the Nordic Kayaks Breeze is available to you; you'd do well to check it out. It is sadly not available in Australia so I haven't tried one but I think they could be a real weapon for beginners. There are some nice boats out there. Try as many as you can. Once you've narrowed it down to one or two; try to hire each one for a week or so to allow you to paddle them for long periods in various conditions. There are some comfort issues that may not show up until you've been paddling for an hour or more and maybe only in particular conditions.
Cheers. Enjoy the search.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Atlas. Reason: Left some info out

More
9 years 3 months ago #22929 by paulrj
Replied by paulrj on topic v8 vs bluefin for stability
Thanx for all comments.took the v8 for another spin and the bluefin..bluefin won hands down for comfort..speed and i felt more stable
Cheers
Pj

More
9 years 3 months ago #22933 by TrickyRik
The bluefin is an awesome starter ski, however, as topswimmer mentioned when you progress to an intermediate ski it will be quite a jump in the tippy factor.. I've just moved onto a much lighter intermediate ski (SEI) from my bluefin.. and to my surprise I posted exactly the same time over a 6.5 k time trial course on my new ski as compared to the bluefin.. I wasn't able to quite get the same power down on the new ski but even still there won't be a massive difference between them.. The only down side of the bluefin is that is a bugger to carry... Just too wide to wrap an arm around comfortably.. I use a small roof rack strap lashed around the hull over bucket as a carry handle, which I then remove and store in my pfd.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22934 by paulrj
Thanx Rik..yea tiz a lil awkward to carry Especially when its wet..at 63 yr old but think ime 20..i dont think i will go up in surfskis..but you never know..i live in perth west australia great rivers and beaches.went for a 6am paddle in the ocean ..first time ..bit nervous as we have very large fish here
Cheers

More
9 years 2 months ago #23116 by Agent009
I'm looking at a bluefin. Do most people carry them one hand? I need something nice and light and easy to carry.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23117 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic v8 vs bluefin for stability
Hi Agent009. Once my Bluefin is on my shoulder (a two handed operation) it's an easy one arm carry to the water unless it's windy. I am used to carrying a plastic ski that was well over 20 kg though so my definition of easy may differ from some.
Mine is a vacuum glass. If you have any doubts just spend the extra cash and get a lighter one.
They are such a ripper boat that they hold their value. Lighter boats are easier to sell if and when the time comes.
Cheers.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
9 years 2 months ago #23120 by paulrj
Hi i bought my bluefin vaccuum and love it..can carry with one hand under my arm.. great on the water.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23121 by Agent009
Cheers. Is that vacuum fibreglass, hybrid or carbon? And how would it handle breaking waves close to shore? (I.e. Impacts etc).

More
9 years 2 months ago #23122 by paulrj
Hi its vacuum fibre glass..nice in the swell but i havent been in beach waves with it yet.i think you could sbap any surf ski in bad conditions

Latest Forum Topics