Stellar SR compared to Hawx 46

More
7 years 10 months ago #26281 by merijnwijnen
Hi all,

I am looking for a sub 6 m ski (due to transport & storage). I am from a sea kayaking background with quite some masters K1 time as well, no surfski experience yet. Real modern K1s are a bridge to far, even on flat water, but I never fell out of my masters boat, even in waves. 1.93 m, skinny build, 74 kg.
I tried the Think Evo (bucket to narrow for my hip bones), V10S 2g (very stable, felt corky and might need more weight), V10S 1g (a bit less stable, still corky). All of these are longer than 6m.

Main purpose is on big lakes and on rivers with large shipping traffic. On holidays also in bigger conditions (mediterranean, UK). For flat water I will keep my masters K1.

Tomorrow I will try Stellar SR and SEI on flat water (regretfully). I got an offer for a second hand hawx 46 in Elite build, but it is a couple of hours drive, so it would be interesting to know how they compare to the Stellar boats (or the V10S for that matter) before I start of on that trip. It seems that the cockpit is further back on the hawx, and in my experience with masters K1s they tend to run better with my limited weight when trimmed nose down. Reviews for the hawk 46 are hard to find. Any info is welcome.
From a length point of view the new Nelo 560M is very tempting, but the little amount of information I found seems to define them as real elite boats, even though the width is relatively large. An elite boat might not be a good idea to start skiing with.

Regards,

Merijn

Seakayak, flatwater racing and a surfski on order.
Looking for other ski paddlers in South East Netherlands (Maas / Waal)

Surfski: Nelo 560 on order :-)
K1:Kirton Tor
Sea kayak: NDK Explorer HV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #26282 by Dicko
Try a Carbonology Vault. 5.95 m

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #26283 by RedBack
I've paddled the new SR a couple of times and been really impressed with the improvement over the older model.

The change to the trim and fining of the catch-area have made it a genuinely quick boat in both flat water and on runners. Boat-run has improved markedly and stability is still amongst the best out there.

I too weigh 74kg, so my experience would be similar to what you're likely to encounter.

I've only paddled a Hawx 46 once, but I have followed one a couple of times during a coaching session.

For me (and everyone's experience will be different) it felt a bit like I was paddling "up hill" and it didn't seem to have much glide between strokes.

When following directly behind the 46, I noticed its stern "fish-tailed" a lot more than other boats, even at moderate power levels, so maybe that had something to do with what I felt in the ski.

Good luck with your search. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by RedBack.

More
7 years 10 months ago #26284 by wesley
RedBack is correct. The Stellar SR 2nd generation has exceptional glide compared to the V10S sport. Both have the same beam but SR is a foot shorter. The SR has excellent steering in any conditions including surfing and big conditions. The weight on most Stellars boats in comparable layups are roughly 2 pounds lighter as well. Think about the differences in construction as well. Stellar is now a 7 year old company with consistent manufacturing at one plant(Flying Eagle) and is ISO 9001 Certified and the owners have been making composite boats(Wintech Rowing which is #1 rowing shell in world, shells since 2000).

Having said that, Many Many paddlers have V10 sports and it is a very stable with nice speed and capable ski. Many V10 sport paddlers have not tried the SR to see and feel the difference.

The current SEI is the fastest of the intermediate skis and actually closer in speed to the V10 in downwind and conditions. It is not as stable as SR or V10 sport. The V10 had edge in flats. The SEI was our first attempt at a more rounded, tapered bucket, however does not taper much toward the footwell as our current skis, SR 2G, SES, 2G SEL 2G.
Hope this helps. Wesley Echols, Stellar Performance Director, USA and SurfskiRacing.com(#1 in Surfski Reviews).

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
7 years 10 months ago #26285 by Rookie
Hi Merijn,

The question for me is which manufacturers do you have access to? There are a number of skis available now that may be worth looking at but if you only have access to 2 or 3 brands then best to look at a comparison of those.

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #26286 by ShaneS
Hi there

I've been paddling the Gen2 SR Excel for about 12 months and love it in the surf and swells. I've moved to a more inland area that offers a tidal (but flat) river for most of my paddling so I went in search of an intermediate ski to maintain balance/stability in flatter water so I can still really enjoy the SR in the ocean. Rough stats are 76kg and 178cm tall, 47yo intermediate paddler.

