Topic-icon am i crazy to ship a surf ski to italy

1 week 5 days ago #28062 by yogavnture
I will email you . I'm finding a local car rental company In trieste that might work out. if I get a cargo van from them the ski on top will work. the traditional rental car companies prices for rental cars are about 2000 euros for two months in a compact car (fiat 500L) but then jump to like 3200 euros for intermediate. car. hell for that price I could buy a car and throw it away?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #28064 by Uffilation
yep, post #28034, 2nd link, post #27992, 2nd line
> e.g., let the Trieste Lady sell it later on and let her keep 1/2-2/3 or all of the money for her efforts.

1 week 5 days ago #28071 by yogavnture
I'm not smart with numbers. but what I think u are saying . I think is .........spend a couple of thousand bucks on a decent used. car. put the car in her name. then after two months. let her sell it and let her keep half the money is that your suggestion. what about insurance or if I get into crash . she wont want to get involved in that. can u buy a decent used car for 2000 euros that will function ok? and then just put it in her name? and have her pay insurance. she wont bite on any of this I dont think

1 week 4 days ago #28072 by yogavnture
UFFILATION . IF U REALLY WANT TO HELP ME. PUT YOUR EMAIL HERE LIKE MARIO DID AND WILL EMAIL YOU

1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #28073 by Uffilation
To my understanding, I thought you'd just need to get a "codice fiscale" at the authorities to buy a car (just google: US citizen car purchase italy codice fiscale) and a "permesso di soggiorno", your ID card, insurance, the "libretto." Registration costs can be 300-800 (or more) Euros dep. on the type of car.

I added a link for an insurance site and used car site in one of the previous posts. An international drivers licence (costs a few bucks in the US) w.b. of advantage.
I traveled the US many years back in a similar way (buying a car at the east coast, selling it at the west coast, that needed also some preparations in advance, incl. tax number, insurance, IDL, etc.). However, rules change quickly these days, in some countries even within 2 weeks (or while on the plane) and one does not now how things are currently done or if one still gets (back) in at all.
So I don't know how things are dealt with currently in Italy. Maybe there are somekind of travel agents (e.g. like US expats etc., who live in Italy and) who provide such preparations as a service?

I am sure Mario is better suited to help you on such matters as he is Italian.

1 week 4 days ago #28074 by yogavnture
I have 3 surf skis in usa. I know I like them. not sure about epic. seats look deep I like to sit on a boat not in a boat. ( I know the seats are deep for a reason) but I am tooling around the sea .I never do heavy surf. I'm looking at all the brands and it looks like fenn makes one with a shallow seat. I'm also looking at vajad or similar spelling. boat very close to epic v8 honestly I think I can handle more than a v8 ...........their is an Italian startup surf ski company that has pretty boats as well. HELL MARIO WHY DONT U JUST GET ME A CAR TO USE? FOR TWO MONTHS. I WILL PUT SOME CASH IN SOME SORT OF ESCROW ACCT. IN CASE U THINK I WILL DEFECT TO RUSSIA.

1 week 4 days ago #28075 by yogavnture
I STILL THINK FOR 2000 DOLLARS FOR TWO MONTHS. SOMEBODY COULD JUST GET ME A CAR OF SOME SORT WITH A RACK ON TOP. I WILL PUT THE VALUE OF THE CAR PLUS 2000 DOLLARS IN A ESCROW ACCT OF SOME SORT AND PAY FOR CAR WHEN I RETURN IT. IM ALSO BRINGING A BICYCLE WITH ME. I TEND TO JUST DRIVE TO A CAMPING AND JUST SIT THIER FOR WEEKS ON END NOT EVEN DRIVING CAR. ONLY RIDING BIKE. LAST YEAR IN CROATIA FOR TWO MONTHS I JUST WENT TO 4 CAMPINGS IN THE TWO MONTHS. AND CAR WAS NEVER DRIVEN WHEN AT THE CAMP

1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #28080 by Uffilation
" I TEND TO JUST DRIVE TO A CAMPING AND JUST SIT THIER FOR WEEKS ON END NOT EVEN DRIVING CAR."

