Newby looking to buy second hand ski in NSW

More
8 years 3 months ago #25542 by Salty Frog
Hi All,

Noticed that this section of the forum doesn't seem that active but thought I would give it a shot anyway.

I am looking at getting a second hand surf ski for fitness. Realistically, I can't afford to buy a new one.

I do a little bit of kayak fishing in a Stealth Fisha 550 - a South African fibreglass sit on top kayak, (60 cm wide, 550 cm long).

I am quite unfit but was hoping to try & work towards fixing that. I am around 5'9 & 110kgs.

From what I read I liked the look of an Epic V10 Sport. I am realistic & know that I might spend a bit of time falling off at the beginning. I'm fine with spending whatever time I need to on flat water to try & get used to the ski before getting more adventurous.

Any advice on good places to look for 2nd hand skis or any other tips or advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25546 by portmanm

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

More
8 years 3 months ago #25552 by Salty Frog
Thanks Portmanm

More
8 years 3 months ago #25555 by Dicko
Gumtree is the new best place to find skis. When you type in surfski also try surf ski cos you get 2 different lots of skis. Just checked and there's heaps on there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

More
8 years 3 months ago #25556 by Salty Frog
Thanks Dicko, appreciated - shall do.

• Cpdsyd
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25563 by Cpdsyd
Replied by Cpdsyd on topic Newby looking to buy second hand ski in NSW
Hi mate
If you are in Sydney - I recently bought one from Mario. Google Mario surfski. He has a range of second hand skis, the benefit being you can jump in them in the water and have a demo from his boats he'd down at Fairlight.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25564 by AR_convert
Lots of 2nd hand skis here

www.kayaksandskis.com.au

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #25565 by Salty Frog

AR_convert wrote: Lots of 2nd hand skis here

www.kayaksandskis.com.au

Thanks for that. Found what looked like a good starter ski for cheap on this site but was already sold.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25602 by Lego
Hi Frog

I'm new to surf skiing. A buddy has taken me out on the surf ski a few times, so I'm keen to get myself a surf ski.

Are you still looking for an epic v10, or are you looking for something more stable like the v8?

More
8 years 2 months ago #25608 by Salty Frog
Hi Lego,

I have actually picked up an old V10 Sport - 2006 model. I got it with an Epic mid wing paddle, padded paddle case, Rhino cradles, & leg leash.

Seemed like a decent deal for someone just starting out.

I picked it up from down south - around 4 hours drive from Sydney. Had a hard time with keeping it stable on the roof racks at highway speeds, especially as there was a lot of wind around. I was forever pulling over, re-tying it (4 tie down straps to try & be sure). Was a bit of a nightmare but finally got it home. I was out of the car so much I got sunburned though.

Have only had a very small amount of time to try it out in shallow water & found that I am very good at falling out. Shallow sheltered water for me for the forseeable future...

Latest Forum Topics