V12 Touring Ski

More
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #23720 by Cryder
V12 Touring Ski was created by Cryder

Thought you guys might like this. My V12 flew off my truck on the highway a little over a year ago, decided to rebuild it as a touring ski, aka "The Ego Smuggler"

Pics and writeup on my blog www.fasterfarther.com/journal/

Cheers!

Nicholas Cryder
Last edit: 9 years 3 days ago by Cryder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #23721 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic V12 Touring Ski
That is very cool. Some people add hatches for the Missouri River 340 (more info on the MR340 at rivermiles.com) to make ultra marathons possible in a ski.

Your hatches are the closest to a touring kayak Ive seen though. Very nice work by the shop. Also, killer paint job.

How is the stability / responsiveness / feel affected by cargo on a tippy boat?
Last edit: 9 years 3 days ago by MCImes.

More
9 years 3 days ago #23722 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic V12 Touring Ski
Thanks, super fun to see it come back to life.

The ski started life as an Ultra, and now weighs 35 pounds. Not light by ski standards, but very light by touring standards. Especially so when factoring the amount of reinforcing for strength that went into it, and the addition of sealed bulkheads, rubber hatches, etc.

Paddling it, it is remarkably stable, the extra weight makes the boat far less reactive. It still goes downwind quite well, but is obviously more work to catch a run. Once on however, it feels very planted and solid. I am able to average 6.8mph with a full touring load. Not a lot of sea kayaks, if any, can do that.

-N-

More
9 years 3 days ago #23723 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 Touring Ski
That is Bad Ass!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 3 days ago #23724 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic V12 Touring Ski
Great boat, great paint job...also had a look at your other (business) projects...only your contact icon/button does not work :(
How can I contact you for more details/ideas?

Cheers
Ole

More
9 years 3 days ago #23725 by Cryder
Hey, thanks Ole! I had no idea the contact link was broken. My email address is nicholas(dot)cryder(at)gmail(dot)com

More
9 years 2 days ago #23726 by Hansie
Replied by Hansie on topic V12 Touring Ski
This is so cool

Custom Kayaks Focus
Red7

More
9 years 2 days ago #23727 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic V12 Touring Ski
Finally, a use for all that volume in the front end :P

Oh and 35 pounds I about what my first generation V10 sport weighed and is slightly lighter than a plastic ski I have that can still be fun downwind, although I reckon your V12 would be much quicker and more comfortable :woohoo:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 2 days ago #23728 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic V12 Touring Ski
I'm curious what happened to the stringers that run the length of the boat in the middle. Do you still have them, or did Sterling remove them and reinforce the hull to not need them? Thanks!

More
9 years 2 days ago #23729 by Cryder
Hey Kocho,

They don't run the whole length of the boat (surprising to learn this when we took the pieces apart). The stringer pauses just in front of the cockpit and resume in the nose. The foam stringers are roughly 2.5" thick, and we decided to wrap them in carbon and add some reinforcing strips that anchor to the bulkheads. The result is a hit in weight, but a noticeably stiffer / stronger hull that can now handle the weight of gear and big water. I'll try to take some more pics when I get a chance of the interior.

Loading it now for a three day tour in the San Juan Islands.

-Nicholas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho

More
8 years 11 months ago #23733 by Cryder
We had a nice big storm blow in on our three day tour this weekend. Here is a video crossing an open straight of water, in 30 mph wind with confused seas in the 4 to 6 feet range.

The ski is still a V12, and not a touring kayak. But I found it remarkably stable in some rather spicy conditions, and even with a full kit of touring gear, it was a joy to paddle.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23736 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic V12 Touring Ski
Your ski, as with most sea kayaks would be more stable with a load on board.

Latest Forum Topics