Well in that case ... then I wonder why not renting a car just for those days that you need it to switch camping grounds, would'nt that be better than renting/buying one for two months?
E.g. a car longer than 4.21m for a V8 to transport it on top (use a "handirack" (google) with mandatory warning sign on rear) or with "length buffer" a Nelo 520.

One could also
- rent any other car for those days to load a "3 piece" take apart Vajda Next 52 or 46 INTO the car. Take the 3-piece Vajda home on your flight back > some airlines will do, some not, see eg:
www.airline-baggage-fees.com/sports/kayaks/
www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/18881-wh...rn-europe.html#28081
- there was a blog somewhere in the internet that may find via google, it was dedicated to travelling 3-piece sectional kayaks via plane, I lost the link though.
- and sufficiently in advance order the 3-piece Vajda from the US directly at the factory. Fly to Vienna, rent a car there (use a company that allows travel to the other countries > Avis, Sixt, Hertz?), drive to Bratislava, pick the boat up, load it INTO the car, drive to Italy/Croatia. Clarify possible customs issues though
- back in the US, paddle that boat, re-use it for all future trips to Europe or sell it to an urban hipster with storage problems. However, you might want to contact a Vajda dealer in the US?
- as you can see on the map > Vienna, Bratislava, Trieste, Croatia, all just hours of driving.
- or contact surfskicroatia to ask for boat rental?
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogavnture

1 week 2 days ago #28092 by yogavnture
thanks. what I know . I want a car the entire two months in Europe. my history has been the last 4 years in a row i have rented a car in Europe for about 2000 dollars for the two months. (if I go to Croatia they add on 300 dollars fee to that ) so lets say 2300 dollars for a two mmonth rental. now u see my dilemma. I WANT A CAR THE ENTIRE TIME.
I CANT LEGALLY PUT A RACK ON A RENTAL CAR. ALTHOUGH I DID THAT LAST YEAR. THE FIAT 500L HAS FACTORY SCREWS ON CAR SO ITS EASY TO DO. I would have preferred a bigger car . but the price from a fiat 500L to a bigger car is like 3000 dollars for two months.

I'm gonna investigate shipping my own boat over to Europe and leaving it here. I have an extra boat. hell it cant cost more than 500 dollars total including customs to fly a boat over here?????????

then I just pick it up with car with illegal rack on top and pray I don't get ticket or crash ?

other option is to get a european to let me borrow a car for two months but what are the chances a eu citizen would trust me .......zero.

don't u see. their really is no other option. I need to pay high dollar for rental and just be happy about it. and put illegal rack on top.

are not car rental companys thieves anyway? I want to investigate a local company in Trieste called publicrent.it ..............what u think about that company .? maybe they can help mme with a cheaper rental I know they have cargo vans.

americans are extremely leery of scams in Europe. we hear about how people will bust into a car in Europe. in usa. theft isnt really a issue like in Europe . I'm concerned even if I did get somebody in Europe to get me acar to borrow I might get scammed. my only idea is that I put some money in escrow withmy Trieste lady friend. to guarantee car. why uffilation wanna let me borrow a car for two months. ? I literally plan on driving to 4 Croatian campings and not driving car at all while im thier as I'm bringing a bicycle over here from usa

1 week 2 days ago #28093 by yogavnture
ufilliation. u are smarter than me. last year I rented a fiat 500L . and i have a car top rack for it in storage here. cant I just put pads on that rack and strap a surf ski down good and be good to go . with a sign on back.? WHEN I DROVE TO CROATIA LAST YEAR HORRENDOUS AND I MEAN HORRENDOUS WINDS ON HIGHWAY IWONDER HOW TO STRAP DOWN GOOD ENUF. I DO KNOW U HAVE TO STRAP DOWN BOW AND STERN FOR SURE

1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #28095 by Uffilation
yep, foam pads should do on a rack if erverthing is tied properly to void side movement on the pads + additionally tie front and back for the Bora with special straps, see pick below., but not too tight. If you have a fitting rack, ship it with ski and foam pads that you tested and got in the US. There are kayak foam pads that snuggly grip the hull or deck to avoid side movement.

