Kayak Erg Thread

More
7 years 2 months ago #27962 by kwolfe
Kayak Erg Thread was created by kwolfe
So I was in the market for an erg an after a bit of a debacle, I lucked out and found a Speedstroke on ebay and jumped on it. I’m in Pennsylvania and lately, I have either had the lack of time, temperature or unfrozen water. My goal is to work on my technique while increasing my endurance so when I hit the water full time this spring, I’m ready to go.

Build quality – this machine is rock solid. I have clocked a number of 5k sessions as well as sprints and there isn’t even the slightest hint of looseness or lack of build quality. Everything is tight and well put together. Needless to say, this machine will last me quite a long time.
Feeling – I read many reviews that say it simulates water the best. Not sure I’d go that far. Water doesn’t necessarily pull in a linear motion however with good form, it is very smooth and the resistance is appropriate.

Pros – I found something quite unexpected with this erg. I have noticed in the past that my left shoulder would get tired faster than my right when on the water. This was amplified on my first few rounds on the erg.

The erg gave me the chance to really experiment in a controlled environment and what I found was that I was not sinking the blade in as far on my left side which was causing me to use more shoulders muscles. Part of the problem was that I was using too much right hand to control the paddle instead of relying on my left hand/arm/lat to drive the paddle. In the next few sessions, I worked on this and the next time I hit the river, I was much more balanced.

The other benefit is that the erg really demands a good form. If you catch is not strong, it will let you know not only through the feel of the shaft, but your 500m split time will immediately suffer. In addition, the travel of the shaft through the power phase and exit is much more consistent if your top/control hand is consistent. It really aids in creating a repeatable/consistent stroke.
I’d be really interested to hear others experiences and feedback. Last time I clocked my best time so far (after about a dozen rounds) which was 24 minutes flat for 5k at fan setting 9.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics