Mauritius Ocean Classic 2017

More
6 years 9 months ago #29010 by Watto
Bit dim of me with only four days before flying out this Sunday, but any tips at all for Mauritius Ocean Classic other than "don't go you'll die" or something? Example, anticipating possible damage to hire ski in event of losing reef duel before event so taking bit of fix-it kit.

Any tips at all are welcome!:cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29011 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Mauritius Ocean Classic 2017
Don't know about tips, but, i'm jealous. Have a good time and good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
6 years 9 months ago #29015 by Hacker Mike
Don't know about tips either, but have been here for the last 3 days and going for my first paddle tomorrow. I will let you know if any wisdom is gained in the next two days.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29016 by LakeMan
I had to look at a map to find that island. Wow! It's a long way from South Carolina. Have a great time.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 9 months ago #29018 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Mauritius Ocean Classic 2017
Excellent Mike. Slide out and back through Le Morne Pass if you would and give me a heads up!

More
6 years 9 months ago #29021 by Hacker Mike
Yesterday we paddled to Tamarin to surf some waves and see the dolphin. Today we are heading towards Le Morne. I will let you know how it goes

More
6 years 8 months ago #29155 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic Mauritius Ocean Classic 2017
Just finished the week in Mauritius and absolutely -LOVED- this entire event.

For me, it couldn't really have been any better. Race day conditions were perfect, the days prior were pretty awesome.

Definitely returning next year and recommend this event to everyone. It's extremely accessible with both inner and outer reef courses and excellent support / safety boats / clinics and more.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29161 by LakeMan
I noticed you didn't mention what your place was. I'm guessing it wasn't first?
As long as you had a good time.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 8 months ago #29174 by Watto
Flew back in today, still recovering from the Blue Marlins (beers) and Mojitos - quantity issue only btw. Yes brilliant event, big scary stuff out there. Unfortunately I had a pretty crap run of it, bad asthma/breathing issues early on in the week, turned into chest infection thanks a lot so I really struggled. Seriously not fun out there but even with that annoyance and frustration still a brilliant week! Back for sure two years away.

Calibre of Tamassa resort superb - facilities, staff, food and grog, location all top stuff.. As for medical support the resort doc put me on Prednisone (heavy duty steroid I've been prescribed before) plus antibiotics and dry cough meds blah blah. Really thorough and cost same as here in Oz so no exaggerated fees. Even resort duty manager called in to my room just after I'd seen the doctor to check how I was, whether I needed anything etc. Special for good sized resort I reckon.

Re the paddling, difficult to do justice to size of those seas, pretty damn huge on the outside - 5 plus metre swells when we arrived Monday slowly subsiding during the week so race day apparently perfect conditions for all with decent breeze maxing low 20kmh and for the most part following seas. Option for either inside reef race or "wild side" which it sure is (Le More aghh!) Organisation of the event outstanding, pro's coaching, Mocke running commentaries laugh a minute, boat support from Travis and Dominique Henry etc superb, plus there you are in company with world champs and amazing individuals from all round the world who've done it tough in ridiculously hot conditions like Dubai to incredibly cold and isolated places like Tasmania and New Zealand :laugh: to prep for the event. I had chest rest day before and after the race but many paddled up to 100 kms inside and outside the reef Monday through to Sunday. Opportunity to paddle is huge. All paddles outside reef supported with rescue craft.

All up brilliant. Do it.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29175 by feeny
Completely agree with the above - an excellent summary (and way better than my brevity). The week exceeded my expectations on all levels.

Sorry to hear about the chest Watto. I recall during the Sporty relay I passed a bloke who was wheezing at the first turning buoy after the remount - I thought it strange for someone to be out of breath so early in the relay leg - now you've got me wondering if that was you!