However, in case you don'get the Fiat: I've also been using the handirack a while back for trips <100km, even in strong winds, but you'd need additional straps and think twice of how to strap with knots to avoid side movement. It's sturdier than one might think and it certified to allow for higher weights than even metal racks. For a long boat I'd still recommend to rent a station wagon type car to have enough distance between the two inflatable racks. Test them in the US with your ski, they are cheap enough to buy and try, imo.

I'd put a ski upside down though with these:
cdn.blessthisstuff.com/imagens/stuff/han...able-roof-rack-4.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogavnture

1 week 2 days ago #28098 by yogavnture
that inflatable rack looks cool looks like it would fit on any car. could I put it on my rental car illegally of course with no scratching.?
the fiat 500L has four factory screws u can just put a cheapo car rack ontop. I think its more stable than your inflatable rack . plus when I bring over to Europe my 7 ft long Greenland paddle I can put it on top too . illegally

1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #28102 by Uffilation
So as a wrap up of "am i crazy to ship a surf ski to italy", one could say "depends".

As you are so addicted to your Valhalla and would use it 2 months a year for some years to come (?) and seeminlgy would not enjoy or not feel comfortable on another ski, I'd say shipping does make sense for you. Although I'd still suggest to test other skis in the US. If seats were too low for you, there are solutions to raise them to your (and if it just were those padding sold for surfkis for that purpose).

You could find a place in Croatia (a camping site, marina, kayak club) where you might can leave your Valhalla for a fee for the whole year. I saw the prices for 2nd hand Valhallas in the internet, so you could even get one just for that purpose. There are also companies that specialize on shipping kayaks internationally (or at least do all the logistics for you) as I recall > google. For Italy though, still "Your're gonna need a bigger car" > means longer. So, rent different cars for different periods? One for the time in croatia and then switch to longer more expensive one just for the shorter period you'd stay in Italy, or vice versa?

Handirack, I'd guess some cheap stantard racks would come off easier from the roof when fully pushing the brakes than the Handirack. However, it can leave scratches if the is dirt/dust/sand unter it.