I tried many boats including a Hawx46, although in the heavier layup. I found it a little wooden, un responsive and very stable - but still quicker than the SR in a straight line. I concluded it was a good efficient hull shape but the heavier weight made it feel less lively (and more stable) - also the fitout seemed a little agricultural compared to Stellars - so I bypassed it.

Out of interest I also tried:
- current generation SEI - not as big a step as I expected, though I paddled the Advantage (so maybe similar to above comments about weight)
- current generation SEL in Advantage layup. Nice boat and quick but I find the Stellar buckets awfully wide - I nearly bought it though until I sat in a Fenn and found the Fenn immediately comfortable and snug without need for padding. Somedays I wish I went with this boat though, as it was more stable than my end choice, especially the way secondary stability firms up before the thing turns turtle.
- Epic V10L, nice boat but not as nice as the Fenn (although easier to remount)
- Fenn Swordfish hybrid - probably the boat I should have bought but didn't feel it was as a big a step as I was after
- Fenn Elite S was the final choice - more boat than I can handle on anything but flat water but it puts me at bottom of a long learning curve and saves me from a boat upgrade in a year's time - I hope.

If I didn't have the SR as a back up I would have settled on the SEI, but the luxury of an SR ocean ski and a Elite flat water ski has me stretched between two extremes - I might even fill the gap with an SEL or Swordfish if the bank manager smiles upon me.

SS

Fenn Swordfish S Carbon Hybrid - 2016
Fenn Elite S Carbon - 2016
Stellar SR Excel - 2015
Cobra Expedition - 2013
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by ShaneS. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
7 years 10 months ago #26287 by AdrianBruce
Agree with most of the comments here. Other input is that at 193cm tall, you are unlikely to have enough adjustment in the Hawx 46 foot plate. I paddle it on the most forward notch, and I am only 180cm. Forget the 560M for the same reason - it is even shorter.

More
7 years 10 months ago #26288 by jfudo
Legroom is critical at your height. I'm about 6'-2" (188cm) but my inseam is out of proportion at 37" (94cm), which is probably similar to or even longer than yours. I have an SR 1G and I have plenty of legroom once I remounted the tracks (required drilling a couple holes). Just something to keep i mind. I have a Nelo that I don't fit in that I've been trying to get rid of for a couple years.

More
7 years 10 months ago #26294 by Simon Haywood
I looked at buying a Hawx 46 & 52 last year - You might find the leg length an issue also, if you have big hip bones you might find the bucket a challenge - I'm much heavier than you and couldn't get comfortable in the bucket but at full extension i could get my feet in... I was very disappointed, I travelled almost 3500km to try the skis out.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 10 months ago #26295 by merijnwijnen
Thanks for al info.
I think I won't bother about the hawx 46, as there is a serious chance that I do not fit. I am skinny but wide-hipped. I really liked the EVO II, but I just did not fit, that was clear within seconds. The V10S 2G (in performance) felt a bit like a barge. Stable but not very nimble. Somehow it did not make a big impression.

I have access to Stellar, Epic, Nelo and Think. Think is out due to the bucket width. Stellar have by far the best price-performance ratio, so I am very tempted buy the SR 2G (or the SEI), I will try both on Saturday. At approximately the same weight / layup the Epics are a whopping 700 euro more expensive.

I am not that focussed on flat water speed, as I will keep my masters K1 for that, including some flat water touring. I Like a challenge, moved in recent years from sea kayak tot masters K1. I the beginning I did not think I would master it, but nowadays I am relaxed, even in (smallish, not ocean) waves. Modern K1s will stay a bridge to far. I can keep my daughters 39 cm wide boat upright, but effective paddling is something completely different.
My main worry is that the SR will prove to be to little of a challenge. Under 6 m most skis are quite stable, except the new Nelos.

That is why the new Nelo 560 series is intriguing me. I really like the length. I am a firm believer in shorter boats, especially for the coastal and lake environment that I will be using it. Any real-life experiences how these do compare in stability to other skis? Information is scarce yet.

Regards,

Merijn

Seakayak, flatwater racing and a surfski on order.
Looking for other ski paddlers in South East Netherlands (Maas / Waal)

Surfski: Nelo 560 on order :-)
K1:Kirton Tor
Sea kayak: NDK Explorer HV

More
7 years 10 months ago #26300 by AdrianBruce
New 560 has less primary stability than I expected in a 45cm wide boat, and It didn't show the sort of speed I'd expect as fair payback for the instability. I have only paddled it briefly in flat water though, so someone who's paddled it more extensively in moving water may be able to offer a more valuable opinion.

Latest Forum Topics