More
6 years 8 months ago #29183 by Watto
Second series third leg? Mate about halfway up before that first turn against the current thought I was going to meet my maker. Was attempting to take it a bit easy but went into serious oxygen debt to the point of almost stopping - what I imagine waterboarding to do to you when your CO2 levels get up there and anxiety kicks in. 'Breathing' made no difference. Despite that flat water it was scary sh*t - I've felt better under some big sets. Haha anyway that was as bad as it got, managed to cope a bit better during the race with drugs on board. Placing irrelevant by that point in the week, just frustration having a crack at three or four runs and having to slow and catch breath before blasting off again.

Chatting with Sean Rice over a Mojito (or five) he said that maybe four years ago (he's done the event six times) it was three or four times bigger (what the faaark) with thirty foot faces that some were pitchpolling on! Can't find a crapping pants emoticon .. Hope to see you there in 2019 mate. I'll chase your email up and send you a few pics. Cheers.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29184 by feeny
Yep, 2nd race 3rd leg!
I was supposed to be paddling at 2nd leg but as i was pushing out my rudder busted completely and was facing 180 degrees the wrong way. I bolted bak to shore, Hank McGregor was our team captain, and there's Hank and I trying to fix the rudder in a pinch. We couldn't so I just jumped onto the ski of the 1st leg guy, completely set up wrong and went for it, only to plop out the other side and float away unable to remount! ...before the remount phase. Bad beginning!

Finally got on, got to the line and did the "official" remount without an issue. I heard you and seriously thought about stopping - I was actually wondering whether you were doing a double leg.

At least you were there Watto. It was an awesome week and glad you got through the race itself. That's some doing, especially with breathing issues. Im not sure I'd want it 3-4x bigger. It got pretty big on some of the earlier days before race day, and they closed it on a few days too.

Anyway, I'll be hoping to make it a regular calendar item. Also, over in WA (is that where you're from?) for the Doctor, so perhaps see you there.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29185 by LakeMan
Watto,
You may he unaware but beer and asthma don't go together. As one born with asthma I can contest to that. It's not the alcohol, it's the grains. The reaction may be instant or it could take a day or two but it does have an affect. Even though I don't drink anymore I still have to paddle with my inhaler. Last thing I need is an attack out on the water with no help.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29186 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic Mauritius Ocean Classic 2017

feeny wrote: Yep, 2nd race 3rd leg!
I was supposed to be paddling at 2nd leg but as i was pushing out my rudder busted completely and was facing 180 degrees the wrong way. I bolted bak to shore, Hank McGregor was our team captain, and there's Hank and I trying to fix the rudder in a pinch. We couldn't so I just jumped onto the ski of the 1st leg guy, completely set up wrong and went for it, only to plop out the other side and float away unable to remount! ...before the remount phase. Bad beginning!

Finally got on, got to the line and did the "official" remount without an issue. I heard you and seriously thought about stopping - I was actually wondering whether you were doing a double leg.

Ha, I was in your team. Went in your place when your rudder busted.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29187 by Watto
Cheers feeny, you're a champion for that thought mate didn't realise I sounded quite so dorky. Contact me 0420 998 166 when you're coming over mate and we'll catch up. Have three boats so you're bound to fit into one of them and lots of paddling going on that week. Few others coming over who went to Mauritius as well it honk. I'm close to the beach and about 5 minutes from The Doctors finish at Sorrento so plenty of action close by.

Cheers also LakeMan very interesting. I've managed my late onset asthma pretty well to date and been having fewer issues, was actually surprised not long after arriving to feel tight in chest. Beer here Western Australia not a trigger but well may have been the case in Mauritius - local brews of Phoenix and Blue Marlin. Only one way to test that I reckon - I'm grabbing a six pack of each tomorrow if I can track them down and get into some medical research!

More
6 years 8 months ago #29188 by Watto
No idea what that 'as well it honk' is mid above. Fat fingers on phone maybe.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29192 by feeny
Ha! Well, it was all good fun in the end and I'm glad we got it sorted. The chap who went first was pretty adamant he wasn't going back out there. Loved the colour of your hat too :-) And I never properly said thanks for the boat "support" at the changeover.

Watto, will definitely call. November will be here before we know it.

Latest Forum Topics