1 week 1 day ago #28112 by yogavnture
UFFILATION .ITS NOT A WRAP UP FOR ME TILL I PULL TRIGGER WHICH IM GETTING CLOSER. IM FINDING OUT THAT KEITHS VALHALLA IS ACTUALLY A LIFEGUARD BOAT SO I NEED TO STUDY THAT BOAT. MAYBE HAYDEN? I HEAR WHAT U ARE SAYING ABOUT PADDING BUT IF THE BUTT HOLE (SORRY) FITS LIKE A GLOVE NOW. WHY DINK WITH PADDING? I WILL TRY TO PADDLE OTHER BOATS I REALLY WONDER WHAT I WILL THINK IN THE MOMENT I GET INTO A EPIC FOR FIRST TIME. CAN I PAD IT SO I GET THE GLOVE FIT.?......JUST TO BE BLUNT HERE . IM HEARING THAT THIS ITALIAN POLICE LAW IS OVER RATED. HELL IF I JUST AM DRIVING FROM TRIESTE TO SLOVENIAN BORDER 40KM. I WILL MAKE IT. !!!!!!!!!! CROATIA NO LAWS ON THIS ISSUE..... IM KINDA SET ON TRIESTE. I CAN SUPPLY ALL MY FOOD NEEDS FOR THE TWO MONTHS AT THE GOOD ITALIAN SUPERMARKETS. THEN GO TO CROATIA. AND AS IT STANDS NOW WITH RENTAL CARS. CROATIA U CAN ONLY RENT FOR ONE MONTH AT A TIME AND THEN UNEED TO RERENT AT OFFICE. AND I THINK THE PRICES ARE HIGHER IN CROATIA. FOR RENTALS. SO IM KINDA SET ON TRIESTE. NOW I COULD DO ONE THING U SUGGEST. SOMEHOW SHIP THE SURFSKI TO CROATIA FROM USA. INSTEAD OF ITALY OR WHEREEVER IT WILL BE SHIPPED. THEN I RENT THE CAR IN ITALY. DRIVE TO CROATIA AND JUST KEEP THE BOAT THIER SOMEWHERE????? IN CROATIA PERMENENTLY........AMERICANS ARE LEERY OF EUROPE. WE HEAR STORIES ABOUT HOW MUCH BLATENT THEFT GOES ON THEIR ITS LIKE EUROPE HAS A THEFT CULTURE? SO IM LEERY OF ANY SITUATION OVER THIER. BUT I TRULY FEEL THE TRIESTE LADY. IS HONEST. HELL I HAVENT EVEN ASKED HER TO LEAVE A SKI THIER. IM JUST GONNA SHOW UP TO HER WITH THE BOAT AND NEGOTIATE. A DEAL. THIS IS BEST WAY. I GUESS IN CROATIA AT LETS SAY THE FIRST CAMPING I AM GOING TO . CAN ASK THEM TO STORE IT I GUESS. I KNOW THEY STORE OTHER STUFF FOR OTHER PEOPLE. I WOULD JUST LIKE BUILT A BIG WOODEN BOX AT CAMPGROUND SOMEWHERE WHERE MY BOAT WOULD SIT IN. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH MONEY I GUESS. I NEED TO CALL SHIPPING COMPANIES I KNOW ALOT OF STUFF IS JUST FLOWN OVER NOW. I DID CALL FED EX AND THEY SAID THEY DONT DO IT . BUT THEY GAVE ME SOME NAMES. SO I CAN EITHER FLY IT OVER. OR PUT IT IN STRONGER CONTAINER THAN BUBBLE WRAP AND DELIVER IT TO A PORT IN EASTERN USA FOR BOAT TRIP OVER. THEN I ONLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH CUSTOMS. MAYBE THEIR IS AN AGEENT THAT CAN DO THE WHOLE PROCESS FOR A FEE. I WILL INVESTIGATE. THIS SEEMS DOABLE. ALOT EASIER THAN SENDING OVER A CAR. ITS JUST A FIBERGLASS PADDLE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!

1 week 1 day ago #28115 by yogavnture
UFFILATION . GO TO GAISFORD SURF EQUIP. WEBSITE. SEE THE PICS OF A GAL ON A BOAT. SHES SITTING IN A NARROW HIGH COCKPIT. ON TOP OF BOAT NOT IN IT. I NEED TO STUDY WHAT A LIFEGUARD BOAT IS AND WHY ITS DIFFERENT THAN A RACING SURF SKI. AM I THE ONLY REC PADDLER ON THIS SITE?????? THAT JUST WANT FUN AND NOT BATTLE HEAVY WAVES. OR OTHER RACERS TO THE FINISH. I WANT TO ENJOY THE SEA AND LOOK AT FISH........ARE NOT THE LIFEGUARD BOATS THE FIRST SURF SKIS EVER MADE? AND THEN YOU RACERS STARTED TO ALTER THEM? I NEED TO TO FURTHER STUDY BUT I THINK U GUYS ARE PADDLING SURF SKIS FOR OPEN OCEAN RACING AND THE LIFEGUARD BOATS ARE ONLY FOR GETTING THRU INITIAL SURF. WHAT IS A LIFE GUARD BOAT????????WHY WOULD I CHOOSE ONE. I HAVE STARTED A THREAD ON THIS SUBJECT GO LOOK

