Does weight of a ski significatively affects its buoyancy?

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28281 by Canario
I'm thinking of buying a Fenn Swordfish. I tried the glass vacuum layup and was nice. Some friends tell me to buy the hybrid to transport it easily and get more acceleration, but I'm afraid of loosing stability by loosing buoyancy. Would you say that a couple of Kgrs less would affect so negatively buoyancy?
Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28283 by Atlas
The weight of a ski can dramatically affect its stability. Quite a bit has been posted on this topic over the years. I can't explain exactly why but light skis can be difficult to control in rough water. They don't seem to roll side to side any more than heavy skis but in my experience they seem to pitch and yaw much more than heavy skis. I have a carbon hybrid Swordfish S and I've been thinking of swapping it for a vacuum fibreglass one.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics