Jantex Gamma vs. Braca Van Dusen XI

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #28946 by Newbflat
So I'm in the market for a new paddle and one with a more forward catch then the Epic Small Mid that I have been using for some time. The obvious is one of the Van Dusen derivatives like a Gamma and G-power galaxy ...and friends, Or the Braca XI Van Dusen. Has anyone who has experience with Jantax Gamma's and the Braca XI care to comment on the difference? Is one more forgiving in the rough?, more stable in rough water? Stronger catch.... etc. This would be primarily a downwind paddle so forgivingness and predictability are traits that I'm looking for. I'm just trying to get more power forward and a faster turnover for catching bumps.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Newbflat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #28949 by nell
I've got both the XI 735 and a Jantex gamma rio small plus. Both nice paddles. Neither would be my "go to" paddle for rough water paddling as neither one adds stability to what you're doing - though the XI adds a more stable feeling for me than the Jantex does. Of the two, I prefer the XI for flatter water. For rough water, an Epic small-mid or one like that with less twist is what I would stay with.

Adding another to the mix - I demo'd the new Gara Odin a couple of days ago and was really impressed with it on flat water (the one I used had a 40% carbon 2 pc shaft). I think it could be a good rough water paddle, too. Another one to think about would be the parallel edge blade like the old Fenn 1 which I really liked in rough water. Gara has a new Magni that looks to be the same thing and that might be worth looking at.

More
6 years 10 months ago #28958 by Cerca Trova
I have the XI 705 cm extra light with 19k soft shaft, along with the Gamma small plus and small, with flexi-soft shaft. Almost all of my paddling is in rough chaotic waters. Both of these brands have a strong catch, along with a powerful smooth exit. For really rough conditions in my Stellar SEI, or my Vadja Next 43 I prefer the XI as I feel it has a slightly stronger catch. The Braca and the Jantex are beyond a doubt the highest quality paddles I've ever owned. And, I've owned many.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with either one!

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #28959 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Jantex Gamma vs. Braca Van Dusen XI
Mini thread hijack, but related to his question; can someone explain the benefits, drawbacks, or neutral differences that a twisted teardrop like the IX provides, vs a more 'normal' paddle like an epic mid wing?

Why paddle with a twisted teardrop vs straight blade?

More
6 years 10 months ago #28960 by kwolfe
I have very limited experience with this (stress on the word limited). I bought a maxpaddle jtech a few weeks ago. This is supposed to be the same as the XI and Gamma from what I read. I also have an Epic mid wing. I find the catch on the jtech is a little firmer and the exit to be cleaner/easier due to the twist. When you get good rotation, the blade wants to come out of the water at the end as apposed to my mid wing where I have to make it exit.

My limited experience means I may not be as attentive to the minute differences, but then again, if I can feel the difference, anyone could

More
6 years 10 months ago #28961 by nell
Very rough analogy here but I think it applies: think of the high twist blade more like a propeller, and a less twisted blade like a paddlewheel - the high twist blade encourages a higher and smoother turnover/cadence whereas the less twisted blade encourages a longer and smoother application of power.

I don't think that one is necessarily better or faster than the other. I use and enjoy several models from a few brands. If you've not tried many brands, ask around and try as many as you can - it's surprising how different two similar looking blades can feel in the water. Eventually, you'll find one or two that seem to mesh better with your style of paddling.

More
6 years 10 months ago #28962 by Newbflat
Thanks for all the replays. After replays here and talking to some other people I went with a Jantex Rio small plus, flexie soft shaft in a 205-215. While I like my Epic small mid, i do find it slow to spool up in a solid downwind. It is stable and forgiving but I'm craving a cadence increase in the bumps. Also some more bite at the beginning of the stroke. Plus a quick realise and 'freeness' in the paddle for a quick brace. I'm paddling a stable ski in the bumps (Stellar SR g2) so I'm not concerned about stability as much with the paddle as unpredictability or forgivingness. Anyway... new paddle! ...the fun begins.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
6 years 10 months ago #28973 by feeny
Hi Bill,

Probably too late with this post (sorry!) ... a few of us are in the paddle market right now - almost exactly the same brief as you - something for rougher water, with a bit of forgiveness.

Tried the same paddles as you, the Brasca XI was interesting, but the one that seemed to take the cake (myself included) was the Meek G-series - with a small blade.

I found that the catch on the Meek was a little looser than the Brasca IV (that's what Ive been using), which for me, resulted in an increased sensitivity to my body mechanics - IE more twist, less 'muscle'.

This in turn seemed to lead to comparable performance with lower heart rate. Now that can't be bad!

I've only had 1-2 paddles though, will try a few more before going ahead with the purchase.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #28977 by Fath2o
I sure enjoy my RPC3 small wing and, can't beat the price.

www.rpc3.com/kayakpaddles/small-wing-paddle

I also just scored an M333 paddle on craigslist for $25.00!
Great, strong paddle for the surf zone.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Fath2o. Reason: additional info

More
6 years 10 months ago #28978 by kwolfe
Yeah, my maxpaddle jtech was $250 shipped to my door. That included the light shaft and the upgraded padded paddle bag which is really nice.

Latest Forum Topics