1 week 1 day ago #28116 by yogavnture
VALHALLA FOR SALE ON GOOGLE. SECOND PAGE . RIVERMILES SITE FORUM HAS ONE FOR SALE. THIRD PIC. ITS RED CAN U POST IT HERE

1 week 1 day ago #28117 by yogavnture
DID U SEE RED VALHALLA ON RIVERMILES FORUM? BEST PIC OF A SHALLOW SEATED LONG LEGGED SURF SKI...SHALLOW SEAT AND DEEP LEGS BETTER FOR BACK

1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #28119 by Uffilation
talking about transporting surfskis and traffic rules ...
tranpsort of McLaren sit on top Surfskis to the beach in the 1920s ...

www.surfresearch.com.au/sMcLaren_Truck_1929.jpg

seen that old 2nd hand fenn tarpon on sale in cali?

regarding seats/height/shape, see adjustable Charger Surf Ski, you
could get custom seats laminated for any boat to put in, just need to
find someone, who can in Cali ... (aus links though)
www.kayaksandskis.com.au/classifieds?gID=4&ccm_paging_p=4
www.gumtree.com.au/s-sport-fitness/surf+ski/k0c18314

talking about oldschool, flat'n SOT type 1940s surfskis for sale in aus
www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/merewether/surfi...w-paddles/1138704945

2 days 9 hours ago #28200 by photofr
@yoga:
I am going to try to make it easier...
Indeed, Europe is a union; it regroups several countries similar to how the US regroups several states, they have European laws very similar to how the US has federal laws, they also have country regulations similar to how many state laws that are in fact different. There's nothing different there, so no need to bash any country or union. Between us, yes I wish all European countries would have the exact same laws, and yes I also wish that every single US state would follow the same rules and regulations.

We also cannot deny it: the USA is a little more customer service oriented than most EU countries, and it is also rather clear that a lot of effort is placed toward tourism and welcoming tourists into the USA - but not all states. WV, for instance, doens't really understand tourism... so there is no need to get all bent out of shape when two or three EU country isn't as welcoming as you'd like them to be.

You problem remains exactly the same - yet, we are still trying to help. I must ask you though... did you CALL MARIO who lives in Italy? He probably has the exact solution for you.

Language and such... well, don't insult a European before visiting their country. If we didn't speak english to you, I wouldn't be sitting here trying to explain different thing. Perhaps show a little more gratitude when people are helping you in your language.

Seemingly, you don't know me... but perhaps you should know that I grew up in Hawaii, went to school there, and spent nearly 30 years living there. You were talking about stupid laws, so I brought up Hawaii and its stupid speed limit laws. We were limited at 55 mph for 30 years, even on a deserted 5-lane freeway.

What I am really trying to say is that there are stupid laws the World over. It's what you make of it... so my advice is:
Seek help with Mario.
If unhappy with potential solutions or cost, take your inflatable.
Consider changing sports while on vacation: like SUP.
Consider renting a ski instead of bigger cars and racks.

At least consider taking a big breather, relaxing... because things are never as bad as you are making them sound.

Very best of luck, but more importantly: enjoy your vacation.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

2 days 27 minutes ago - 1 day 4 hours ago #28206 by Uffilation
Yogavnture, do more yoga please, esp the OM-part, esp. before any ventures.
However in reply to your rantings in the different threads:

> "I don't really see myself spearing someone or creating death with a fiberglass kayak on top of a car "
That's where Italian law makers seem to disagree: if one puts a 6,5m long ski on a 3,5 short car and drives on those narrow/curvy streets seaside/townside or someone bumps into them, when the ski-guy suddenly brakes, hence the rule. Their country, their kind of traffic behaviours, theit sreets, their point of view: their rules. You argue with safety regarding the 55mph speed limit, but deny safety<>length aspects on kayak transport? Don't get me wrong, I don't like the strickt rule in Italy either, I too find it stupid to have different rules on rear signs and "overhang" lengths. I have complained about this myself in this forum.

