Recovering from torn rib cartilage

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 3 days ago #28741 by MCImes
Recovering from torn rib cartilage was created by MCImes
Hi guys,
Trying to push something heavy at work, I managed to tear The cartilage on the left side of my ribs just under my breast about 2 weeks ago. Apparently at 32 I am no longer superman. Damn it.

It probably isn't too bad in the grand scheme, but it'll keep me off the water for ~4 more weeks. Luckily I'm traveling for business, so the temptation to paddle is offset, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and has any advice for recovery or training in the mean time without exasperating the injury. After 2 weeks it's starting to feel a little better, but is still noticable of I sneeze or attempt hard work

My doc basically said there is no treatment but time and 'if it hurts, don't do it'. Anyone else have a similar experience I may learn from?

As always, thank you much,
Marcus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 days ago #28743 by Watto
Sympathise Marcus, been there (broken ribs and cartilage tears) heaps - in fact quick check in the old brain box would be over ten times with at least two of these during periods when I've been paddling regularly. With that behind me have to go with your savvy doctor 100% - "there is no treatment but time and 'if it hurts, don't do it'." (Well, do it a bit less was my approach.)

With busted ribs there's a period where paddling is clearly not possible. After that point however, even when with some adjustment in the boat you can kinda-sorta paddle ok, things like lifting a ski or a 22kg plastic onto and off a vehicle or - gasp - getting back into a boat when you've come out, are extremely difficult. (Try scuba diving too early - ooo that didn't end well.)

The cartilage injury is a dicky one because unlike a knitting bone which seems to have some degree of its own integrity (after a point), I reckon you can re-injure or exacerbate the cartilage problem if you do too much. Regardless however that's where your Doc's advice is good, something that most blokes just end up doing anyway, stick a band-aid on it and get back to work until the bleeding gets in the way again haha.

Though festina lente a good adage - making haste slowly - I sympathise with trying to push the envelope. When this becomes counter-productive and you're no longer healing effectively, that's when you just have to step back a bit and let nature do its work. To my knowledge there is no physio or exercises that make a difference however that worthy of your own research. For cartilage healing and general joint well-being especially in the long term (I suggest you take this stuff forever and ever) I'm a big fan of glucosamine (with chrondoiton). Again read up on this, but has worked for accident prone me with two meniscal tears (knees), three shoulder ops, rib cartilage, plus dislocations of various joints blah blah blah . Bloody marvel of modern medicine but everything still well-oiled and working. Only get a stiff back from sitting on my arse for too long..

Good luck, all will be fine in time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCImes

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 2 days ago #28744 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Recovering from torn rib cartilage
Excellent advice watto. Thanks

I know this may vary a lot based on the severity of injury, but After the initial pain passes, anyone know how long I am at an elevated risk or re-injury? Like, is a full heal a 3-4 month period? more? Less? Can't say?

Thanks again

More
7 years 1 day ago #28747 by AR_convert
Good points by Watto. I did this in a marathon race a few years ago getting out on a portage. Felt like I'd busted a rib but it was cartilage. ( in bed for 3 days, couldnt laugh, sneeze,cough for a week or more without 9/10 pain). I used the heat pack/cold pack method to promote faster healing. Back light paddling in 3 weeks.
My experience with this is that you just ease back into it, yes you are at an increased risk of injury, I have had a couple of twinges since but they tend to clear up faster (within the week). My suggestions that helped me
No twisting while carrying any weight.
When getting out of the car, swing both legs out before you bend forward to stand, (avoiding twisting with one leg still in the car and bending forward)
Gentle warm up of twisting before going for a paddle.
Try to stick to flat water for a while, paddle braces can really hurt your core!

Always looking for the next boat :)

• MCImes
  • Visitor
7 years 1 day ago #28748 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Recovering from torn rib cartilage
Thanks AR. More good advice.

Luckily mine sounds much less severe than yours. My pain was probably never more than a 5-6 at worst, and is already down to a 3-4. A deep breath still give a little pain and sitting up is unpleasant, but it doesnt sounds as bad as yours. That's encouraging that you were able to paddle in just a few weeks.

I'll have to fight the temptation to go hard once the pain subsides. Luckily I paddle mostly flat water, as that's all thats around me, but I'll take it easy for a few weeks afterwards.

Thanks again guys

Latest Forum Topics