> "Why you bring up 55mph speed limit":
The art of destraction allows to jump topics. I COULD EVEN JUMP TOPICS WRITING THEM IN CAPS. Ok, joking asside, PhotoFR's intention was to point somehting out using irony. If we come to the US, we drive 55mph, why? Because it's your country, your rules. We don't start insulting all Americans to have that rule changed for us and we don't make it a debate on if we like the General politics of your Country.

> "why do you bring up open beverage law", "THIS IS A surf ski forum not beer drinker site".
Same as above, again, the art of destraction allows to jump topics, lol. Some make political careers by this, lol. I COULD EVEN JUMP TOPICS WRITING THEM IN CAPS.
Yep, drink and drive is a no no no, that makes sense and > same here.
Having a plastic cup (open beverage container) with beer in your hand in your car = no no no = logical here as well.
However, enforcement of that law as opened beverage law and applying it to an opened bottle of coke on the back seat, because there could be alcohol in it, is silly. Yep, seen that happening.

> Talking about hopping topics: "what is wrong with you Europeans? I cant carry a kayak on top of a car. sales numbers of kayaks in europe must really suck do this regulation"
Try to ride a bike in the US, bike sales must really suck..

> "AMERICANS ARE LEERY OF EUROPE. WE HEAR STORIES ABOUT HOW MUCH BLATENT THEFT GOES ON THEIR ITS LIKE EUROPE HAS A THEFT CULTURE? SO IM LEERY OF ANY SITUATION OVER THIER. "
This is a surfski forum, not a crime forum. See it from the light side though, you are less likely to get shot here, because everyone get's his gun stolen as soon as one leaves the house, esp. as even thieves are so busy stealing from other thieves and everybody else is so busy with stealing stuff, that you might even walk unnoticed through the streets.

> " I know how Europeans are . not wanting to help foreigners. but If u come to usa u will see a country very willing to help you in your quests. "
There are not "THEEEE Europeans", it's not the monoculture here compared to the area where you seem to have grown up. How many countries have you traveled here? And exactly why did a couple of "different" Europeans here try to help you and in your language? I have traveled the US east to west, seen the hole spectrum from honest hospitality to inbread hostility, from educated culture to retarded racissm. So? Happens. Not going the say "all Americans" are like this or that. And again, the way how you would say it, I guess: "Don't come here, if you don't like it here", what do you want in Europe? Sure that Disneyland or the canal at the Venetian in Vegas wouldn't suit you more?

> You got into all this because first you needed that 6.5m ski and put that on a car in Italy (ask Freud why it must be a 6.5m ski for those waters, not a 5.9m-X ski lol). You have been answered on what min. car length you'd need for which ski length (1.3x boat length) e.g. V8, V10, etc. and what car models are suited. Not anyone's fault here if your AMERICAN car rental company, seated in Italy, does not allow you to put a rack onto the roof to get a ski to the border.

> "Im considering buying a boat in sloveniaor Croatia and just not driving thru Italy........."
That was one of the earliest tips you got if you don't intend to travel/paddle in Italy anyway (now the circle closes ... lol) ... or switch rental cars if you stay longer in Italy or let the Trieste lady or friend/relative of her transport it to the border if you need to buy that ski in Italy. Else get any ski of the brands used or new outside Italy in one of your drivethrough countries or Croatia ... or get a 2-3 piece surfski at Vajda for travel freedom all across Europe, even in Italy ... or contact surfski.crotia and ask for advise on used/rental skis .... contact Mario ... or ... or ...

I guess it's the way you approach folks and what you then interprete as unfriendlyness towards you > is most likely just an echoe.

Good luck and enjoy your time!

Latest Comments

Protected by R Antispam